Adnan00
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey all
I just finished my GCSE's and I can't decide weather I do A-levels or BTEC extended diploma in applied science.
Did any body do applied science can you tell me about the course?
English isn't my first language, I'm afraid if I do BTEC (since it is mostly assignment writing) I will not do too good.
Can you give your thoughts?
I was getting 6/7 in all of my GCSE's so it is like I am stuck with one course.
gravitydefier
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A levels are more generally well-regarded, you’ll have a much higher chance of getting into a good uni. However it does totally depend on what your plans are for afterwards. What career were you thinking of? Are you planning on going to uni?
thatcollegegirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Adnan00)
Hey all
I just finished my GCSE's and I can't decide weather I do A-levels or BTEC extended diploma in applied science.
Did any body do applied science can you tell me about the course?
English isn't my first language, I'm afraid if I do BTEC (since it is mostly assignment writing) I will not do too good.
Can you give your thoughts?
I was getting 6/7 in all of my GCSE's so it is like I am stuck with one course.
Is your college/sixth form able to give you a mix of both? I do A Level History and A Level Politics with BTEC Applied Law.
gravitydefier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by daveymcloughlin)
A levels are better.

Btec are what the thick kids do
That comment made me laugh way too much 😂😂😂
thatcollegegirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by daveymcloughlin)
A levels are better.

Btec are what the thick kids do
BTECs are not 'what the thick kids do' they're just a different approach to learning. People are different and several intelligent people do BTECs for Science, PE, Law and Business
Adnan00
Rep:
?
Optometry, pharmacy or engineering in general. I don't mind doing a Foundation year.
Adnan00
Rep:
?
(Original post by gravitydefier)
A levels are more generally well-regarded, you’ll have a much higher chance of getting into a good uni. However it does totally depend on what your plans are for afterwards. What career were you thinking of? Are you planning on going to uni?
Optometry, pharmacy or engineering in general. I don't mind doing a Foundation year.
Adnan00
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatcollegegirl)
Is your college/sixth form able to give you a mix of both? I do A Level History and A Level Politics with BTEC Applied Law.
No my college doesn't of that, the problem I'm already 18. If I fail my first year of A-level, I'll need to go to a bad college and pay fees.
gravitydefier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Adnan00)
In that case I would definitely choose A levels, or a combination of A levels and a BTEC. Those GCSE grades are pretty decent (let’s hope you get those grades on results day!) so you’re clearly more than capable. If writing in English isn’t your strong point, maybe stick to science/maths subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (189)
38.57%
Take autumn exams (150)
30.61%
Look for a job (17)
3.47%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.29%
Take a year out (85)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.71%

Watched Threads