How to deal with nice but annoying friend?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need some serious advice about this. I have a super close friend, and we are like sisters. We love each other a lot, and are always texting when we're not together. But there's an issue here - she's very, erm, 'unique'. In the sense that she is actually a pretty annoying person the more time I have spent with her, and she doesn't communicate her thoughts that properly. She is actually super eccentric. It's starting to bother me, but she's a SUPER nice person, very kind and helpful and thoughtful. Very loving. It makes me feel bad to think about her not so good points, and I feel I'm only sticking with her because of her loving personality. Even our conversations are becoming dumb, she hardly keeps the convo going with her own thoughts. Instead, she just silently listens to me talk. Like we might be having a serious convo, I might be saying something serious about my own life, and she just listens and goes like 'mhm, mhm'. There's no further input from her unless I specifically say, 'say something, add your thoughts,' then she might suddenly start saying more. I didn't notice these things (and other irritating things I haven't listed here) before until I started meeting her for days and days every month. How can I deal with this? I do NOT want to end the friendship. Basically, how do you deal with an irritating person? Thanks.
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Talk to her about it? Theres no point in sitting here waiting for her to change on her own- you need to communicate that to her.
FingersXedAgain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I need some serious advice about this. I have a super close friend, and we are like sisters. We love each other a lot, and are always texting when we're not together. But there's an issue here - she's very, erm, 'unique'. In the sense that she is actually a pretty annoying person the more time I have spent with her, and she doesn't communicate her thoughts that properly. She is actually super eccentric. It's starting to bother me, but she's a SUPER nice person, very kind and helpful and thoughtful. Very loving. It makes me feel bad to think about her not so good points, and I feel I'm only sticking with her because of her loving personality. Even our conversations are becoming dumb, she hardly keeps the convo going with her own thoughts. Instead, she just silently listens to me talk. Like we might be having a serious convo, I might be saying something serious about my own life, and she just listens and goes like 'mhm, mhm'. There's no further input from her unless I specifically say, 'say something, add your thoughts,' then she might suddenly start saying more. I didn't notice these things (and other irritating things I haven't listed here) before until I started meeting her for days and days every month. How can I deal with this? I do NOT want to end the friendship. Basically, how do you deal with an irritating person? Thanks.
You deal with this by realising that you need to accommodate different types of people in your life if you want to grow into a well round adult.

Your friend is eccentric and a little quiet and won’t give you input unless asked? Well you can explain to her that you want to hear her thoughts on things and not to be afraid to share.

As for the undisclosed other annoying things she does, you really you are annoying too? Everyone is. Absolutely everyone has little quirks and foibles. So live and let live.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (13)
19.12%
Better than expected (16)
23.53%
Worse than expected (39)
57.35%

Watched Threads