jaffacakehero
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm terrified to get my results because I know that no matter what I get I won't be satisfied
. If the results are not what I wan't them to be I know I won't be able to stop crying and even thinking about it will set me off in tears for months.
How can I deal with this ?

I'm just not ready to receive them. Should I ask to get them sent out and then just not read them until I'm ready?
I don't know how to deal with all of the happy people asking me what I got or them telling me what they got. Should I turn my phone off?
I'm sorry if it sounds stupid but I just don't know how to deal with this much disappointment. It is literally life changing
annabel_39
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jaffacakehero)
I'm terrified to get my results because I know that no matter what I get I won't be satisfied
. If the results are not what I wan't them to be I know I won't be able to stop crying and even thinking about it will set me off in tears for months.

I'm just not ready to receive them. Should I ask to get them sent out and then just not read them until I'm ready?
I don't know how to deal with all of the happy people asking me what I got or them telling me what they got. Should I turn my phone off?
I'm sorry if it sounds stupid but I just don't know how to deal with this much disappointment. It is literally life changing
i’m sorry that you’re dreading them so badly because that can’t be a nice feeling, but i have a few things to say that might help
1) there’s a lot of talk going round that teachers are being really over generous with the grades they submit for each student. this means most likely that you’ll get higher than you think!
2) whatever your most recent predicted grade is, your final gcse grade you get will NOT be lower than this! they cant go below your predicted grade, they just cant. and they won’t. it will probably be your predicted grade or one/two grades above depending on certain things obviously
3) you’re gonna hate me for saying this but gcses really don’t matter as much as you think right now, even if you think you’re gonna be crying over your results for months you won’t, trust me. by the time sixth form/college starts you’ll move on from gcses completely, and leave them behind. a levels are gonna be so much more to think about and so much more important, so instead of worrying about gcses maybe try and think about a levels? sorry to sound really patronising but i’m not, i know how you feel
4)try to slightly distance yourself from others who say they’re stressed about their results because it’s gonna make you more stressed to hear their panic.
5) on the actual day, just get the envelope and then decide what you want to do with it after that. you might find you wanna open it as soon as you get it, but you might also want to wait until you’re home or something. don’t just follow what others do and because it matters a lot to you, make sure it’s done the way you want.

hope everything turns out great for you, i’m sure it will don’t worry
Last edited by annabel_39; 1 month ago
jaffacakehero
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by annabel_39)
i’m sorry that you’re dreading them so badly because that can’t be a nice feeling, but i have a few things to say that might help
1) there’s a lot of talk going round that teachers are being really over generous with the grades they submit for each student. this means most likely that you’ll get higher than you think!
2) whatever your most recent predicted grade is, your final gcse grade you get will NOT be lower than this! they cant go below your predicted grade, they just cant. and they won’t. it will probably withyes your predicted grade or one/two grades above depending on certain things obviously
3) you’re gonna hate me for saying this but gcses really don’t matter as much as you think right now, even if you think you’re gonna be crying over your results for months you won’t, trust me. by the time sixth form/college starts you’ll move on from gcses completely, and leave them behind. a levels are gonna be so much more to think about and so much more important, so instead of worrying about gcses maybe try and think about a levels? sorry to sound really patronising but i’m not, i know how you feel
4)try to slightly distance yourself from others who say they’re stressed about their results because it’s gonna make you more stressed to hear their panic.
5) on the actual day, just get the envelope and then decide what you want to do with it after that. you might find you wanna open it as soon as you get it, but you might also want to wait until you’re home or something. don’t just follow what others do and because it matters a lot to you, make sure it’s done the way you want.

hope everything turns out great for you, i’m sure it will don’t worry
Thank you so much. Just having some advice helps massively. There is just so much pressure to do well because I want to go to medical school. I was seriously ill last year and spent most of my time in hospital so I had to retake the year with all new teachers. Then COVID happened and I found out grades are based off of their opinions.

