This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
M617 - Liverpool FC Motion 2020; 04MR17 MP

This House congratulates the achievements of Liverpool Football Club in their Premier League victory.

This House notes the celebrations that have occurred across the city of Liverpool and beyond by fans of the club and the game.

This House condemns the large gatherings that have been witnessed outside Anfield stadium and at the Pier Head.1 Such large gatherings risk the further spread of Covid-19, which the North West region is notably reporting higher cases of than most other parts of the country. 2

This House supports the efforts by Merseyside Police to arrest offenders, and attempt to control the behaviour of those supporters displaying poor conduct. This House notes and thanks the pleas by Liverpool FC for fans to celebrate at home rather than in public.

To continue to manage this situation, the House recommends to Liverpool City Council, Merseyside police and other relevant authorities to undertake the following measures:

- Consideration of closing licensed public houses in Liverpool on the evenings of the remaining Liverpool FC games (8th July, 11th July, 15th July, 18ht July, 26th July).3 Some Liverpool FC supporters have demonstrated their inability to follow public health rules and therefore it is unrealistic to expect them to be able to social distance inside these establishments.

- An increased police presence outside Anfield stadium and at the Pier Head. This should include the sharing of staff resources from neighbouring forces if necessary.

- Dispersal of crowds larger than 50 in public places in the city.

- Arrest of supporters in possession of fireworks within a crowded place.4

Liverpool FC and its supporters organisations have worked hard to defend, improve and protect the reputation of Liverpool FC fans since 1989. This House recognises that the behaviour witnessed in the last week from Liverpool FC supporters has been undertaken by a small minority of the club's fanbase, and calls upon those behaving poorly to recognise the damaging impact their actions have on the reputation of their club and their city.

References:
1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-53203765

2. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...tionsurveydata (Table 4)

3. It may be noted that there is a Liverpool game due on Sunday 5th July, but this motion cannot pass division before then.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52977388

4. This is in respect of the damage of approximately £10 000 to Liverpool's Liver Building as a result of a firework being set off by some supporters that struck the Liver Building, causing a fire to break out. See reference point #1.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye to bringing vandals to justice. Nay to dispersing crowds and wanting the policy to enforce social distancing. Mass gatherings do not correlate with uncontrollable COVID-19 spreading.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Aye to bringing vandals to justice. Nay to dispersing crowds and wanting the policy to enforce social distancing. Mass gatherings do not correlate with uncontrollable COVID-19 spreading.
Mass gatherings do correlate with violent behaviour and public unrest in this case. :awesome:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, naturally.

Welcome to my termly Scouse item.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Given that the police are already ordered to break up protests I think it’s safe to say that they should be doing so for football hooligans too.

Also, I agree with the rest. I was especially annoyed to hear about the Liber building being burned when the championship was won. I do not understand why fans of Liverpool want to destroy the city just to celebrate. Such behaviour is foolish and should be discouraged in the strongest possible terms.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, very sensible
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Furthermore, to avoid such disturbances next season, this House calls upon the government to legislate for Manchester City to automatically receive the Premier League title.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Furthermore, to avoid such disturbances next season, this House calls upon the government to legislate for Manchester City to automatically receive the Premier League title.

Could we worse I suppose **looks in Connor's direction**
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could always just abolish the Liverpool team, and do the whole country a world of good.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Could always just abolish the Liverpool team, and do the whole country a world of good.
FTFY
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
FTFY
I have enough scousers in my parts as it is, don't need more of them which would come from the abolition of Liverpool :lol:
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not the most knowledgeable about football.
I do support the measures in this motion minus the closing public houses part. If the social distancing rules are properly enforced and police making sure they don't get rowdy, then a pint or two legally should be fine.
Cici M
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This doesn't seem sensible. By this logic you should close all public houses on all matchdays near all Premier League teams and even Championship. Fans will congregate in their club-affiliated public houses, irregardless of whether they have won the Premier League. I have seen images today of crowded pubs from places like Watford, Manchester, Bournemouth, Norwich.

I trust you would also suggest public houses would be closed when teams reach the cup final, achieve promotion et cetera?
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, I agree with the contents of this motion.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One possible and perhaps sensible course of action, short of closing pubs entirely, would be to ban them from showing live sport for now. That at least would make the fans go home to actually watch the games.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
One possible and perhaps sensible course of action, short of closing pubs entirely, would be to ban them from showing live sport for now. That at least would make the fans go home to actually watch the games.
Great way to kill local pubs when they need all the patrons they can get at the moment.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure a few bin dippers being rowdy means we need a motion.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
I'm not sure a few bin dippers being rowdy means we need a motion.
We don't! This is a motion for the sake of a motion that's out of touch with why people act the way they act.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
We don't! This is a motion for the sake of a motion that's out of touch with why people act the way they act.
If anything this is a matter for the Democratic People's Militant Republic of Liverpool City Council. Definitely not the House's problem.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
If anything this is a matter for the Democratic People's Militant Republic of Liverpool City Council. Definitely not the House's problem.
And that's why the Motion recommends actions to the City Council, rather than the government.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (181)
38.11%
Take autumn exams (147)
30.95%
Look for a job (16)
3.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.42%
Take a year out (82)
17.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.89%

Watched Threads