Username123489
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Could you do a foundation year while doing another alevel. My situation is this I was doing history alevel however I dropped this in year 12 I have now completed year 13 with two Alevels and awaiting my results I have gotten an unconditional offer for a foundation year.
Do I do the foundation year and do a 1 year accelerated Law alevel or should I ask my 6form to resit one of my alevels if the grade is bad do epq and do the alevel then.

HELP!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Username123489)
Could you do a foundation year while doing another alevel. My situation is this I was doing history alevel however I dropped this in year 12 I have now completed year 13 with two Alevels and awaiting my results I have gotten an unconditional offer for a foundation year.
Do I do the foundation year and do a 1 year accelerated Law alevel or should I ask my 6form to resit one of my alevels if the grade is bad do epq and do the alevel then.

HELP!
What grades are you expecting from your 2 A levels and what is it you wish to study?
I generally advise against foundation years except for limited reasons because its starts to use your very limited pot of HE finance, whereas you are much better using FE finance or your own. 1 A level could be £600- £1000, but a foundation year could be £5,000-10,000 depending on where you take it. On that logic an A level is easier and if you do well in all 3 could get access to better unis.
shahil888
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Which university is it with? Unless the offer is with a reputable uni I would recommend doing the a level, smashing it because you only have one to focus on, and then you’re able to apply for better unis with better grades (ofc idk what your current grades are though)
Username123489
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by shahil888)
Which university is it with? Unless the offer is with a reputable uni I would recommend doing the a level, smashing it because you only have one to focus on, and then you’re able to apply for better unis with better grades (ofc idk what your current grades are though)
University of Essex and I think I should be getting either BC or if the predictions are generous B B
shahil888
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Username123489)
University of Essex and I think I should be getting either BC or if the predictions are generous B B
I'm not sure how intense a foundation year is but I imagine doing one alongside an accelerated A level would be quite difficult, and you might risk doing badly in the A level. Having bad A levels is not the end of the world by any means but it will be a negative of your future TC applications which you will have to further make up for.

Personally, I would take another year of sixth form to do a third A level and maybe resit either of your other two if you get a C or below. If you put your all into that you could leave with ABB and then have better universities available e.g. a quick look showed me Russell Group Uni of Liverpool has ABB entry requirements.

Generally I'm skeptical of unconditional offers, they seem like an incentive to rush into a mediocre uni when you might have the potential to do better. At the same time, if being realistic you really don't think the above is possible then maybe not. Just some things to consider.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads