Uni Recommendations for History & Politics / experiences with this course?

Watch
il_27
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi all.

I am interested in studying history and politics at university, from September 2021. I am aware of a few uni options, such as Warwick, York, Exeter, Oxbridge - of course... but I wanted to hear from some of you.

Do you have any university recommendations for this particular course? If you have first-hand experience with this course, could you also let me know how you found it and your general experiences with it?

Thank you in advance!
Aoyun
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Studying it at Warwick. Feel free to DM me any questions.
craalm13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did History and Philosophy Joint Honours at Exeter. Can't comment on Politics there, but the History department is incredibly well run, and there are a wide range of modules to pick from. One of the advantages of doing a joint honours with History is that you don't have to do some of the compulsory History modules, so you're free to pick what you DO want to do. I personally did Early Modern History, so if that's something you're interested in, I would definitely recommend Exeter.
il_27
Rep:
?
(Original post by craalm13)
I did History and Philosophy Joint Honours at Exeter. Can't comment on Politics there, but the History department is incredibly well run, and there are a wide range of modules to pick from. One of the advantages of doing a joint honours with History is that you don't have to do some of the compulsory History modules, so you're free to pick what you DO want to do. I personally did Early Modern History, so if that's something you're interested in, I would definitely recommend Exeter.
Thank you for letting me know. I will definitely look into the University of Exeter then!
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by il_27)
Hi all.

I am interested in studying history and politics at university, from September 2021. I am aware of a few uni options, such as Warwick, York, Exeter, Oxbridge - of course... but I wanted to hear from some of you.

Do you have any university recommendations for this particular course? If you have first-hand experience with this course, could you also let me know how you found it and your general experiences with it?

Thank you in advance!
Hi il_27

We offer BA History and Politics at the University of Hull.

Six reasons to study History and Politics at Hull:
One of the largest Westminster placement schemes
97% graduate employment rating
Exclusive seminars by parliamentary officials
Choose to study at a partner institution abroad
24/7 term-time access to the Brynmor Jones Library
Local resources such as Hull History Centre

We have both history and politics students available to chat to through our Ask a Student which is the perfect place to discuss what being a student at the university is like

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
PhD History Candidate
il_27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi il_27

We offer BA History and Politics at the University of Hull.

Six reasons to study History and Politics at Hull:
One of the largest Westminster placement schemes
97% graduate employment rating
Exclusive seminars by parliamentary officials
Choose to study at a partner institution abroad
24/7 term-time access to the Brynmor Jones Library
Local resources such as Hull History Centre

We have both history and politics students available to chat to through our Ask a Student which is the perfect place to discuss what being a student at the university is like

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
PhD History Candidate
Good morning.
Thank you for your information! I will definitely look into the course at the University of Hull.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm a history student at York (going into my second year) and definitely recommend history there. I have a friend doing a history joint (economics) who loves it and another friend doing a politics degree who is enjoying it too so I imagine a history and politics joint would be good! DM me with any York questions
justjas33
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aoyun)
Studying it at Warwick. Feel free to DM me any questions.
Hiya, I’m thinking of applying to do history and politics at Warwick, could I ask a couple qs?
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by il_27)
Hi all.

Thank you in advance!
Hi il_27

A
s someone who studies history at the University of Lincoln, history is a great choice for a degree! Whilst Lincoln; offers both History and Politics as individual degrees we do not currently have a combined course. However, from my experience history and politics are so entwined that my course has had many modules heavily focused on politics.

For example, in my second year I took an entire module called Birth of the Modern Age which looked at British and Irish politics in the early 20th century. I have also took modules focused on American politics and society.

So whilst we may not offer a combined course, I think it would be definitely worth a look at our history course.

I hope this provides something to think about, I have attached a link in case you wanted to have a browse - you can also message me through UniBuddy on the same link if you have further questions!

https://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/hsthstub/

Best of luck with university next year,

Connor - Third Year History Student
Last edited by UniOfLincolnStudent; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (90)
13.93%
I'm not sure (30)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (206)
31.89%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.17%
I'm not a current university student (306)
47.37%

Watched Threads