The Student Room Group

What are some disadvantages men have in society?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theloniouss
As a side note, that domestic abuse statistic seems to be way off. According to the ONS, it was 7.9% of women and 4.2% of men, equating to 1.3 million women and 700,000 men.

that statistic is for 2017-8. mine is from ons also.
Original post by yzanne
that statistic is for 2017-8. mine is from ons also.

Then I suspect you have mistyped your figures. Here's the publication and the relevant section:
In the year ending March 2019, an estimated 2.4 million adults aged 16 to 74 years experienced domestic abuse in the last year (1.6 million women and 786,000 men).
Original post by Theloniouss
Then I suspect you have mistyped your figures. Here's the publication and the relevant section:

yep, a mistype
Original post by DiddyDec
You seem to be trying very hard to make this thread about women, it is not about women. If you want to make a thread talking about women's issues then go make that thread.

This thread is about issues men face, not a comparative of "oh but women have it worse".

This is one the issues men face when trying to raise their issues, it gets turned into an issue Olympics of who has to worse because some people just can't stand men having problems that need sorting.

I will not get drawn into your need to minimise men's problems.

Spot on. It always happens.
Original post by Nabu123
Lol white fragility has gotten out of control. Was anyone even talking about race.

WHITE fragility? 😂 Yeah because that's the narrative these days.
Men have far less value socially and sexually than women. That is probably the most significant area in which men are disadvantaged in western societies. Regarding mental health - more women attempt suicide than men. Regarding university attendance - this is a class and socioeconomic issue.
Original post by yzanne
suicide is awful and i know it's the biggest killer for men under 45 - but often it's work related deaths

Where does this come from?
Here is a great example, men have their issues minimised to make them seem unimportant and thus never get the attention they deserve.

I see what you did there. Clever...lol. Oh and touché.
Original post by Pinkisk
I see what you did there. Clever...lol. Oh and touché.

I was waiting for someone to make this mistake because it always happens when someone makes a thread like this. It is as predictable as water is wet.
You can't be a man, without doing something wrong.
I was waiting for someone to make this mistake because it always happens when someone makes a thread like this. It is as predictable as water is wet.

Feminists are so predictable. It's disgusting how far they go to trivialise and justify disadvantages affecting men, not just on this forum, but everywhere they go. Often they twist the issues to portray women as being the main victims of the social arrangement that negatively affects men. Feminists play a pivotal role in preserving and compounding disadvantages that affect men.
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the perceived safeguarding issues of men being primary/early years school teachers pushing men away from pursuing the profession.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/13/male-primary-teachers-speak-fears-perceived-suspicious-working/
Original post by Pinkisk
Feminists are so predictable. It's disgusting how far they go to trivialise and justify disadvantages affecting men, not just on this forum, but everywhere they go. Often they twist the issues to portray women as being the main victims of the social arrangement that negatively affects men. Feminists play a pivotal role in preserving and compounding disadvantages that affect men.

Luckily it seems as though more and more women are abandoning the modern feminist cause. My other half spits if she's compared to them.
Original post by Pinkisk

Lets not make this a feminists issue, I want to keep this thread on topic and about men.

Although I do agree.
Lets not make this a feminists issue, I want to keep this thread on topic and about men.

Although I do agree.

Its so hard with all these feminists replying to this thread trivialising male disadvantage and trying to dismiss it the best that they can. It is hard to address men's disadvantage without confronting one of the causes of their disadvantage, feminism, but I note your point and I agree with it.
Sorry for hijacking this thread a bit chaps, just had to say some of this.

Original post by yzanne
I simply believe that men always and still are to this day, in power, like how we've only ever had 2 female prime ministers - a very modern statistic in comparison to the majority of the rest of the world where only 16 of the world's 195 countries are led by women. this puts effect on everything else as women are not necessarily on the agenda, and because we've come so far, we're seen as 'equal'.

We have had few prime ministers, true. However, it takes many decades to build up experience before you can become a prime minister, CEO, or any high ranking position. 40 years ago, in the 1980s, there was not nearly as much equality of opportunity as there is now. Many women therefore didn't or couldn't start building experience in these fields, and therefore top positions currently have fewer women. That's not a problem with our society here and now, rather it is a relic of historical inequality.

Original post by yzanne
7.5mil women experienced domestic abuse in 2018-19 vs 800,000 men etc and are often victims of crime due to their gender alone which gives off the appearance of being vulnerable. largely, male-on-male crime isn't due to gender - its due to a vendetta or personal reasons.

Studies regularly find that men underreport domestic violence. A 2011 report found that less than half as many men as women reported domestic violence (44% vs 19%). It is becoming more accepted that incidence of domestic violence is equal between the sexes. Men do tend to be more physically violent, whilst women tend to be more emotionally abusive.

Further, the incidence of domestic violence is as high or higher in same-sex relationships as it is in heterosexual relationships. Therefore, domestic violence is not a men oppressing women issue. It is a human issue. Despite this, there are extraordainarily few shelters for men. Almost none. That, right there, is stereotyping and discrimination.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/116483/hosb0212.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_against_men
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01506/full

Original post by yzanne
suicide is awful and i know it's the biggest killer for men under 45 - but often it's work related deaths, as you've mentioned. women do not contemplate it in a work related situation often because they're not in a position of power

No, it is not work related deaths. Suicide is the biggest cause of death for men under 45. Not health issues, or accidents etc, but men killing themselves. It has nothing to do with being in a position of power, rather you'll find that most who kill themselves have absolutely no power at all, and have been largely forgotten about by society.
(edited 3 years ago)
If we can move on from the earlier conversations on the previous page that would be healthy in my view. :smile:
1.Being seen as rapist and having people act as though you're scary without them even knowing you.
2. When the same people that act like you're a threat or a beast that needs to be muzzled are in a situation that threatens their life, they will expect you (the so called enemy) to give up your life readily to save theirs or assist them when they ask for it.
3. In dating you're not really allowed to reject women as it's seen as misogynistic to reject a woman based on looks but not vice versa.
4. Feeling bad for disagreeing with a woman in a discussion in fear of being called a mansplainer.
5. Not being able to claim sexual assault against a woman when they decide to grope you in a night club and also having your claim reversed on you.
6. Your pain only really matters if it affects a woman and also when you are badly injured people won't ask you if you're ok, they'll ask your girlfriend or mum or which ever woman is related to you if they're ok instead lol
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ThatGuy89
WHITE fragility? 😂 Yeah because that's the narrative these days.

It's one way of being totally racist against whites without any repercussions, by lobbing around terms like that... nevermind that the post they were responding to was not bringing in race for its own sake. :biggrin:
In most crimes people are innocent until proven guilty, but with rape cases, men are guilty until proven innocent. Also, mental health I guess. I will say, however, that the idea of ‘manning-up’ does help me to get over myself. Appreciate it won’t help for others though saying that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending