Volg Paterson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have never tried this before and wanted to be productive this quarantine. My goal is to learn German and avoid spending money, If I need to, I will.

Where do I start and once I have learnt the basics, how do I progress onward?
How much time should I spending on what everyday?
I heard apps like duo lingo are good for basics but they aren't good in the long term for things like pronunciation, thoughts?
Any good resources/books?

Those are a few questions on my mind.

I would be interested in talking to anyone who has learn't German and their struggles.
Last edited by Volg Paterson; 4 months ago
robertgallacher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I was in a very similar position to you a few months ago, and it seems to be working so I'll go over what I did:

I started with Duolingo to get familiar with the basics, looking up grammar points if necessary, and practising vocab with revision cards. I also bought two GCSE revision guides so I could measure how well I was doing and to get a simple explanation of the grammar and a few topic areas for the vocabulary. I'm currently working through this, and after that I should be able to practice reading some simpler texts, and then I can hopefully improve through immersion and more complicated grammar books.

Hope this helps
babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hi! so i studied German at GCSE and have continued in my own time.

for basics use DuoLingo! it’s easy and you’ll be able to pick up the basics in no time! From here, you can look at websites such as Memrise or Seneca! These go more in depth into the language so you’ll advance your vocab!

As for pronunciation and getting used to hearing the language, I suggest watching some films or tv shoes in German. It sounds silly, but you’ll get used to hearing the language and the accents and ultimately this will improve your language skills.

Another great thing is music! If you go on YouTube, you’ll be able to find loads of German songs. I also listen to English songs I love but in German!

Bear in mind that word order and tenses are the most tricky part of learning German! I struggled so much with this so before learning loads of vocabulary, make sure you know your tenses and what order the words would be in for that tense. It gets easier once you’ve done it a few times haha!

You could always purchase a GCSE German guide to help you but most of what you need can be found online.

Hope this helps
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Volg Paterson)
I have never tried this before and wanted to be productive this quarantine. My goal is to learn German and avoid spending money, If I need to, I will.

I heard apps like duo lingo are good for basics but they aren't good in the long term for things like pronunciation, thoughts?

I would be interested in talking to anyone who has learn't German and their struggles.
Hey there! Duo Lingo is good for the basics etc so defo try that. I’d also suggest getting a dictionary too.

There are some other great resources like ‘Easy German’ on youtube (it is vox popping on the streets in Germany - has German and English Subtitles)

Nico’s weg (Nico’s Way) is also good - starts at A1 and goes up to B1.It’s about a Spanish tourist who has lost his bag and ends up a bit of a love story (I havent watched all of it!)

Mein Weg nach Deutschland (My way to Germany) is also good - about a Turkish girl who has just moved to Germany.

Dino in Berlin is good for reading (can get it on kindle or as an actual book - kindle is good as you can click on words you dint know)

Id also suggest German children’s shows - basic language and easy to follow plot. ‘Tom & Die Erdbeermaus’ (Tom and the strawberry mouse) was suggested to me by a german friend

I can try and help with anything too
Last edited by Jack22031994; 4 months ago
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Deutsche Welle runs a free online course in German that is very good it goes from complete beginner to better than Duolingo can teach imo I used it to revise not to learn but it would defo be good to learn with as well
JosephCiderBwoy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

I would always start with learning the basic phrases with Duolingo, e.g.
I can't be bothered doing the accents and special characters. Also, I've not done German in a year lol.
Ich heisse Josef. Ich bin 18 Jahre alt und ich lebe in London. Ich habe zwei Schwestern, eine Mutter und einen Vater. Meine Lieblingsoper ist die Zauberflöte.
Something like that, and memorising it for when you meet someone. Then afterwards, break it down and get started with the grammar. YouTube is of excellent help, as you have lots of options.
I would always start with the grammar, then learn the vocab afterwards. Given German has cases, you need to learn the noun and adjective declensions quite early on. Then put your knowledge to use, reading and writing basic sentences. This isn't a must, but having an proficient/fluent friend or penpal is great, as he/she can write sentences for you, have conversations with you, test you, and teach you. Having my mom's friend really helped me to advance in the language.
Just keep progressing at your own pace and you'll be fine. I can't stress the grammar enough, though.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I've been trying to start learning German too. So far I've been working through the lessons on Duolingo. If you use the desktop version then there is more content on there and it teaches you actual grammar, as opposed to on the app where it's mostly just the exercises (though they are starting to put more grammar content on there).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.37%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.48%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (82)
19.39%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.46%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.31%

Watched Threads