Subject Choices/Chance for UCL for BSc Stats and Management for Business

Watch
SimonRogers
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello everyone I hope you can stay safe and study well!

I am a student from New Zealand and going to apply to the BSc Statistics and management for business degree at UCL for 2021 entry.

My NCEA (NZ high school qualification) Level 1 and 2 grades were like really poor...... Not even reached 70%.

However, for my Level 3 (equal to A level), I have gained decent grades until now. My subject choices are statistics, calculus(In NZ these two are separate subjects), Business, Earth and Space Science and Chinese.

According to UCL's standard, I can definitely get an A* for calculus, A or B for statistics, A or B for business, A or B for Earth and Space Science, A* for Chinese but Chinese is my native language (I am an international student from China) so I would not consider that as competitive?

So could someone please give me advice on my subject combinations and my chance of getting in this degree to UCL?

Like can I use A* Chinese to compensate for my overall A level grades if I do poor in business or Earth and Space? And is Earth and Space Science considered equal to any subjects in A level?

Any answer will be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by SimonRogers; 4 weeks ago
SimonRogers
Rep:
?
And this is Earth and Space Science subject web

https://www.nzqa.govt.nz/ncea/subjects/science/levels/

it's basically ocean and atmosphere and geology stuff
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You will not be allowed to use the A* in Chinese as part of your offer, see the UCL admissions FAQ.

My interpretation from UCL's website is that you would be expected to get an (equivalent to an) A* in either Statistics or Calculus, and AA from your remaining subjects (excluding Chinese). My guess is that Earth and Space Studies would count because the website doesn't mention any subjects that are explicitly excluded. However, this is quite easy to resolve - just email the undergraduate admissions tutor, the email address is on the website.
SimonRogers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
You will not be allowed to use the A* in Chinese as part of your offer, see the UCL admissions FAQ.

My interpretation from UCL's website is that you would be expected to get an (equivalent to an) A* in either Statistics or Calculus, and AA from your remaining subjects (excluding Chinese). My guess is that Earth and Space Studies would count because the website doesn't mention any subjects that are explicitly excluded. However, this is quite easy to resolve - just email the undergraduate admissions tutor, the email address is on the website.
Thank you very much for your reply!

But when I am applying, do you think my subject combination would be fine for me to receive a conditional offer? (is it competitive?)

I heard of that those top unis like UCL prefer traditional academic subjects and business, Earth and Space may not be counted as those academic subjects?
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SimonRogers)

But when I am applying, do you think my subject combination would be fine for me to receive a conditional offer? (is it competitive?)

I heard of that those top unis like UCL prefer traditional academic subjects and business, Earth and Space may not be counted as those academic subjects?
It's correct that for UK A Levels, so-called 'facilitating' subjects are often preferred, although being preferred doesn't mean that they're necessarily required for a competitive application. In the end, this is all down to UCL's discretion so I'd really recommend just sending them an email (the email address for admissions is on the page for the course you're appplying for) and asking them these questions - that is totally fine. I'd do this sooner rather than later because once clearing starts, admissions will be swamped.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

They could use Chinese to holistically assess your application and give you blind credit for it, BSc business at UCL and business in general is oversubscribed at all Russell group universities... Some more than others... But all see alot of applications. 2021 will be a tough cycle...... Alot of people have deferred their place...due to covid-19 and the hope by fall 2021 a vaccine will be out and life will be less socially distanced.

You definitely have a shot at UCL... But definitely do focus on your PS and make it clear why you want to go to UCL. I did this for my top choice Nottingham (just graduated) BSc Management in a very targeted way..basically stating i was looking forward to first year modules and used those specific course module names... This is sneaky but since most courses use similar names you can get away with it... Also if you can smoothly integrate UCLs motto in somewhere that's a good way to do it also. For example Nottingham brands itself as Britain's global university, and so does UCL by the way...sentences like i want to be a global citizen and i feel studying xxx will help me achieve that. Admission tutors pick up on this sort of stuff, they inherently want students who are enamoured by their institution. People tend to perform best when they end up where they want to be, and universities know this.

Now that being said, look into some secondary choices also...Warwick, King's college London, Imperial etc.
Also you can look at Dutch research universities... They have less strict requirements but similar rankings for lower prices... University of Rotterdam (Erasmus), University of Amsterdam, University of Groningen for example or TU Delft... I'm going to do my master there after British undergrad, it's fully in English also... And they aren't as plagued by strike action... It's a notorious problem in the UK right now. 😂
SimonRogers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
It's correct that for UK A Levels, so-called 'facilitating' subjects are often preferred, although being preferred doesn't mean that they're necessarily required for a competitive application. In the end, this is all down to UCL's discretion so I'd really recommend just sending them an email (the email address for admissions is on the page for the course you're appplying for) and asking them these questions - that is totally fine. I'd do this sooner rather than later because once clearing starts, admissions will be swamped.
OK thank you very much I gonna ask them today! Also I saw from FAQs that there are on average 1400 applications for 120 places at stats department……
SimonRogers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
They could use Chinese to holistically assess your application and give you blind credit for it, BSc business at UCL and business in general is oversubscribed at all Russell group universities... Some more than others... But all see alot of applications. 2021 will be a tough cycle...... Alot of people have deferred their place...due to covid-19 and the hope by fall 2021 a vaccine will be out and life will be less socially distanced.

You definitely have a shot at UCL... But definitely do focus on your PS and make it clear why you want to go to UCL. I did this for my top choice Nottingham (just graduated) BSc Management in a very targeted way..basically stating i was looking forward to first year modules and used those specific course module names... This is sneaky but since most courses use similar names you can get away with it... Also if you can smoothly integrate UCLs motto in somewhere that's a good way to do it also. For example Nottingham brands itself as Britain's global university, and so does UCL by the way...sentences like i want to be a global citizen and i feel studying xxx will help me achieve that. Admission tutors pick up on this sort of stuff, they inherently want students who are enamoured by their institution. People tend to perform best when they end up where they want to be, and universities know this.

Now that being said, look into some secondary choices also...Warwick, King's college London, Imperial etc.
Also you can look at Dutch research universities... They have less strict requirements but similar rankings for lower prices... University of Rotterdam (Erasmus), University of Amsterdam, University of Groningen for example or TU Delft... I'm going to do my master there after British undergrad, it's fully in English also... And they aren't as plagued by strike action... It's a notorious problem in the UK right now. 😂
thank you very much for your advice on PS and choices!

They wouldn't give me credit for Chinese as they can access my nationality I guess……
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thank you very much for your advice on PS and choices!

They wouldn't give me credit for Chinese as they can access my nationality I guess……
Hmm, good point..lol.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
This advice is very questionable. If SimonRogers is only applying for UCL's course then a targeted personal statement is fine but in general, blatantly targeting your personal statement to a particular institution is risky and you probably have more to lose than to gain by doing that. I also think you're really overestimating how loyal admissions tutors are to their university if you think including the university's motto in your personal statement is going to give it a boost - they're academics, not vice chancellors!

The personal statement is there to answer two simple questions - why do you want to study this course, and why do you deserve a place? You do not need to kiss their feet to do that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (79)
38.73%
Take autumn exams (68)
33.33%
Look for a job (6)
2.94%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.43%
Take a year out (31)
15.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.37%

Watched Threads