The Student Room Group

Uni Freshers Week Fears

I'm going to Uni in September, but i am really worried about the freshers week as i am not an out going person at all, and was wondering if anyone had any advise.
Lucky for you COVID-19 still exists, I’m at uni atm and I highly doubt freshers will run like previous years, a lot of unis have said that first term lectures will be online so I wouldn’t be surprised if freshers was gone online in some way
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to Uni in September, but i am really worried about the freshers week as i am not an out going person at all, and was wondering if anyone had any advise.

You’ll be fine. They put on day & night activities, and stuff to make everyone feel included.

The thing to do is just sign up & do stuff, it can be a very fast paced week so don’t wait till Thursday to do something give it a go right away.

Also the saying everyone is in the same boat is so true. Just try & say: hello and yes as much as possible.
Original post by Anonymous

Hey,

It can be intimidating at the thought of meeting so many people. It definitely shocked me the first time. But saying that I think because everyone is in the same boat everyone is really keen to make friends. I would suggest trying to make an effort to strike up conversations with your flatmates first as these will be the people who you're living with! I would also recommend maybe going with a couple of flatmates to some taster events for some societies as this can be a great way to meet people. Freshers comes and goes soooo quickly so definitely try and make the most of it!

Hope this reassures you a little and feel free to message back if you have any other questions.
From,

Amina - Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by UniofReading
Hey,

It can be intimidating at the thought of meeting so many people. It definitely shocked me the first time. But saying that I think because everyone is in the same boat everyone is really keen to make friends. I would suggest trying to make an effort to strike up conversations with your flatmates first as these will be the people who you're living with! I would also recommend maybe going with a couple of flatmates to some taster events for some societies as this can be a great way to meet people. Freshers comes and goes soooo quickly so definitely try and make the most of it!

Hope this reassures you a little and feel free to message back if you have any other questions.
From,

Amina - Student Ambassador

thank you that does really help, i just need to fight my anxiety with this one i think lol
Loads of people feel the same way, or worse. As long as you take part you're fine. Just don't do what I did and sit in your room the whole time lol. The (brief) discomfort you'll feel by going is definitely worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest