The Student Room Group

University capping my grades at 40%

Hi, i have a disability and recent changes have made it so that i needed to apply for special circumstances so i could have a bit longer to finish coursework to make up for the time i had off to recover.

So basically after alot of hassle and filling out many forms i was granted special circumstances for all the work i still has to give in (as far as i was aware)

Results for the year came out last week and as i had a message saying i had grades i checked to see if the work i already handed in had grades. And then for some of the modules that as far as i knew i had special circumstances for they now said i was a non submitter and that i could resit.

I have spoke now to the uni about it as the work is nearly ready for me to submit for my new deadline and all i was basically told was that i filled out the form wrong and that they will cap my grades at 40% even though it was originally going to be marked as if it was on time because of the special circumstances. This will be devastating for my final grade. They said that they cant do anything as its someone not with the uni who deals with it and have been told to just get on with it.

Im obviously increadibly upset and so are my parents for me because i have honestly spent so long on these projects aiming for a first when now they wont get more than 40.

Just looking for any advice really.

Its just that i was told that loads of people have to check the special circumstances which is why its a long process, but not one of them noticed that i had accidentally filled out the form wrong (the form was many many pages long)
Original post by Silverquill
Hi, i have a disability and recent changes have made it so that i needed to apply for special circumstances so i could have a bit longer to finish coursework to make up for the time i had off to recover.

So basically after alot of hassle and filling out many forms i was granted special circumstances for all the work i still has to give in (as far as i was aware)

Results for the year came out last week and as i had a message saying i had grades i checked to see if the work i already handed in had grades. And then for some of the modules that as far as i knew i had special circumstances for they now said i was a non submitter and that i could resit.

I have spoke now to the uni about it as the work is nearly ready for me to submit for my new deadline and all i was basically told was that i filled out the form wrong and that they will cap my grades at 40% even though it was originally going to be marked as if it was on time because of the special circumstances. This will be devastating for my final grade. They said that they cant do anything as its someone not with the uni who deals with it and have been told to just get on with it.

Im obviously increadibly upset and so are my parents for me because i have honestly spent so long on these projects aiming for a first when now they wont get more than 40.

Its just that i was told that loads of people have to check the special circumstances which is why its a long process, but not one of them noticed that i had accidentally filled out the form wrong (the form was many many pages long)

I would suggest you contact disability services at your university. Have you got emails to prove you were given extensions? If you didn’t fill the form out correctly then I would contact your SU and see if their services can talk to the university for you.
Original post by IonaBubble
I would suggest you contact disability services at your university. Have you got emails to prove you were given extensions? If you didn’t fill the form out correctly then I would contact your SU and see if their services can talk to the university for you.

Thanks for that :smile: yeah im sure that i still have the emails so ill look through them and find the one with the outcome. And ill give the university a call tomorrow to see if theres anyone there who might be able to help. Its just all so frustrating. Especially that if i hadnt logged on and saw that they did actually give me a result now and not when my special circumstances deadline is I wouldn’t have even known about it!

I feel for you. These forms are not easy to complete. I think you should appeal to the university and ensure its investigated. If the university has not followed due process you may be given the benefit of the doubt. Thus, did they send you the wrong form or did you download the incorrect form? In their process steps did they commit to checking the form for errors. If not then the fault lies with you. No university wants to treat students unfairly but all are bound by the policies of the university.
Thanks for that :smile: yeah im sure that i still have the emails so ill look through them and find the one with the outcome. And ill give the university a call tomorrow to see if theres anyone there who might be able to help. Its just all so frustrating. Especially that if i hadnt logged on and saw that they did actually give me a result now and not when my special circumstances deadline is I wouldn’t have even known about it!

I'd actually advise doing everything via email- as much as you can anyway. You may need to create a paper trail. If you do speak to people via the phone, then send an email afterwards confirming what was discussed.

I agree that disability services should be your first port of call. You could also try contacting the disability/equality officer at your SU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending