I am disgusted by excessive wealth but I'm surrounded by it.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I go to one of the top private schools in the UK. My family are not that rich but my grandparents who are rich pay most of the tuition. My parents are both lawyers so I definitely live comfortably and I have some designer but I'm not upper class or anything.

However, all the people I go to school with are insanely rich, or at least they act like they are.
They all have villas in St Tropez or Marbella and go to the top nightclubs. They will spend tens of thousands of pounds on a night out buying Dom Perignon etc. They have a ridiculous amount of designer, buying Chanel bags every weekend, to the point where they hardly have any value to them (I saw a girl throw up in her £5K Chanel bag at a party once). I think u get the idea.

Honestly, I think this environment is really damaging, especially since I've been with these people since primary school. All they care about is their money and it's just so gross in my opinion.

I would like advice on how to stop caring and how to separate myself from this atmosphere of endless wealth. It's really damaging my mental health I think.
Anonymous #1
I want to add, it's not wealth that disgusts me. It's how careless they are with it. Like if they truly treasured the money and possessions then I wouldn't care. But these people throw it away like it's paper.
Once I was eating a packet of Haribos in the dining hall and this girl literally offered me £25 for the bag (because we weren't allowed to bring our own sweets in). Like I just thought about how ridiculous that is.
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could give me some of your excessive wealth...

Seriously though, have you ever talked to them about how you feel?
Last edited by LovelyMrFox; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
You could give me some of your excessive wealth...

Seriously though, have you ever talked to them about how you feel?
Haha I'm not the excessively rich one I'm afraid! My family might be middle class but I only have a £20 per month pocket money (which I'm very grateful for btw).

I feel a bit awkward telling them about it. I said once something like 'why do you guys waste your money on things you don't care about? It reduces the value'. And they got really defensive. In general I think that if I explained everything in the way I explained in this post they would get really annoyed at me (this is why its anon)
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I go to one of the top private schools in the UK. My family are not that rich but my grandparents who are rich pay most of the tuition. My parents are both lawyers so I definitely live comfortably and I have some designer but I'm not upper class or anything.
I think some of these statements contradict one another, but I'm willing to gloss over that. :yep:

I think that for the minority of extreme rich, there isn't a way out of the mindset, as they have nothing to compare it to. there's nothing wrong or inherently evil with being rich on paper - i know plenty of rich people who aren't snobs. you just get people in every group who think they're always better.

try talking to them - but if it doesn't work, you'll always have uni where you can mix with loads of different people :woo:
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
You should be happy you’re not on the other end of the spectrum.

But if you wanted to you could travel occasionally to places that aren’t filled with those people?
TD2.718
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One thing to note is that you're incredibly lucky to be going to such a school. I've been to 8+ different state schools, none of them good. I think it would help you to realize that these people are fools because of their wealth and upbringing.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by yzanne)
I think some of these statements contradict one another, but I'm willing to gloss over that. :yep:

I think that for the minority of extreme rich, there isn't a way out of the mindset, as they have nothing to compare it to. there's nothing wrong or inherently evil with being rich on paper - i know plenty of rich people who aren't snobs. you just get people in every group who think they're always better.

try talking to them - but if it doesn't work, you'll always have uni where you can mix with loads of different people :woo:
haha sorry didn't mean for that contradiction. I guess I mean in comparison to some people that I know (multi-millionaires and billionaires) I'm not 'RICH rich'

Yes I agree I don't think they're 'bad people' because it's their upbringing and they've never known anything different!

thanks I'll take ur advice! Also yes I'm so looking forward to uni for this reason
TD2.718
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TD2.718)
One thing to note is that you're incredibly lucky to be going to such a school. I've been to 8 different state schools, none of them good. I think it would help you to realize that these people are fools because of their wealth and upbringing.
If you feel it's having such effects and then you should consider leaving. However going to one of the best schools in the country is not an opportunity to throw away without good reason.
Last edited by TD2.718; 1 month ago
babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just realise your wealth and fortune! If you show gratitude for what you have, you come across less “snobby”. From your original post I can tell you’re a lovely person so I wouldn’t stress!

You are incredibly lucky to be in the position you’re in so don’t take it for granted. Also statements such as “I have designer stuff” “I’m not upper class” “my parents are lawyers” don’t really work haha! It just comes across as you denying privilege which I know isn’t your intention

You seem lovely don’t stress
Last edited by babyshark; 1 month ago
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haha I'm not the excessively rich one I'm afraid! My family might be middle class but I only have a £20 per month pocket money (which I'm very grateful for btw).

I feel a bit awkward telling them about it. I said once something like 'why do you guys waste your money on things you don't care about? It reduces the value'. And they got really defensive. In general I think that if I explained everything in the way I explained in this post they would get really annoyed at me (this is why its anon)
Ah, my bad. I misunderstood.
That sounded accusatory. Ask them something lighter like, 'why dont we use the money on things we need', or 'can we give that money to a charity instead?' Something along those lines, perhaps?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TD2.718)
If you feel it's having such effects and then you should consider leaving. However going to one of the best schools in the country is not an opportunity to throw away without good reason.
Yeah I'm rlly grateful for my educational opportunities and I don't think I would want to throw it all away just because of this (not that my parents would allow it anyway!)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by babyshark)
Just realise your wealth and fortune! If you show gratitude for what you have, you come across less “snobby”. From your original post I can tell you’re a lovely person so I wouldn’t stress!

You are incredibly lucky to be in the position you’re in so don’t take it for granted. Also statements such as “I have designer stuff” “I’m not upper class” “my parents are lawyers” don’t really work haha! It just comes across as you denying privilege which I know isn’t your intention

You seem lovely don’t stress
Aww thank you and yeah I definitely phrased that incorrectly! I just wanted to say that I'm not in the upper class like a lot of my friends but I'm not working class either and my family is definitely comfortable with their money
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Ah, my bad. I misunderstood.
That sounded accusatory. Ask them something lighter like, 'why dont we use the money on things we need', or 'can we give that money to a charity instead?' Something along those lines, perhaps?
That's a great idea I'll literally say it now!
babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aww thank you and yeah I definitely phrased that incorrectly! I just wanted to say that I'm not in the upper class like a lot of my friends but I'm not working class either and my family is definitely comfortable with their money
Yes totally understand haha!

If it really concerns you, I would just distance yourself from those people! Just subtly bring it up in a convo about using wealth for good etc.

I’m sure once you leave the school and get to experience a life with people from all different backgrounds, you and your friends will be more open minded!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (7)
18.42%
Better than expected (8)
21.05%
Worse than expected (23)
60.53%

Watched Threads