The Student Room Group

Migrant worker with NHS placement

Hello, I applied for a tuition loan as an EU student. I then received a letter back saying that as I had been working in the UK for 3 years I may qualify as a migrant worker and to complete the PN1. I did so and sent it in but only realized after that to qualify I d have to keep my present job and go to school full time. My present job is full time 9 to 5. My degree has me placed 50% of the time in NHS hospitals (unpaid). So my question is, should I withdraw my migrant worker application as I am afraid that its processing will delay or affect my receiving the tuition portion of the loan.Thank you, Kat
Original post by Griswald
Hello, I applied for a tuition loan as an EU student. I then received a letter back saying that as I had been working in the UK for 3 years I may qualify as a migrant worker and to complete the PN1. I did so and sent it in but only realized after that to qualify I d have to keep my present job and go to school full time. My present job is full time 9 to 5. My degree has me placed 50% of the time in NHS hospitals (unpaid). So my question is, should I withdraw my migrant worker application as I am afraid that its processing will delay or affect my receiving the tuition portion of the loan.Thank you, Kat

Hi Kat, that's not correct. You need to be self supporting for 3 years to apply as an independent student, not as a Migrant Worker.

You can't receive Migrant Worker funding if your job is your placement. You must be working throughout your studies or the loan will be stopped. If you do want to cancel the Migrant Worker loan and just apply for the EU funding then you can send the EU application form.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Thank you Isaac,

Appreciate your reply. The way I understood it was I had to keep the same job I have now for the 3 years of my course. I can find another job to support myself during my students but doubt I will be able to keep the same job I have now due to the hours being 9-5.

But if all I have to do is continue to support myself to keep migrant worker status then I will do.

Thanks again,

Kat
Original post by Griswald
Thank you Isaac,

Appreciate your reply. The way I understood it was I had to keep the same job I have now for the 3 years of my course. I can find another job to support myself during my students but doubt I will be able to keep the same job I have now due to the hours being 9-5.

But if all I have to do is continue to support myself to keep migrant worker status then I will do.

Thanks again,

Kat

Yes you must keep working but you can change jobs, it doesn't have to be the same job.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending