The Student Room Group

Personal statement bore

I’ve written the intro for my personal statement a while ago but I cringe reading back on it. Does anyone have any idea how to write a good personal statement? Especially an intro. I know maybe writing a really good question or a quote is good but where can you find a quote and how do you come up with a good question that it somehow fits into the personal statement
What course are you applying for? I’m applying for Psychology and I used a quote by a psychologist Zimbardo and then said what interested me about his research. I then followed on from that to explain about how I read one of his books. It depends on your course but if you’ve read books/watched TED talks for it then maybe find a quote from that and explain why it interests you.
Original post by nightedworld
What course are you applying for? I’m applying for Psychology and I used a quote by a psychologist Zimbardo and then said what interested me about his research. I then followed on from that to explain about how I read one of his books. It depends on your course but if you’ve read books/watched TED talks for it then maybe find a quote from that and explain why it interests you.

It’s for computer science, it’s a very broad subject so I’m not exactly sure what to pinpoint for. Thank you for your suggestions they really helped! I appreciate it :smile:
Start in the middle and do the beginning at the end. I found that made my life easier.
Original post by AzureCeleste
Start in the middle and do the beginning at the end. I found that made my life easier.

I’ve heard quite a few people say that actually

Thank you!
You should generally avoid quotes and anecdotes entirely in your PS - they are a waste of space
Original post by Interrobang
You should generally avoid quotes and anecdotes entirely in your PS - they are a waste of space

But isn’t that a way to catch the reader?
Original post by Frose03
But isn’t that a way to catch the reader?

No - it's very rare that a quote would be 'unusual' or 'unique'. A PS isn't about catching the reader - it's about engaging with the subject and letting them know why you are interested. It's very rare that I have seen a quote or an anecdote work well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending