Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sick Puppy)
    Mine was £50
    How many years is it valid before you can do your driving test? because if i get one now, i dont plan on doing my test till after uni,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear_Grylls)
    How many years is it valid before you can do your driving test? because if i get one now, i dont plan on doing my test till after uni,
    Until you're about 70 or something

ReputationRep:
    I got mine a few weeks ago and it says it's valid til 2018.

I'm not planning to learn to drive until next summer / maybe the summer after that but my passport was far too embarrassing to be let loose in public :blush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student00001)
    There are loads of ID cards to choose from but I don't know which one is the most authoritative/useful. I'd really appreciate it if people could provide links to websites with good ID cards which is authortative etc.

Thanks in advance. :yy:
    do you mean a real ID?

http://www.citizencard.com/

it has the PASS hologram which is essential on any ID.

if you're talking about a fake ID, i can't help you sorry!

EDIT: they cost £10, but are £5 if you get the application form from wetherspoon, threshers, ladbrokes, william hill (if you're 18+)

ReputationRep:
    Slightly off topic, but do you need to send off your passport when applying for a driving/provisional license?

My passport's renewal application is still being processed, despite me sending it over 2 and a half weeks ago. Waste of an extra tenner (which is what I paid extra to have it arrive back in 2 weeks rather than 3 or 4) :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryvision)
    do you mean a real ID?

PASS hologram means nothing, it's on neither passports or driving licenses which is all most shop/bar workers (including myself) will accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laevis)
    Slightly off topic, but do you need to send off your passport when applying for a driving/provisional license?

My passport's renewal application is still being processed, despite me sending it over 2 and a half weeks ago. Waste of an extra tenner (which is what I paid extra to have it arrive back in 2 weeks rather than 3 or 4) :hmpf:

Do you have an old one or a new one?

If you've got the newer "digital" one where your picture and signature are on the same page then you just tell them the number thats on your passport and you don't ned to send it

ReputationRep:
    do you mean a real ID?

EDIT: they cost £10, but are £5 if you get the application form from wetherspoon, threshers, ladbrokes, william hill (if you're 18+)
    No one excepts that around here.

Driving licenses and passports are the only thing that work

ReputationRep:
    At Sainsbury's we accept a UK driving licence, including provisional, a British passport or any form of ID which has the PASS logo on it. But to be sure, I would say the driving licence and the passport are the only forms of 'guaranteed' ID as the PASS logo stuff isn't so widely accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rehehelly)
    No one excepts that around here.

Driving licenses and passports are the only thing that work
    really?! everywhere i go the posters say anything with a PASS hologram is accepted

ReputationRep:
    Do you have an old one or a new one?

If you've got the newer "digital" one where your picture and signature are on the same page then you just tell them the number thats on your passport and you don't ned to send it
    My last passport was the newer "digital" one because I definitely remember my picture and signature being on the same page, but I don't have that any more as that's the one I've sent off to be renewed. I do, however, have my passport number which I jotted down beforehand in case I needed it for something else.

Would that suffice?

ReputationRep:
    driving lisences are the only really reliable ones, in my experience (besides passports, obviously!). your average shop assistant tends to look completely confused when faced with anything else.

funny how people who complain about not having any ID will also complain about actual government-issued ID cards being a breach of human rights or whatnot. it's just a damn ID card, which is actually useful!

ReputationRep:
    My last passport was the newer "digital" one because I definitely remember my picture and signature being on the same page, but I don't have that any more as that's the one I've sent off to be renewed. I do, however, have my passport number which I jotted down beforehand in case I needed it for something else.

Would that suffice?

Yup that should be fine, that's all I needed from my passport

ReputationRep:
    really?! everywhere i go the posters say anything with a PASS hologram is accepted
    I used to work in my local corner shop and we were told "Passport or drivers license only"

ReputationRep:
    Should do.

If not, I don't think they need you to send them your passport - just sign a form (which you can print yourself) and include a passport photograph. At least, when I got my provisional, I had an old passport, and that's all they asked for.

ReputationRep:
    Yup that should be fine, that's all I needed from my passport
    So you didn't have to send the actual passport itself?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of getting a Citizen Card for Uni so I don't have to carry my passport with me everywhere I go. Do most clubs/bars/shops etc accept citizen cards, or do you think I'd be safer just taking my passport?

ReputationRep:
    Hardly anywhere accepts citizen card.. and it would be a pain if you went out with it and they didnt let you in... and then all your friends go in and leave you! You really are best with a passport or driving license.

To get a citizencard you only need to fill in a form, its not a very secure form of ID at all and can be easily faked, which is why they're not widely accepted.

ReputationRep:
    What if you dont ****ing drive. How much do provisionals cost, mate said it was like £50. ffs
    To be fair, people who don't want to drive wouldn't be as outraged if it wasn't called a driver's license. £50 is a lot though, but if there were a national ID scheme, chances are it would be about the same price (if not more).

ReputationRep:
    So you didn't have to send the actual passport itself?
    Nope I didn't, I just put the number on my form and sent the form off, no problems

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.