The Student Room Group

Car accident- 3rd party says it never happened

Hi guys

Im just interested to see what everyone thinks regarding an accident i was involved in earlier this year as the 3rd party have basically said that the accident never took place.
Me and my Mum were sitting idle in traffic as the lights were on Red and the 3rd party, clear as day went right into the back of us. I jumped out to assess what had happened and took photos immediately on my phone; making sure to get both cars and license plates in view. My mum took details of the 3rd party driver and insurance, however i do not believe that the 3rd party made a note of any of our details, other than the passenger giving me his mobile number as contact and in return i rang him so he had mine. At no point did they get out there car to assess the damage or take any photographs. They were quite a horrible couple to deal with to be honest, the lady driving exclaimed “her brakes weren’t working” and the guy got quite aggressive with me when he saw me on the phone as he thought i had rang the police. He also said as we were leaving “tell your insurance i was in the back of your car when you ring them so i get some money too” laughing whilst he said so.

This happened in February and we have gone through all the procedures with the Law firm that is used within our insurance policy. We heard absolutely nothing back until yesterday when my case handler informed me that she had spoken to the 3rd party insurance company and they said the reason they havnt been replying too much is because there client informs them that no accident took place; laughable. My case handler expressed how absurd that is and informed them we will be looking to issue Court proceedings and that we have a trough of evidence that proves the accident took place. My issue is that although I have photographs of the accident the damage appears minimal however the car did require work on the underside and a brand new bumper so it was worse than it looked. The 3rd parties car paint is quite clearly on my bumper and if you do zoom in you can also see the cracking and damage as well. As evidence i have the photographs from the accident as well as more from when i returned home to inspect the damage closer, i have the damager report from the garage that did the repairs (through the insurance) and i also have medical reports of our injuries that were performed by a Private GP through the law company.

I am currently waiting for the Litigation team to get in touch with me about the court proceedings, however my case handler is content that the case will never get to court. She is also waiting on the litigation teams advice regarding releasing our evidence as she wants to make sure she does it when the time is right.

Do you think there is any cause for concern here? It is highly frustrating that someone has gone right into the back of me and then have the audacity to say it never happened.

Apologies for the lengthy post, any feedback and help is appreciated.

Michael
I see no cause for concern.
well you are lucky that these *******s had insurance. so many don't bother.
Reply 3
Original post by MLAtherton
Hi guys

Im just interested to see what everyone thinks regarding an accident i was involved in earlier this year as the 3rd party have basically said that the accident never took place.
Me and my Mum were sitting idle in traffic as the lights were on Red and the 3rd party, clear as day went right into the back of us. I jumped out to assess what had happened and took photos immediately on my phone; making sure to get both cars and license plates in view. My mum took details of the 3rd party driver and insurance, however i do not believe that the 3rd party made a note of any of our details, other than the passenger giving me his mobile number as contact and in return i rang him so he had mine. At no point did they get out there car to assess the damage or take any photographs. They were quite a horrible couple to deal with to be honest, the lady driving exclaimed “her brakes weren’t working” and the guy got quite aggressive with me when he saw me on the phone as he thought i had rang the police. He also said as we were leaving “tell your insurance i was in the back of your car when you ring them so i get some money too” laughing whilst he said so.

This happened in February and we have gone through all the procedures with the Law firm that is used within our insurance policy. We heard absolutely nothing back until yesterday when my case handler informed me that she had spoken to the 3rd party insurance company and they said the reason they havnt been replying too much is because there client informs them that no accident took place; laughable. My case handler expressed how absurd that is and informed them we will be looking to issue Court proceedings and that we have a trough of evidence that proves the accident took place. My issue is that although I have photographs of the accident the damage appears minimal however the car did require work on the underside and a brand new bumper so it was worse than it looked. The 3rd parties car paint is quite clearly on my bumper and if you do zoom in you can also see the cracking and damage as well. As evidence i have the photographs from the accident as well as more from when i returned home to inspect the damage closer, i have the damager report from the garage that did the repairs (through the insurance) and i also have medical reports of our injuries that were performed by a Private GP through the law company.

I am currently waiting for the Litigation team to get in touch with me about the court proceedings, however my case handler is content that the case will never get to court. She is also waiting on the litigation teams advice regarding releasing our evidence as she wants to make sure she does it when the time is right.

