Are there conservative religious groups in the West?

Watch
Adam_pir
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

In the East, for example, in Islam, there are important social rules, for example, not having sexual relations with any woman except for the wife, and prohibiting the establishment of sexual relations before marriage. Also, women should be modest, and should not wear nude clothes.

Recently, I watched a video about Paris and Berlin 100 years ago, which caught my attention that all the women in the video wore decent clothes!

Are there still conservative societies in the West (such as Europe and America) that prohibit sexual relations outside marriage, and women dress modestly?

Thanks
username5323908
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Adam_pir)
Hi,

In the East, for example, in Islam, there are important social rules, for example, not having sexual relations with any woman except for the wife, and prohibiting the establishment of sexual relations before marriage. Also, women should be modest, and should not wear nude clothes.

Recently, I watched a video about Paris and Berlin 100 years ago, which caught my attention that all the women in the video wore decent clothes!

Are there still conservative societies in the West (such as Europe and America) that prohibit sexual relations outside marriage, and women dress modestly?

Thanks
Well there are Catholics who have kinda similar rules as Islam like no sex before marriage, modesty etc. There are Mormon Christians, mostly around Salt Lake City, Utah, I'm just presuming they have similar morals and rules, I don't know too much about them.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's also the Amish/Mennonites that have strict rules and an emphasis on community, family and humility, including plain dress and a shunning of technology. However, their young people have a period called 'rumspringa' where the rules are relaxed and in sone cases they can experience the modern world before deciding if they wish to be baptised and fully reveiled into the Amish church.

However, it's not so much an imposition of society or religion as personal choice. Not everyone is religious, so whilst they should conform to the rules and laws that make for a cohesive society, there is no reason for them to follow any Church edicts on sexual relations outside marriage or dress. Anyway, clothes from 100 years may have covered women from neck to toe, but are hardly practical today! How do you expect us to work or exercise or drive or shop or stay comfortable in hot weather wearing a crinoline? I'm religious and I'm currently wearing a T-shirt and shorts and will have no hesitation in going out in public in these later, and I certainly don't consider myself immodest, just sensible.
Adam_pir
Rep:
?
Thanks

If we exclude the issue of modest clothing, are there still people in the West who do not have sex before marriage? Maintains sexual relations with husband / wife only. Because the prevailing idea in the east is that it is rare for a girl or boy who does not have sex with another person in his adolescence?

Is that correct?
username5323908
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks

If we exclude the issue of modest clothing, are there still people in the West who do not have sex before marriage? Maintains sexual relations with husband / wife only. Because the prevailing idea in the east is that it is rare for a girl or boy who does not have sex with another person in his adolescence?

Is that correct?
There are people who think it's wrong, regardless of religion, but it's mostly a religious thing.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are religious communities such as convents and monasteries in the west.
Pinkisk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thanks
There are many Orthodox Jewish communities in many countries that share similar edicts to the ones that you have listed in this comment of yours e.g. modest clothing for men and women etc.
Ascend
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because the prevailing idea in the east is that it is rare for a girl or boy who does not have sex with another person in his adolescence?
That's a prevailing taboo. To call it 'rare' is presuming a little too much. Unfortunately, due to the sensitivity of the subject, data is limited beyond the reported "honour" attacks and killings.
Adam_pir
Rep:
?
I like modest women, and who do not have sex outside of marriage.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No shortage of religious nutters in the west.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (83)
25.08%
Better than expected (71)
21.45%
Worse than expected (177)
53.47%

Watched Threads