Getting a remote software dev internship as a first year CS student

Watch
poppopopoi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm a first year Bsc CS student at a UK uni and I plan to work in software dev after my degree.

I've been wanting to get some experience by doing an internship over summer, but looking online I can't find anything that is accepting of first year students with not much experience. I hear of people in my year getting full time summer jobs working as a remote developer, yet I can't even find an unpaid internship that is likely to accept me.

My experience isn't much but I believe it is still more than most people in my course and year. I've written a couple Java projects which are on my github, including a collaborative project, and I've released a mobile game on the playstore. But though I'm rather confident in my Java ability, Java is a pretty old language that I don't see mentioned much in internship postings.

Am I looking in the wrong places for internships? Am I just not good enough for internships yet? Or is it something else? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Updating...
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
it's very very competitive. You have to remember that you aren't the only one apply to these internships, they are more likely to choose a second year with more experience.

But, that doesn't mean it isn't possible, the best thing to do is try to make connections with those already in the industry. if you don't know anyone try to message people on linkedin and see if they can help you. It's easier to get internships at startups compared to the big 4 ( microsoft, google etc.) Try to build your skills and projects to have one over your competitors.

You just have to keep applying and hope someone gets back to you. It defiantly sucks but thats just the way it works.

Good luck and keep applying !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (246)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (184)
42.79%

Watched Threads