What are some disadvantages men have in society?

Watch
Liviy.Jonas18
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know men have disadvantages (less likely to have custody of kids and not talk about emotions) but I just wanna here from a perspective on a day to day basis like interactions and dating.

So yeah spill....
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mental health I think is a massive one. I think there's still a massive toxic masculinity, stiff upper lip, men don't cry attitude in the world. Certainly with my own mental health struggles, I've found it very difficult to open up and with my particular issues, I've found that I've struggled to get the support I need because of my gender.
josie71202
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
men get less A*-C grades at GCSE
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a can of worms but just to be going on with.......
University attendance is the single biggest indicator of life success and future income.
Nearly two young women attend uni for each young man. If this was the other way round the sky would fall in.
White working class young men despite being the second biggest demographic in society (just behind women) are the lowest demographic attending at just 8.9%
Perhaps they should see the men's minister about it...oh no there isnt one, just a minorities and women's minister, this despite women being the majority in the country.
A lot is made about stop and search being racist as the black men are stopped disproportionately compared to white yet no word of it being sexist when over 95% of black people s&s are men not women.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 1 month ago
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to go down this road - it boils down to one thing - the same metrics for disadvantage are not applied to men as to women. The irony being that this is a disadvantage in of itself.

The big issue is suicide. If the rates of suicide were reversed, it would be considered a national disgrace and emergency. Similarly, with educational outcomes, it seems largely ignored if women have better outcomes.

On criminal justice - the only times I have ever seen a stop & search on a woman is when she is either an obvious class A drug user, or for shoplifting. Further - the mitigations given to women in criminal justice are outrageous by comparison to men. You can bleat on all you like about domestic violence - a woman who commits violence is almost certain to get away with it. Right now there is a special programme sponsored by Sadiq Khan to give offenders a chance to avoid prosecution. It is only available to women.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Rape of men is regularly treated as a joke

In the UK there was a mobile phone company brought out a contract free deal. To advertise it they did a "comical ad" where a guy, (played by Wicliffe Jean iirc) breaks a contract with a white trailer trash woman and ends up in prison.
The joke punchline was an enormous white guy in the showers with him drops the bar and says
"Hey super star.....pick up the soap"
Prison rape What's not to laugh at eh?

A gay rights group complained to the advertizing ombudsman who found in favour of the ad company, essentially saying "It was fine because it was done as a joke, lighten up."
Could you imagine and advert where the punchline was a woman about to be brutally raped?

Edit.
Here is the last 30 seconds or so with the oh so funny rape reference.

https://youtu.be/_AjuMQWhrhU
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree that mental health is probably the biggest disadvantage. I would prefer International Men's day to be International Men's Health Day instead for that reason. A legacy of the pandemic could be people working from home more often, and more doctor consultations being by phone or virtual. If that enables men to seek medical help sooner, that would be one of the few positive things about the pandemic.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)

In the UK there was a mobile phone company brought out a contract free deal. To advertise it they did a "comical ad" where a guy, (played by Wicliffe Jean iirc) breaks a contract with a white trailer trash woman and ends up in prison.
The joke punchline was an enormous white guy in the showers with him drops the bar and says

A gay rights group complained to the advertizing ombudsman who found in favour of the ad company, essentially saying "It was fine because it was done as a joke, lighten up."
Could you imagine and advert where the punchline was a woman about to be brutally raped?

Edit.

The prevalence of 'haha get raped' jokes (directed towards men) in media has always shocked me a bit, especially when it's in children's TV and films.
Mojmeer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That your problems are largely ignored and seen as weakness.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Health outcomes, be it mental or otherwise, tend to be worse.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nabu123)
Lol white fragility has gotten out of control. Was anyone even talking about race.
Thanks for that contribution.
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Women who subvert gender norms such as hobbies or clothing are heralded whereas men who do so are seen as anything from weak/childish to perverse
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by josie71202)
men get less A*-C grades at GCSE
But ironically more than make up for this in earnings compared to their brighter female counterparts.

Good call though.
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it’s hard to be a shorter man in today’s society, and on average they get paid less than taller men apparently
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Men suffer from many systemic and systematic disadvantages. Here are three examples. I hope you find them useful

1. Thanks to sexist laws, women cannot be charged with rape in most countries. As in, in many countries men and boys cannot hold their female rapists to account for the crime of rape.

2. In all countries men are by law forced to provide for and protect women, by threat of fines, imprisonment and sometimes even death.

3. In many Western countries fathers do not have rights to their children e.g. UK. Thanks to feminist laws introduced in the late 1980s, in the UK, fathers by law do not have equal rights to mothers to their children.

These are just a few brief examples, the tip of iceberg. There are millions more.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 month ago
josie71202
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
But ironically more than make up for this in earnings compared to their brighter female counterparts.

Good call though.
idk we just learnt it in sociology
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very specific one, but I do think if a male teacher does something with a (female) student they will have a much tougher time of it than if the gender roles are reversed.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
2. In all countries men are by law forced to provide for and protect women, by threat of fines, imprisonment and sometimes even death.
Wait, what?
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)

Edit.

Thanks for the link.

The saddest thing about this issue is that it is not limited to the media. It is systematic and pervasive. Rape of men and boys particularly by women is treated as a joke by the police and by the judicial system.
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Wait, what?
Men are by law forced to provide for and protect women in for example forced alimony payments. In the middle-east, in all Islamic countries, countries like Saudi Arabia, men are by law and by threat of imprisonment forced to provide for their wives irrespective of whether or not their wives work and can provide for themselves. In these countries the earnings of a husband are by law considered not his own but of the wife and family. Wives on the other hand their money, their earnings are considered by law their own. Not many people know about these things.

Men in all societies are taught to protect women at the cost of their own wellbeing and lives. They are in conflicts in many countries forced to fight to protect women. Any man that refuses is shamed. A great example of this occurred at the hands of feminists during the first and second world wars in the White Feather Campaign organised by the Suffragettes where they went around hanging white feathers on boys and men on the streets of the UK to shame them into enlisting.

Men that refuse to fight in war are in many countries by law meant to be shot and killed. Many tens of thousands of men have been killed in this way. In the second world war the USSR set up entire regiments whose sole purpose was to round up soldiers who refused to fight and force them back or kill them. Men have no say in the matter of protecting others at the cost of their own wellbeing/lives.

Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 month ago
yzanne
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
women can wear suits but heaven forbid if a man wants to wear a skirt.
men can't cry out of fear for looking weak.

it's small things that they are disadvantaged by, as opposed to systemically - i.e. men do worse in school but are more likely to be CEO etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (197)
38.93%
Take autumn exams (153)
30.24%
Look for a job (17)
3.36%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.15%
Take a year out (88)
17.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.93%

Watched Threads