Do you think there is any cause for concern here? It is highly frustrating that someone has gone right into the back of me and then have the audacity to say it never happened.

Apologies for the lengthy post, any feedback and help is appreciated.

Michael

This is something you need to ask the person in charge of your case, not a forum of (majority) students.
They gave you the insurance details did they not? That act alone is a strong admission they were in an accident with you. You also have photographic evidence.

The insurance companies will deal with it. If you were rear ended, the fault lays with the driver of the other car whatever the circumstance.

Keep in touch with your own insurance company.
Reply 5
Original post by uberteknik
They gave you the insurance details did they not? That act alone is a strong admission they were in an accident with you. You also have photographic evidence.

The insurance companies will deal with it. If you were rear ended, the fault lays with the driver of the other car whatever the circumstance.

Keep in touch with your own insurance company.

So if you're cruising along at 70mph on the motorway and someone pulls out from a slip road in front of you at 30mph and you hit them, you'd be at fault? I find it very unlikely - to the contrary the driver that pulled out would probably be charged with driving-without-due-care-and-attention or something along those lines.

I do agree that in almost all circumstances the driver in the rear is at fault though for not keeping a safe following distance.
Original post by Nuffles
So if you're cruising along at 70mph on the motorway and someone pulls out from a slip road in front of you at 30mph and you hit them, you'd be at fault? I find it very unlikely - to the contrary the driver that pulled out would probably be charged with driving-without-due-care-and-attention or something along those lines.

I do agree that in almost all circumstances the driver in the rear is at fault though for not keeping a safe following distance.

Someone would also likely end up dead or seriously injured so the authorities would rule on that. The motorway case is not really an average 'rear-ended' fender-bender shunt. Which is what the OP, I assume, meant.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
These things are everyday and small beer to insurance companies, you can have no confidence that they will fight your corner. They will settle it in the least hassle and cost way for them. It’s not worth getting stressed about to be honest.
Reply 8
Do you have photographs of their car at the scene with damage to the front? If so, I'd say you are good.
Reply 9
Original post by Talon
Do you have photographs of their car at the scene with damage to the front? If so, I'd say you are good.

Thanks Talon, yes i do have this, two photographs to be precise, 1 immediately after the accident with the cars still in position on the road then 1 after they had pulled up onto the side and put there hazards on.

Both clearly show the damage to the front bumper, albeit minimal damage (cracked number plate, paint transfer area and small parts of the bumper displaced)
Reply 10
Original post by MLAtherton
Thanks Talon, yes i do have this, two photographs to be precise, 1 immediately after the accident with the cars still in position on the road then 1 after they had pulled up onto the side and put there hazards on.

Both clearly show the damage to the front bumper, albeit minimal damage (cracked number plate, paint transfer area and small parts of the bumper displaced)

Not sure how they could dispute it when you have a photograph of their damaged vehicle at the scene of the accident. Just let the lawyers sort it out.
Original post by the bear
well you are lucky that these *******s had insurance. so many don't bother.

Isn't there any state-fund that guarantees you would be compensated, and impose fines on those who cause accident and doesn't have insurance?
Reply 12
Original post by PTMalewski
Isn't there any state-fund that guarantees you would be compensated, and impose fines on those who cause accident and doesn't have insurance?

Sort of. It's funded by the insurers themselves rather than the state. The payout is usually significantly lower than would have been received if the other party was insured.
Original post by IWMTom
Sort of. It's funded by the insurers themselves rather than the state. The payout is usually significantly lower than would have been received if the other party was insured.

Make it: crash without insurance? Have to sell house to pay fines to the fund. Problem solved.
Reply 14
Original post by PTMalewski
Make it: crash without insurance? Have to sell house to pay fines to the fund. Problem solved.

I'll let the Transport Secretary know next time I have lunch with them
Original post by IWMTom
I'll let the Transport Secretary know next time I have lunch with them

Please do. And make sure the Ministry of Defense remembers the invasion on Poronia scheduled for 7.00am, it's really important.
Original post by Talon
Not sure how they could dispute it when you have a photograph of their damaged vehicle at the scene of the accident. Just let the lawyers sort it out.

You'd be amazed how many things you can get away with simply by repeatedly denying it in the face of evidence.

Quick Reply

Latest