The Student Room Group

Can’t get pregnant

So I’m 22 years old but I’m not married yet and me and my boyfriend have been together for 3 years and he wants to have kids and we’ve been trying over and over again and I can’t get pregnant at all and sometimes I feel like I’m not functioning as a woman properly and it makes me upset and depressed and I look at all of these women with their babies in public and how cute they are and I just don’t understand why that can’t be me. I easily get jealous of all of the women that are fertile and can get pregnant very easily and I defiantly don’t want to do the adoption because I want a child that comes from me. And if I adopt a baby it’s not going to feel right and it’s going to make me feel very uncomfortable because that’s someone else’s baby and not mine if I were to adopt but I don’t want that because I want a baby that’s my DNA and a baby that comes from me. I just wanna have the ability to make babies but my body is just so weird and messed up and I hate it and it makes me feel depressed. I wanna be fertile please help.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m 22 years old but I’m not married yet and me and my boyfriend have been together for 3 years and he wants to have kids and we’ve been trying over and over again and I can’t get pregnant at all and sometimes I feel like I’m not functioning as a woman properly and it makes me upset and depressed and I look at all of these women with their babies in public and how cute they are and I just don’t understand why that can’t be me. I easily get jealous of all of the women that are fertile and can get pregnant very easily and I defiantly don’t want to do the adoption because I want a child that comes from me. And if I adopt a baby it’s not going to feel right and it’s going to make me feel very uncomfortable because that’s someone else’s baby and not mine if I were to adopt but I don’t want that because I want a baby that’s my DNA and a baby that comes from me. I just wanna have the ability to make babies but my body is just so weird and messed up and I hate it and it makes me feel depressed. I wanna be fertile please help.

Hi, I'm so sorry your going through this! Its probably the hardest thing a woman can go through and it feels so unfair when it comes so easy for other people but not for you.. however, nowadays there are more options and therapy etc that will help..

have you spoken to a doctor to find out if it is definitely something medical and something that is not working for you, rather then your boyfriend?

Would you be in a position to pay for IVF?

Try not to beat yourself up about it, one of my friends tried for years to have a baby, she couldn't afford IVF but as soon as she saved up enough money and just before she went for the treatment she conceived naturally.. and now has two beautiful children..

The pressure won't be good for you guys relationship so maybe try and step back and concentrate on working through things together, try and support your boyfriend as I hope be is supporting you..

I wish you all the best for the future and I really hope it works out for you.. keep your chin up!

If its been over a year then speak to your gp and see if testing is an option then go from there.
(edited 3 years ago)
So some questions that may help:
1. are your periods regular and how long is your cycle?
2. have you used the home ovulation (LH) tests?
3. are you having regular sex?
Why are you so desperate to have a baby at 22?
Reply 5
Don’t panic. Go and see the GP they will give some advice and likely refer you BOTH for investigation. There’s lots that can be done and it’s often not that difficult.
you should probably talk to a doctor not ask this on a student forum site
Reply 7
Original post by Zarek
Don’t panic. Go and see the GP they will give some advice and likely refer you BOTH for investigation. There’s lots that can be done and it’s often not that difficult.

Ok thanks for the advice I appreciate it :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Apachecow
So some questions that may help:
1. are your periods regular and how long is your cycle?
2. have you used the home ovulation (LH) tests?
3. are you having regular sex?

My cycle is every 40 days which doesn’t seem normal.
My cycle is every 40 days which doesn’t seem normal.

No, not normal. I'd get some LH tests and see if (and when) in your cycle you are ovulating:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-Ovulation-Tests-Ultra-Sensitive-LH-Urine-Strips-Test-Kits-Fertility/310924109310?epid=1204535249&hash=item48648565fe:g:r-wAAOSwgyxWXDXw

Usually start around 10 days after your last period.

Are you a healthy weight? Not on any medication?
This is a difficult thing to go through and I feel you. Do talk to your partner about your feelings. You should also discuss with the GP. Do you have regular sex, which usually means every other day, tbh, at least in the case to conceive. Also do you have regular sex during your ovulation days (where it could be more than every other day) as the window to conceive is not very big. Do you know when your days of ovulation are?

Ask yourself what is the rush? Don't feel pressurised by society or people or even yourself. It doesn't help at all. Also accept that yes some people do face problems when trying to conceive, so if you don't, how will you ensure it will not affect your relationship? How will you support each other if and when it feels difficult?

**** me wanting a Baby at 22 is like leaving a party at 8.30 in the evening oh and I hope you enjoy it when it shits and pisses all over you they are not cheap baby's
Original post by Apachecow
No, not normal. I'd get some LH tests and see if (and when) in your cycle you are ovulating:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-Ovulation-Tests-Ultra-Sensitive-LH-Urine-Strips-Test-Kits-Fertility/310924109310?epid=1204535249&hash=item48648565fe:g:r-wAAOSwgyxWXDXw

Usually start around 10 days after your last period.

Are you a healthy weight? Not on any medication?

I’m a healthy weight and I’m very skinny. But yes I do take medication which I think is affecting my periods.
You seem to want to have the baby for him and the whole situation seems off. I can’t believe people aren’t reading between the lines and they’re helping you make a big mistake.
You seem to want to have the baby for him and the whole situation seems off. I can’t believe people aren’t reading between the lines and they’re helping you make a big mistake.

It doesn’t matter if you disagree with her decision to have a baby. Trying for a year, being so young and having 40 day cycles are indicative of an issue which needs to be addressed by a healthcare professional.

Don't you wanna live life and go see the world first?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending