The Student Room Group

I do agree with Black Lives matter, does that make me racist?

I agree with most of the values but also agree that the movement have been hijacked (wait for it)
by the media who have distorted the original message
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Surely if you DO agree then you are far from racist?
Original post by chloenix
Surely if you DO agree then you are far from racist?

Apparently, BLM is a racist, anti-white movement that discriminates against anyone who doesn’t share their views and want to push black supremacy.
This is what I heard from others
I don't even know anymore
Original post by rxyaltyx
I don't even know anymore

That’s what this thread is pointing out.
No, just like someone who supports "All lives matter" isn't racist.

Although if you're one of those "No life matters until black lives matter" idiots, then yes, you're racist.
This is all them, the media didn't post it.
Reply 7
Original post by TheStarboy
I agree with most of the values but also agree that the movement have been hijacked (wait for it)
by the media who have distorted the original message

I don't know, their self published list of policies are quite clear in what they want. It being somewhat broader than just equality now.
Reply 8
Original post by --Student
No, just like someone who supports "All lives matter" isn't racist.

Although if you're one of those "No life matters until black lives matter" idiots, then yes, you're racist.

I think it makes more sense to say “all lives don’t matter until black lives matter” which isn’t racist, it’s true. I’ve never actually seen anyone say no lives matter until black lives matter
Reply 9
So you agree with the basic thoughts that everyone should be equal? Or do you agree with BLM on more than that?

BLM has been twisted into something else. Its not just about the problem with racism in America against black people anymore. It has become a political group using their platform for some questionable things. Quite clever actually- Anyone who doesnt agree is labeled as racist, since of course, BLM stands for 'only' black lives matter.
Not a fan of what its become, although I too agree with the fundamental parts of BLM. I doubt that makes the two of us racist ( unless of course your talking about something else? your OP was a tad vague :redface: ).
Apparently, BLM is a racist, anti-white movement that discriminates against anyone who doesn’t share their views and want to push black supremacy.
This is what I heard from others

Sis what? Lol that’s what the media wants you to think this isn’t true. There’s no such thing as ‘black supremacy’. Pls those ppl are probably just haters of the movement and trying to dissuade u. It’s not racist to support black lives matter because it’s not discriminating against anyone? Just bringing attention to a dire situation. The black lives matter movement is more than just the parent organisation or a political group the media is pushing, it’s also about the people and what *you* believe in. As a black person I simply just want everyone’s life to matter in the movement, all the other stuff is just extras. You can easily believe in that and be fine.

Btw don’t listen to pseudo liberal media.
Reply 11
Original post by nathan_nacu
Sis what? Lol that’s what the media wants you to think this isn’t true. There’s no such thing as ‘black supremacy’. Pls those ppl are probably just haters of the movement and trying to dissuade u. It’s not racist to support black lives matter because it’s not discriminating against anyone? Just bringing attention to a dire situation. The black lives matter movement is more than just the parent organisation or a political group the media is pushing, it’s also about the people and what *you* believe in. As a black person I simply just want everyone’s life to matter in the movement, all the other stuff is just extras. You can easily believe in that and be fine.

Btw don’t listen to pseudo liberal media.

Err yes there is... even MLK spoke of it. Nevermind the SPLC of all people note it repeatedly.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nathan_nacu
There’s no such thing as ‘black supremacy’.

I guess the Israelite Church of God in Christ, Israelite School of Universal Practical Knowledge or Nation of Yahweh don't exist then.

You can find videos of them on Youtube.
Original post by DiddyDec
This is all them, the media didn't post it.

That’s not really controversial except for the Zionism part.
I agree that Israel is getting too close to outright advocating Apartheid but it’s more of the problem with the government.
They do have their fair share of controversial leaders
Original post by Napp
I don't know, their self published list of policies are quite clear in what they want. It being somewhat broader than just equality now.

Original post by LovelyMrFox
So you agree with the basic thoughts that everyone should be equal? Or do you agree with BLM on more than that?

