Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started work at the end of July, and when i got my pay check thing i think i'm being taxed quite alot ...

I only work part time and i'm only 17 (still in school) so should i be being taxed the normal amount..

I think i earnt £70 something and got taxed £15 ??

Just wondered..thankies : )

ReputationRep:
    Ask your employer/manager about getting a P46 I think it is sent off.

It's 1 of these I think:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

ReputationRep:
    No, it is a P38(S). A P46 is filled in if you don't have a P45 (so you may have to complete both).

ReputationRep:
    What does it say your tax code is

if it is BRW1 you are on emergency tax and have to chase the tax man around with quite a few forms and your employer to stop getting taxed anymore, and to get that money refunded you have to see your local office and send off more forms.(pain takes months im still in the middle of it all)

if the code is something like 500L it is normal and you are getting taxed based on how much you should if you worked that many hours every week/month for the year, if you then work less (or none at all) one month it gets adjusted about and your money paid back in theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No, it is a P38(S). A P46 is filled in if you don't have a P45 (so you may have to complete both).
    Ah, ok - sorry. I asked my friend when I posted that as he had the same problem and he told me he sent off a P46, pft! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    So should i ask my employer or contact someone ??

My tax code thing is the B M1 ?? if that makes any sense : )

ReputationRep:
    You can probably download a form from the HMRC site, but talk to your employer.

ReputationRep:
    I sent off a P46 form because it was my first job and I've never had a P45 before. Took a while and then I stopped getting taxed, I then only got my tax back until I quit my job and gave the HMRC office that deals with my tax etc. and I was told to send my P45 away with a cover letter. Four weeks after sending the letter I got my money back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinglrb)
    I sent off a P46 form because it was my first job and I've never had a P45 before. Took a while and then I stopped getting taxed, I then only got my tax back until I quit my job and gave the HMRC office that deals with my tax etc. and I was told to send my P45 away with a cover letter. Four weeks after sending the letter I got my money back
    so should i download a p46, and send it away ??

I've only been paid once so it was only £15 but this month i've worked loads in the holiday so dont want it all to be taken : (

I also filled out a form on the hmrc website and it said i shouldnt have been taxed that much ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah_Jeffries)
    so should i download a p46, and send it away ??

I've only been paid once so it was only £15 but this month i've worked loads in the holiday so dont want it all to be taken : (

I also filled out a form on the hmrc website and it said i shouldnt have been taxed that much ??
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Any money that is not supposed to be taxed, you will get it back... eventually.

I got taxed when I first started, 23% I think emergency tax. I called head office and they sent a form to my manager who filled most of it in, and I done the rest. The tax stopped, and after a while, I got the £200+ tax they owed me in one of my normal weekly payslips. I didn't even have to write to them or anything.

ReputationRep:
    ahh ok i think i will just ask my manager when i get paid on thursday .... WOOO

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.