Daaave1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey guys,
I know its a specific topic but I'm kind of struggling to find topics to wrte about as my dissertation for diagnostic radiography. because of COVID I cant actually go into hospitals or anything like that so what they have said I can do is an audit or service evaluation.
I have a deadline to propose what I will need to do next tuesday 7th July. Any Idea would be appreciated.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there, sorry you have not had any response after so long.

I know you are stuck, so I thought I might provide a strategy with possible examples [sorry last minute].

One thing I know for a fact is that radiographers are doing more lately than just taking X-rays [e.g. injecting IV contrast medium], CT scans or MRIs etc. I presume you are studying radiography, and therefore have had some clinical exposure since your dissertation problem tells me you are probs a final year student (??).

What I would do, assuming that you are doing a literature research DISSERTATION rather than a practical/clinical PROJECT, is to:
A} first open one of your recommended books on a field that interests you - scan through the contents section and narrow down to 2-3 specific topics that interest you or sound like good broad candidate areas.

B} then look up research papers on each of them to determine the quality, quantity and depth of info available.

C} you should then be able to shortlist to ONE SPECIFIC AREA, which you can then think of a precise topic within.

Let us take an example from my radiology book [it may not be directly relevant to you cos it is a medical book not aimed at radiographers], but hopefully I can illustrate the above-outlined principles so that you can follow an analogous process for your own specific scenario.

I have a special interest in cardiology, and saw pulmonary embolism and ruptured AAA [abdominal aortic aneurysm] as two cases in the cardiology section. Both are very interesting, and show characteristic features on CTPA and CT scans, respectively. Depending on how much supporting clinical info you are taught/need to know, I would probs select PE, then pick a specific topic within this condition - from a radiology point of view, it might involve the absence of opacities [of contrast medium] in large [therefore visible] pulmonary arteries on the scan. I might then think up a topic to research and describe in detail e.g.

a) "Contribution of radiography to the diagnosis of PE before any significant pulmonary infarction."

OR:

b) " The role of radiology in the early diagnosis of PE in highly susceptible patients such as those with persistent atrial fibrillation [AF] or post major surgery." [you will know that AF leads to stasis of blood in the atria, hence predisposing the patient to thrombosis therein, which could culminate in an embolic event, either systemic [from left atrium] OR pulmonary [from right atrium]].

OR

c) "Differential diagnosis of PE due to COVID-19 from other causes of PE." [you might know that this deadly virus can cause DIC [disseminated intravascular coagulation]].

My apologies that I am not fully conversant with your course content, but I hope this example directs you to a way to sort your enigma.

Best of luck and be safe!

M [former medical student]
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Daaave1998

Reply above.
Hopefuls
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I’m a recent radiography grad. You could do your dissertation centred around students so all you’d have to do to send out a questionnaire to rad students on a topic that interests you. It saves you time and going to hospitals.
hopeeeee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi could you give me an example of what you mean?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.25%
I'm not sure (59)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (636)
49%

Watched Threads