BLM has been twisted into something else. Its not just about the problem with racism in America against black people anymore. It has become a political group using their platform for some questionable things. Quite clever actually- Anyone who doesnt agree is labeled as racist, since of course, BLM stands for 'only' black lives matter.
Not a fan of what its become, although I too agree with the fundamental parts of BLM. I doubt that makes the two of us racist ( unless of course your talking about something else? your OP was a tad vague :redface: ).

I’ll reply to both of these since they are similar.
BLM is originally a left wing movement at spreading awareness and fighting injustice.
They recognise racism as a major injustice in society today.
This white privilege or white fragility are somewhat true but the problem is much larger and isn’t race based (well, as you think)
Being anti capitalist is a major part of the movement that is largely overlooked.
They see capitalism as the sole reason of why society is so divided today, they contribute their stance to MLK, who was painted as a peaceful guy when actually, he hated capitalism and was inspired by Marxism and very much a leftist.
To answer your questions: BLM isn’t technically only for Blake people. They believe that their left wing stance not only assures a better future for them but for everyone including white people.
People who don’t support them aren’t racist however why they don’t could be related to how their message has been distorted.
That’s not really controversial except for the Zionism part.
I agree that Israel is getting too close to outright advocating Apartheid but it’s more of the problem with the government.
They do have their fair share of controversial leaders

The most egregious part of that statement is the anti semitic trope about politicians are being "gagged" which is not even remotely true.

BLM UK are becoming another anti semitic left wing organisation, we have enough of those already.
The most egregious part of that statement is the anti semitic trope about politicians are being "gagged" which is not even remotely true.

BLM UK are becoming another anti semitic left wing organisation, we have enough of those already.

I seriously doubt that BLMUK was being deliberately anti Semitic.
They probably was mentioning how no politicians were criticising Netanyahu’s actions.
Considering recent controversy surrounding Netanyahu and recent protests calling for his resignation, they may not be alone.

It's something ingrained in the left.
Original post by Just my opinion
It's something ingrained in the left.

The Right is much worse than the Left on this.
I seriously doubt that BLMUK was being deliberately anti Semitic.
They probably was mentioning how no politicians were criticising Netanyahu’s actions.
Considering recent controversy surrounding Netanyahu and recent protests calling for his resignation, they may not be alone.

They haven't apologised nor deleted the tweet so that would lead me to believe it is very deliberate, as far as I am concerned they are anti semitic. In fact they doubled down on the tweet posting more tweets about the matter.

They are anti Semites masquerading as anti racists.
Reply 19
BLM is originally a left wing movement at spreading awareness and fighting injustice.
They recognise racism as a major injustice in society today.
This white privilege or white fragility are somewhat true but the problem is much larger and isn’t race based (well, as you think)
Being anti capitalist is a major part of the movement that is largely overlooked.
They see capitalism as the sole reason of why society is so divided today, they contribute their stance to MLK, who was painted as a peaceful guy when actually, he hated capitalism and was inspired by Marxism and very much a leftist.
To answer your questions: BLM isn’t technically only for Blake people. They believe that their left wing stance not only assures a better future for them but for everyone including white people.
People who don’t support them aren’t racist however why they don’t could be related to how their message has been distorted.

Yes to the first 4. Those are all correct.
At your 6th point, thats where it somewhat started to twist. At the start, BLM was only about the police injustices towards BAME citizens in America, and it started to turn away from what it was originally about at that point. While yes, I agree with that part, some people started to think twice ( depending on political views ). Bit awkwardly worded, sorry, but I hope you have an idea of what Im trying to say?
I support BLM to an extent. I dont like how it has twisted, I wasnt a fan of the riots at the beginning, and I think that the protesting without facemasks during this time is irresponsible. I also think they started targeting minor things ( ie syrup and cereal brands ) that, in my eyes, dont matter much in the grand scheme of things. The basic idea though? Yes, I support the fact that everyone should be equal, and the discrimination that goes on in the US -and all over the world- is horrific. Not exactly sure how that makes me or anyone with a similar thought process racist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending