The Student Room Group

Rejected from all my masters applications?

I am seriously heartbroken. As in last night I found out and had a major panic attack. I’m just so shocked because my course doesn’t seem to be competitive at all. For my BA only 10 people were on my course. I’ve got a 2:1 ( which was the minimum requirement) and my CV shows relevant work experience related to my field etc. I’ve asked for feedback but tbh I’m just so pooped. I feel like a failure. I had told everyone I was going to be doing a masters( because I really did feel confident that I’d get a place) I’m really upset and have lost hope and I just feel like I might as well be homeless at this rate.
I got rejected from my first MSc application and was heartbroken. It felt like the world had ended, I was so desperate to get onto the course. But once they give you feedback you can assess what you need to do for the next round of applications, improve your CV, get more experience, do as much as you can to make yourself stand out. When I was rejected, I applied for the same course at a uni that was further away but they had lower entry requirements and I got accepted within 2 days of sending the application off. It's a longer commute but I'm so glad I ended up going there instead as I've made some brilliant friends and have heard horror stories about some of the lecturers at the original uni I applied to.

Just because you've been rejected once, it doesn't mean its certain to happen again. Keep at it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hollyoaks678
I am seriously heartbroken. As in last night I found out and had a major panic attack. I’m just so shocked because my course doesn’t seem to be competitive at all. For my BA only 10 people were on my course. I’ve got a 2:1 ( which was the minimum requirement) and my CV shows relevant work experience related to my field etc. I’ve asked for feedback but tbh I’m just so pooped. I feel like a failure. I had told everyone I was going to be doing a masters( because I really did feel confident that I’d get a place) I’m really upset and have lost hope and I just feel like I might as well be homeless at this rate.

You can apply to more universities for September if you wish. Have you asked for feedback from the courses you were rejected from? Also, what gave you the impression that your courses weren't competitive? That might not be an accurate perspective. Which universities did you apply for?

It's hard to comment not knowing what your UG subject was and what your Masters subject is. If it's in a related field then I am surprised. Normally a 2.2 is sufficient. However, if your degree is in Geography and you are applying for a Masters in Law then no big surprise.
Original post by WarwickMaths281
Unfortunately the Kung Flu has caused the job market to stagnate and hence more and more students are applying for masters courses because they can't find a job. This means that there will be many more applicants with 1sts than usual, and a 2:1 may not cut the mustard any more.

**** off with your racist crap.
Original post by mike23mike
It's hard to comment not knowing what your UG subject was and what your Masters subject is. If it's in a related field then I am surprised. Normally a 2.2 is sufficient. However, if your degree is in Geography and you are applying for a Masters in Law then no big surprise.

Yeah it was a history MA and my
Undergrad is in History with a 2:1!
Yeah it was a history MA and my
Undergrad is in History with a 2:1!

That is really surprising. You should contact the department that rejected you and ask for feedback. You deserve to know.
Where did you do your undergrad and what places did you apply to for the MA? I'm working on my application now and this has really scared me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending