Is this emotional blackmail/abuse?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
If i am told by parents that 'either get it into your mind that you need to settle down one day or if not you can leave the house, find a place of your own and we will have nothing to do with you'
Is that abuse/ blackmail?
Bearing in mind I have spent years trying to persuade my parents that I want to stay single. But there is this constant pressure to find a man and if i don't find one they will find me one themselves because I 'HAVE' to be in a relationship with a man.

Am I too blame? Is it my fault?
babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It’s definitely emotional blackmail, I’m not sure if it counts as emotional abuse though (I could be wrong I’m not an expert haha)

Either way, it is wrong. If they cannot accept that you want to stay single then it’s their loss! They shouldn’t be blackmailing you into having a relationship when you don’t want to!

It’s a very old fashioned way of thinking in that you must be in a relationship with a man. Also they should not just find you a man of their choosing, that’s immoral and wrong.

I’m so sorry you’re in this situation! I hope it gets better! Send me a message if you need anything
Last edited by babyshark; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by babyshark)
It’s definitely emotional blackmail, I’m not sure if it counts as emotional abuse though (I could be wrong I’m not an expert haha)

Either way, it is wrong. If they cannot accept that you want to stay single then it’s their loss! They shouldn’t be blackmailing you into having a relationship when you don’t want to!

It’s a very old fashioned way of thinking in that you must be in a relationship with a man. Also they should not just find you a man of their choosing, that’s immoral and wrong.

I’m so sorry you’re in this situation! I hope it gets better! Send me a message if you need anything
I totally agree!

Thank you so much.
Tom_Jacobs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If i am told by parents that 'either get it into your mind that you need to settle down one day or if not you can leave the house, find a place of your own and we will have nothing to do with you'
Is that abuse/ blackmail?
Bearing in mind I have spent years trying to persuade my parents that I want to stay single. But there is this constant pressure to find a man and if i don't find one they will find me one themselves because I 'HAVE' to be in a relationship with a man.

Am I too blame? Is it my fault?
Emotional blackmail is the process in which an individual makes demands and threats to manipulative another person to get what they want. It is a form of psychological abuse, causing damage to the victims. Their demands are often intended to control a victim's behavior through unhealthy ways.
babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I totally agree!

Thank you so much.
No worries! Keep yourself happy and do whatever is best for you! At the end of the day, it’s your life not theirs! don’t blame yourself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads