Why can only doctors confirm deaths?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A nurse can surely confirm a patient is dead after 3 years of training. They can do all the checks a doctor does. It doesn't make any sense how a junior doctor can sign off a death certificate but a nurse can't?
username4222532
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A nurse cant right out a perscription
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A nurse can surely confirm a patient is dead after 3 years of training. They can do all the checks a doctor does. It doesn't make any sense how a junior doctor can sign off a death certificate but a nurse can't?
Most of the time, practically the nurses know if a patient is dead or about to die.

However there are cases that patients seemed "dead" but actually had reversible, treatable causes of pathology (e.g. hypothermia being a prime example) and they "came back to life" after treatment. The nurses wouldn't have had training in diagnosing that.

Plus, patients on ITU are often in deep coma and the line between that and brain death can be blurry.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by laughinglad999)
They can take prescribing courses i think.

(Original post by ecolier)
Most of the time, practically the nurses know if a patient is dead or about to die.

However there are cases that patients seemed "dead" but actually had reversible, treatable causes of pathology (e.g. hypothermia being a prime example) and they "came back to life" after treatment. The nurses wouldn't have had training in diagnosing that.

Plus, patients on ITU are often in deep coma and the line between that and brain death can be blurry.
They should receive training in it. It would save a lot of time and doctors and save unnecessary time waiting for doctors. Can't an ECG and a torch in the eye show if a patient is dead or alive. Oh yeah I understand if a patient is in a coma.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...Can't an ECG and a torch in the eye show if a patient is dead or alive...
It is more complicated than that...

For a start not everyone in asystole is brain dead. and not everyone with no pupillary reflexes is dead either.

Plus. confirming death in most cases is done by junior doctors anyway - it is just part of our work. And it doesn't take that long.

Taking blood, on the other hand, really should be done by nurses but are not (in the UK anyway). This seemingly mundane task takes away hundreds of thousands of hours of junior doctor time.
Bexjw
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They should receive training in it. It would save a lot of time and doctors and save unnecessary time waiting for doctors. Can't an ECG and a torch in the eye show if a patient is dead or alive. Oh yeah I understand if a patient is in a coma.
Oh my days. 😳
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bexjw)
Oh my days. 😳
That's normally a few of the tests done. By no means the only thing used to identify someone as dead.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bexjw)
Oh my days. 😳
No need to be rude either. I'm talking from personal experience where I saw doctors do an ecg number of different tests that a nurse could do and then confirmed death. This would be different to patients who were in a coma etc.
Anonymous #1
It is more complicated than that...

For a start not everyone in asystole is brain dead. and not everyone with no pupillary reflexes is dead either.

Plus. confirming death in most cases is done by junior doctors anyway - it is just part of our work. And it doesn't take that long.

Taking blood, on the other hand, really should be done by nurses but are not (in the UK anyway). This seemingly mundane task takes away hundreds of thousands of hours of junior doctor time.
I wasn't talking about confirming the death takes long. I meant waiting for the doctor to come and confirm the death takes long as they have a lot of other jobs to do. I agree they should be able to take bloods as well.

What proportion of the medical degree is diagnosing death I would think a small part or is it more part of holistic care.

I'm sorry if I sound naive :-(
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...I'm sorry if I sound naive :-(
No, don't be. It's good that you're interested in niche topics like this.

...What proportion of the medical degree is diagnosing death I would think a small part or is it more part of holistic care...
It depends on the medical school. I personally learnt it as part of the anaesthetics block (since the ITU is staffed by anaesthetic doctors, and they are really most qualified at this).

I wasn't talking about confirming the death takes long. I meant waiting for the doctor to come and confirm the death takes long as they have a lot of other jobs to do...
The thing is, this doesn't happen very often. Thankfully not a lot of patients die in hospitals routinely - with better palliative care it is planned when and where someone is likely to pass away.

In fact this is one of the few jobs that doctors really wouldn't mind doing, since it doesn't take a lot of time and is fairly straightforward. It's completing the death certificate afterwards and writing up the crem form that takes longer (but then you get paid for writing the crem form... at least for the next few months!).

Taking bloods, on the other hand, while it doesn't take long there are soooo much of it that cumulatively it takes way more time. Plus virtually all European nurses, and all US nurses (as far as I know) have to know how to take blood.
TheMandalorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It depends on the medical school. I personally learnt it as part of the anaesthetics block (since the ITU is staffed by anaesthetic doctors, and they are really most qualified at this).
Is it possible for people to come back to life when in a morgue?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BuckHowls)
Is it possible for people to come back to life when in a morgue?
It's not unheard of, some people are even found to be alive at funerals.

The thing is, there are a few medical conditions (including drug induced) that can really accurately mimic death. Hypothermia is a prime example and some people make a good recovery from "being dead" with no pulse, no breathing, fixed pupils etc.
Anonymous #1

The thing is, this doesn't happen very often. Thankfully not a lot of patients die in hospitals routinely - with better palliative care it is planned when and where someone is likely to pass away.

In fact this is one of the few jobs that doctors really wouldn't mind doing, since it doesn't take a lot of time and is fairly straightforward. It's completing the death certificate afterwards and writing up the crem form that takes longer (but then you get paid for writing the crem form... at least for the next few months!).

Taking bloods, on the other hand, while it doesn't take long there are soooo much of it that cumulatively it takes way more time. Plus virtually all European nurses, and all US nurses (as far as I know) have to know how to take blood.
Thank you so so much. I understand it a lot more now. Yeah nurses should be taught how to take blood, it would free up a lot more of the doctors time.I appreciate you taking the time out to inform me and I wish you well ❤️
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so so much. I understand it a lot more now. Yeah nurses should be taught how to take blood, it would free up a lot more of the doctors time.I appreciate you taking the time out to inform me and I wish you well ❤️
No problem. Feel free to ask more medical Qs here (but we can't diagnose, that's all)
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by laughinglad999)
Now they can! Nurse Prescribers are a thing now.

They have their own BNF. Helpfully called the NPF now!
(Original post by Bexjw)
Oh my days. 😳
hahahahahahahaha
Can't an ECG and a torch in the eye show if a patient is dead or alive.
Mate... this is a hospital, not Kwik Fit.

Shine a torch and hook up to a machine. Yikes
Bexjw
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FRS500)

Not gonna’ lie, that proper cracked me up! 😂
Anonymous #1
(Original post by FRS500)
Now they can! Nurse Prescribers are a thing now.

They have their own BNF. Helpfully called the NPF now!

hahahahahahahaha

That's two of the many tests doctors do when confirming the death of a patient. Instead of sniggering you can provide some useful input or go.

(Original post by Bexjw)
Not gonna’ lie, that proper cracked me up! 😂
But couldn't reply to my comment above. Nice to know.
Bexjw
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But couldn't reply to my comment above. Nice to know.
You quoted me twice looking for an argument and saying I was rude, so forgive me for not wanting to engage further.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bexjw)
You quoted me twice looking for an argument and saying I was rude, so forgive me for not wanting to engage further.
Because you were rude. I'm a student looking for advice and instead of giving it you laugh and then communicate with other users on this site to further mock me. If I'm not mistake that's not constructive.
Shows ecolier is a medical doctor who actually wants to help people on this site compared to you.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Really? Only doctors take blood in the UK?? That's crazy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (266)
40.12%
Take autumn exams (200)
30.17%
Look for a job (22)
3.32%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.77%
Take a year out (111)
16.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (39)
5.88%

Watched Threads