I just want to thank you,
you really calmed me down
nightedworld
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

getting your gcse’s are really stressful because it’s your first set of important results and i felt a similar way to you last year when i got mine. however, it will feel really important now but as long as you can get onto the course/job/apprenticeship you want they don’t matter at all. i haven’t needed my gcse results since leaving high school.
it isn’t the end of the world if you don’t get what you wanted as much as it will feel like it is.
you probably have done better than you thought, most people do.
i’m sure it will turn out okay for you, if it doesn’t go how you wanted you can still go to medical school, your gcse results don’t determine a lot
annabel_39
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much. Just having some advice helps massively. There is just so much pressure to do well because I want to go to medical school. I was seriously ill last year and spent most of my time in hospital so I had to retake the year with all new teachers. Then COVID happened and I found out grades are based off of their opinions.

I just want to thank you,
you really calmed me down
no problem at all, i like helping people especially if it’s something they’re worried about, i personally hate being stressed over stuff because i overthink massively! sorry i didn’t say in my original reply but i’m also in year 11 awaiting my results, i probably sounded like i was in sixth form or something because of the stuff i was saying so sorry i didn’t make it clear! with the teachers opinions, i’m not exactly stressed over them, i think i’m just apprehensive and curious to see what i get from them. in economics my teacher has something against me for no reason and he’s moved my predicted grade down and down throughout year 11... i cant stand him. it looks like i’m now gonna be getting a 4 when at the start of y11 i was getting 7s. i don’t know what happened. tbh i hate economics with a passion and i know that i don’t give a single **** what i get for my result, i’ll just genuinely laugh if i get given a low grade. i’m not gonna cry over it because to me that subject doesn’t matter lol. on the other hand, maths & geography are so important to me because i’m doing them at sixth form. i’m not SCARED as such for any of my results, just curious and apprehensive i think

but yeah it’s no problem, and i’m glad i managed to help calm you down
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you're not comfortable going in person to receive them, then you don't have to. imo, it's better you're there in person anyway in case you need to discuss with teachers later what your a level options are and if they'll change etc. gcses aren't the end of the world and stressing about them won't change the situation or the grades you receive. you can still do great in a levels and beyond with average gcses. this year's been a very unusual situation and everyone's in the same boat as you.
Last edited by absolutelysprout; 1 month ago
cloud_9_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm in y11 aswell and I agree it can be stressful as we have little control as to what our final grades will be. i'd advise you to choose not to spend your energy and time worrying over it because nothing you do now will make your grades go up. We just have to accept that reality.
jaffacakehero
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by annabel_39)
no problem at all, i like helping people especially if it’s something they’re worried about, i personally hate being stressed over stuff because i overthink massively! sorry i didn’t say in my original reply but i’m also in year 11 awaiting my results, i probably sounded like i was in sixth form or something because of the stuff i was saying so sorry i didn’t make it clear! with the teachers opinions, i’m not exactly stressed over them, i think i’m just apprehensive and curious to see what i get from them. in economics my teacher has something against me for no reason and he’s moved my predicted grade down and down throughout year 11... i cant stand him. it looks like i’m now gonna be getting a 4 when at the start of y11 i was getting 7s. i don’t know what happened. tbh i hate economics with a passion and i know that i don’t give a single **** what i get for my result, i’ll just genuinely laugh if i get given a low grade. i’m not gonna cry over it because to me that subject doesn’t matter lol. on the other hand, maths & geography are so important to me because i’m doing them at sixth form. i’m not SCARED as such for any of my results, just curious and apprehensive i think

but yeah it’s no problem, and i’m glad i managed to help calm you down
Good luck! I'm sure your economics teacher will come to his senses and give you a good grade
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (200)
39.14%
Take autumn exams (155)
30.33%
Look for a job (17)
3.33%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.11%
Take a year out (88)
17.22%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.87%

Watched Threads