Turn on thread page Beta

Are English Literature, Religious studies and sociology regarded as "soft" A-levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    Also, are they interesting?

ReputationRep:
    Sociology maybe. English Lit definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    Some might find them interesting, some might not. Some might regard them as soft, some might not. It depends entirely on what you are hoping to study or do afterwards, why you are studying it, and whether you find it interesting or not.

ReputationRep:
    English and RS definitely not. Sociology, according to some universities, yes.

ReputationRep:
    never heard that english is soft...or RS for that matter

certainly hope not or I'm screwed...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, English Literature is - interesting. Not soft. Or else I'll give you a beating with my spank stick if you say it again :spank:

ReputationRep:
    English literature certainly isn't soft, the other two have a less traditional background but I wouldn't say they were ridiculed as subjects.

It doesn't matter how "soft" an option you take; a good student with real potential and talent will succeed whatever their subject is. It's about what you do with the skills you receive from the course and where you want to go.

Also have never worked out why Eng lit is so respected yet media or film studies are not - they're both concerned with the analysis/interpretation and production of texts. The concept of "respectable" seems a bit idiotic to me, for people who want to measure their intellectual calibre prematurely, you can take the most traditional subjects and still **** them up and gain nothing from it (and vice versa).

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be doing Psychology, Sociology and RE...So RE is not considered soft, sociology is and what about Psychology?

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is a little bit, but don't listen. It's good and often people find it harder than they expect.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard English Lit being described as 'soft' its one of the better arts A levels to take!

There are lots of threads on 'hard' and 'soft' subjects if you search the forums and I think there may even be a wiki page on it somewhere.

Psychology is definately regarded as quite soft, and Sociology often is.

ReputationRep:
    English Lit CERTAINLY isn't soft at all (although english language apparently is)

I'm not sure about the other two though

ReputationRep:
    But I mean really, you shouldn't let 'hard' and 'soft' decide which a-levels you do. If it won't hinder your university application then it doesn't really matter - do what you most want to

ReputationRep:
    haha, i should hope not - those are my three A2 subjects!

english lit and religious studies are both traditional subjects and are certainly not regarded as 'soft'. sociology often is, though, ironically, i find it a good deal more challenging than english lit and re.

ReputationRep:
    English Lit is one of the hardest A levels there is, and one of the most well-respected!!! English Language is considered to be more soft. Psychology is slightly and also Sociology, but they are still fine A levels..... its more subjects such as Dance or Photography that are thought of as useless.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology GCSE was really fun, so hopefully the A Level is the same
    Don't be put off because a subject is percieved as soft!

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.