The Student Room Group

adoption screening process vs bad reputation in our neighbourhood

me and my boyfriend are considering adopting instead of buying from a breeder this time. however, our neighbour hates us so if they ask him about us, he'll definitely make up all sorts of horror stories. also, he constantly calls the police on us when we argue so now they basically think that my boyfriend abuses me, which isn't true.

does anyone know how strict the vetting process is for adopting a dog? our house is really nice and quite big. plus i'm home most of the day so i think any dog would be happy to live with us.
Original post by Ciel.
me and my boyfriend are considering adopting instead of buying from a breeder this time. however, our neighbour hates us so if they ask him about us, he'll definitely make up all sorts of horror stories. also, he constantly calls the police on us when we argue so now they basically think that my boyfriend abuses me, which isn't true.

does anyone know how strict the vetting process is for adopting a dog? our house is really nice and quite big. plus i'm home most of the day so i think any dog would be happy to live with us.

We've adopted 3 dogs in my lifetime, and I don't think the agencies ever asked our neighbours anything. All they ever did was a quick check of our circumstances and a home check to see if the house was safe for dogs (secure fences etc.).
Original post by Ciel.

I have not done it myself however I have heard the RSPCA are one to avoid as they are overly protective when it comes to their requirements. A woman in my office recently had a really good experience with Dogs Trust so they might be worth a try.
Reply 3
Original post by 15Characters...
We've adopted 3 dogs in my lifetime, and I don't think the agencies ever asked our neighbours anything. All they ever did was a quick check of our circumstances and a home check to see if the house was safe for dogs (secure fences etc.).

i see, thanks
Original post by DiddyDec
I have not done it myself however I have heard the RSPCA are one to avoid as they are overly protective when it comes to their requirements. A woman in my office recently had a really good experience with Dogs Trust so they might be worth a try.

thanks for the heads up, will check out dogs trust
I've only ever adopted guinea pigs but the RSPCA are a bit stringent yeh, i mean its good because everyone is held to a high standard but it can feel a bit too much. I believe you fill out a form, phone about who you are interested in, go out to visit who you are interested in, have a home visit and then go again to collect them. The person fostering my guinea pigs had actually not noticed they had lice, it wasnt a huge deal but they were a persistent to get rid of and it just sort of shows that even with all the checks in the world these things might still slip through.
We mostly adopt from an independent guinea pig rescue place now, the RSPCA can be a bit of a faff. I would recommend dogs trust or battersea, i've seen people say really good things about there :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
I've only ever adopted guinea pigs but the RSPCA are a bit stringent yeh, i mean its good because everyone is held to a high standard but it can feel a bit too much. I believe you fill out a form, phone about who you are interested in, go out to visit who you are interested in, have a home visit and then go again to collect them. The person fostering my guinea pigs had actually not noticed they had lice, it wasnt a huge deal but they were a persistent to get rid of and it just sort of shows that even with all the checks in the world these things might still slip through.
We mostly adopt from an independent guinea pig rescue place now, the RSPCA can be a bit of a faff. I would recommend dogs trust or battersea, i've seen people say really good things about there :smile:

yeah i agree,the process is there to keep animals safe. will check them out, thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest