Will predicted grades matter as much for current Y12s, in this Covid-19 situation?

Watch
zshahzada2014
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am in a bit of a pickle as I am interested in doing medicine for Uni but my predicted grades right now are at A*/A/B(Maths, Bio and Chem) most likely. It is my fault as I procrastinated most of the year and was going to try a few months before mocks, but clearly that didn't happen. Will I still stand a chance when I apply to A/A/A courses?

P.S - My GCSE grades are 9/8/8/8/8/7/7/6/6/5.
zshahzada2014
Rep:
?
To expand, this was my first experience with free periods so I didn't utilize a single free period for revision. I know it is nothing to be proud of but I also did the bare minimum at home and thus ended up messing my grades. However, I am confident that I can get A*/A*/A. Chemistry is the only one I am struggling with.
ACEdaEXAM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yah ofc. your applying this sept and you will need them. dont be like me who didnt care about predicted grades. take the advice children
zshahzada2014
Rep:
?
So not even a tad bit of leniency, if I am one grade below and have, let's say a fantastic UCAT score?
I know there are a lot of ifs, but I know what I can achieve when I set my mind to it and I know I can do this.
Amina25
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zshahzada2014)
To expand, this was my first experience with free periods so I didn't utilize a single free period for revision. I know it is nothing to be proud of but I also did the bare minimum at home and thus ended up messing my grades. However, I am confident that I can get A*/A*/A. Chemistry is the only one I am struggling with.
I’m in this position kind of . I got my predicted grades already with a B in bio and chem 😬.
zshahzada2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amina25)
I’m in this position kind of . I got my predicted grades already with a B in bio and chem 😬.
Are you sure they are the final predicted ones that are going to go on the UCAS application?
What I am planning to do is literally spam my teachers with emails about what I am doing and invent excuses to ask them for help over the summer so when they calculate my predicted grades in September, I have a chance of improving.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you sure they are the final predicted ones that are going to go on the UCAS application?
What I am planning to do is literally spam my teachers with emails about what I am doing and invent excuses to ask them for help over the summer so when they calculate my predicted grades in September, I have a chance of improving.
Grades you get in Year 12 are not the final predicted grades that get sent to UCAS, you will get the opportunity to show you have improved in Year 13. Many schools are doing mock exams in September so I would check with your school if they are intending to do this
zshahzada2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Grades you get in Year 12 are not the final predicted grades that get sent to UCAS, you will get the opportunity to show you have improved in Year 13. Many schools are doing mock exams in September so I would check with your school if they are intending to do this
Yes, our teacher said they most likely are doing mocks in September. I was just worried that I wouldn't get a chance to show properly how much I have improved.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The problem is that Medicine is vastly oversubsribed and many more applicants get rejected than accepted. You need to discuss and prove to your Chemistry teacher you can get as A when you go back. I suspect without the A many universities will reject you for such a competitive course..
zshahzada2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The problem is that Medicine is vastly oversubsribed and many more applicants get rejected than accepted. You need to discuss and prove to your Chemistry teacher you can get as A when you go back. I suspect without the A many universities will reject you for such a competitive course..
Yeah, I understand what you said. What I plan on doing is making a summer revision folder on google drive and put lots of work in it. I will try and regularly ask them for help, not just my chemistry teachers but my bio and maths one as well. Do you think I can go up a grade from there or no?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, our teacher said they most likely are doing mocks in September. I was just worried that I wouldn't get a chance to show properly how much I have improved.
You will get the chance in the mocks and by your classwork in September
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I understand what you said. What I plan on doing is making a summer revision folder on google drive and put lots of work in it. I will try and regularly ask them for help, not just my chemistry teachers but my bio and maths one as well. Do you think I can go up a grade from there or no?
If you can show that you are working at the higher grade there is no reason for your teacher not to give you the higher grade prediction. You will have limited time though due to the earlier deadline for Medicine. Even with your better grades you might still not get an offer. This is the reality many face every year as Medicine is heavily oversubscribed.
Amina25
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I already emailed my teachers and they said they’re not changing it regardless despite it being based off work we did between September to March. I plan on getting a great ucat in the summer and revising all the year 1 content for exams we have when we return . Then I’ll ask them to change it .
zshahzada2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amina25)
I already emailed my teachers and they said they’re not changing it regardless despite it being based off work we did between September to March. I plan on getting a great ucat in the summer and revising all the year 1 content for exams we have when we return . Then I’ll ask them to change it .
Keep your options open though. If you are 100% sure your predictions are low for you, you still have a chance to get into a "better" university through a process called adjustment (where you exceed your predicted grades and are given the option to "upgrade" to a higher achieving Uni or course). It is risky but people have gotten into medicine through this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (165)
25%
Better than expected (133)
20.15%
Worse than expected (362)
54.85%

Watched Threads