anaindiemood
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m just wondering from anyone who’s doing this degree or has completed this degree what careers yourself/colleagues are going on to do? What type of options are there for going into a career in healthcare for example(excluding GEM)?
St George's, University of London
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there anaindiemood

There's a huge variety of careers you can go into - some of the most popular pickings are of course becoming a biomedical scientist, moving into medical law, finance, other research positions, some people choose to do masters and move into physiotherapy, pharmacy, occupational therapy and other fields.

If you have a particular interest, let me know and I'll see what the options are surrounding that. I'm also a biomedical science student, so if you have any questions about the course itself, feel free to ask me.

Hope that helps,
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
anaindiemood
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by St George's, University of London)
Hi there anaindiemood

There's a huge variety of careers you can go into - some of the most popular pickings are of course becoming a biomedical scientist, moving into medical law, finance, other research positions, some people choose to do masters and move into physiotherapy, pharmacy, occupational therapy and other fields.

If you have a particular interest, let me know and I'll see what the options are surrounding that. I'm also a biomedical science student, so if you have any questions about the course itself, feel free to ask me.

Hope that helps,
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep
Hi Lauren!

Thank you for your reply! In terms of the course itself how is the course divided in terms of lab/practical work and then theory alone? Is there a heavy emphasis on going into research, as I generally prefer the theoretical side of biomed as opposed to the pure lab side?
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by St George's, University of London)
Hi there anaindiemood

Hope that helps,
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep
You can't graduate from a standard Biomedical Science degree from SGUL and become a Biomedical Scientist. You should point this out in any advice you offer.

The NHS has become saturated with people who have graduated with a Biomedical Science degree who are working in non-graduate roles because they weren't told before applying for University that they needed far more to actually work as a Biomedical Scientist and the advice offered by Universities is a massive culprit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15.04%
I'm not sure (14)
3.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (141)
33.65%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.43%
I'm not a current university student (195)
46.54%

Watched Threads