"Conditional unconditional" offers to be banned in England

Watch
Lightning720
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Read the Guardian story here - https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ned-in-england

What do you think about this?
Last edited by Lightning720; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just for this application cycle due to the coronavirus situation...currently anyway. It also isn't retroactive so people who have already received such an offer will still have it be valid (if they choose to firm it for example). This was also something that was announced to be likely a while ago, so it was expected to an extent.

They should just ban them altogether, as they really are a predatory marketing tactic used by unis to pressure students into accepting offers they might not otherwise.
GentleSoul
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with it.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lightning720)
Read the Guardian story here - https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ned-in-england

The Tory government created this problem by trying to turn the university system into a market place. I believe this practice started in 2014 or 2015. The system used to be that each university was capped on the numbers they could admit and faced fines if they exceeded that cap. Gove and his backers removed the cap and universities were then able to admit as many students as they wished. This led to some universities increasing numbers with Exeter being the best known. As more students went to these universities then there were less to spill faces elsewhere. Birmingham failed to fill its spaces one year so brought in this system to prevent this happening again and many others followed.

The system is totally wrong. It is designed to get students to choose a university they otherwise wouldnt. The universities should not be blamed. They were merely trying to survive in the system Gove created. The fault lies entirely with Michelle Donelan and his colleagues. It is rich of her to complain about the system when her mates were the people who caused the problem by trying to create a market system.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

You will have completed uni and probably be on your second job before this happens. Governments are notorious for sound bites but not following through. Glaciers move faster than changes in Government policy.
FutureK1ng
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

This policy seems very American... and not very British.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think they should only be allowed in situations where the applicant has already got the required grades for the course. For example if a person is applying during a gap year and has already got their grades.
People in year 13 or equivalent, i.e. who haven't yet got their grades and are still doing their a-levels/btec/whatever should not be given them. They only tempt people to go where they might not usually.
emiloujess
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I completely agree. The only reason universities do this is to put pressure on students to go there. Every year on TSR there are posts about people getting this offer, accepting it because they're worried about results, and then regretting it. I know for a fact if I'd gotten one of these offers when I was doing A-Levels I would have accepted because I was so sure I was going to fail my exams etc. It's exploitation of people's fears, imo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (188)
38.6%
Take autumn exams (149)
30.6%
Look for a job (17)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.31%
Take a year out (84)
17.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise