The Student Room Group

I have no clue what third a level to do

Im currently in year 11 moving onto sixth form next year however I only know for sure two a levels, biology and psychology. I have no idea what else to take as my third I just know I want to avoid the other sciences, maths and English. does anyone have any suggestions??
Reply 1
I'm in Year 12 and I'd say there's a few things you should consider when you try to choose your other option:

1 - University Options
If you know what course you want to do at university, then definitely look on university websites and see if there are any required or recommended subjects for that course
If you don't know what you want to do then you might want to try and choose a facilitating subject (e.g. a language) because this will keep your options open :smile:

2 - Strengths/Interests
A-levels are hard, so it's best to choose subjects that you really like and that you think you will do quite well in.
If you don't really enjoy any other GCSEs then you could try another new subject (e.g. politics) :smile:
If not, maybe look at what your strongest subjects are and base it on that - it will be much more enjoyable to study a subject which you find easier so definitely take that into account!

I also have a friend who does biology, psychology and sociology and she really likes her subject combination! She's applying for psychology at university for reference :smile:

I hope this helps - Also, I'm sure your school will be more than happy to guide you so try and email a teacher if you haven't already :smile:
How about Geography?
Reply 3
not really, I'm trying to keep it as open as possible
Reply 4
Original post by female_L
How about Geography?

I didn't study this at GCSE level would that matter?
Reply 5
Original post by Tommcbridee
I'm in Year 12 and I'd say there's a few things you should consider when you try to choose your other option:

1 - University Options
If you know what course you want to do at university, then definitely look on university websites and see if there are any required or recommended subjects for that course
If you don't know what you want to do then you might want to try and choose a facilitating subject (e.g. a language) because this will keep your options open :smile:

2 - Strengths/Interests
A-levels are hard, so it's best to choose subjects that you really like and that you think you will do quite well in.
If you don't really enjoy any other GCSEs then you could try another new subject (e.g. politics) :smile:
If not, maybe look at what your strongest subjects are and base it on that - it will be much more enjoyable to study a subject which you find easier so definitely take that into account!

I also have a friend who does biology, psychology and sociology and she really likes her subject combination! She's applying for psychology at university for reference :smile:

I hope this helps - Also, I'm sure your school will be more than happy to guide you so try and email a teacher if you haven't already :smile:

thank you!
History? A language? Drama? Music? Politics? Economics? PE? Sociology?
Hi there! I was really stuck when I was choosing my A levels. The main thing you need to decide is whether you intend to study a STEM (science, technology, engineering or maths) course at university. Those are mostly the only subjects which require you to have studied up to 3 science subjects but take a look at specific courses for more detail.

I decided my A levels by taking into account three things:
- If I enjoyed the subject
- If I was good at the subject
- If the subject was well-recognised by universities.

By choosing Biology you have already chosen a well recognised "facilitating" subject and Psychology, though not facilitating, pairs nicely with this too. Your last A level could be anything really. If you like humanities consider Geography, History or even Philosophy. Modern Languages look very impressive on university applications but are very difficult A levels. Maybe consider a creative subject like Drama or Art but be aware that the course work is heavy.

The most important thing to recognise is that you'll be doing this subject everyday for the next two years so choose something that won't make you want to tear your hair out!

Hope this helped
Reply 8
Original post by LegsEleven17
Hi there! I was really stuck when I was choosing my A levels. The main thing you need to decide is whether you intend to study a STEM (science, technology, engineering or maths) course at university. Those are mostly the only subjects which require you to have studied up to 3 science subjects but take a look at specific courses for more detail.

I decided my A levels by taking into account three things:
- If I enjoyed the subject
- If I was good at the subject
- If the subject was well-recognised by universities.

By choosing Biology you have already chosen a well recognised "facilitating" subject and Psychology, though not facilitating, pairs nicely with this too. Your last A level could be anything really. If you like humanities consider Geography, History or even Philosophy. Modern Languages look very impressive on university applications but are very difficult A levels. Maybe consider a creative subject like Drama or Art but be aware that the course work is heavy.

The most important thing to recognise is that you'll be doing this subject everyday for the next two years so choose something that won't make you want to tear your hair out!

Hope this helped

Thank you this is really helpful !!

Quick Reply

Latest