The Student Room Group

Is not dating trans people transphobic?

Scroll to see replies

No its a personal preference. Just like not liking asian men as partners isnt racist.
Reply 21
I wouldnt consider it transphobic, no.
Reply 22
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Some enlightenment for our close minded users:

Spoiler

the vid has 6k likes and 129k dislikes

/nuff said
It is usually quite clear which sex a person was born. Unless of course the individual transitioned before puberty. So in most cases the resemblance isn't "close enough" for people who want a particular sex. Some may just be fundamentally opposed to dating a trans person and this isn't transphobic in my opinion. In this domain people are entitled to like what they like and if your ethnicity, gender, weight or height is a dealbreaker all you can do is move on.
(edited 3 years ago)
it’s not transphobic to have a preference and choose not to date trans people.

what IS transphobic is referring to trans men as ‘technically’ women and trans women as men. some people in this thread need to check themselves, you have the right to choose not to date trans people but the least you could do is respect them and their identity.
Reply 25
Original post by ChrisW99
It is usually quite clear which sex a person was born. Unless of course the individual transitioned before puberty. So in most cases the resemblance isn't "close enough" for people who want a particular sex. Some may just be fundamentally opposed to dating a trans person and this isn't transphobic in my opinion. In this domain people are entitled to like what they like and if your ethnicity, gender, weight or height is a dealbreaker all you can do is move on.

surgeons are doing a much better job these days

literally twice in the past week i was fooled, with only the voice giving it away.
Original post by tacobeth

what IS transphobic is referring to trans men as ‘technically’ women and trans women as men. some people in this thread need to check themselves, you have the right to choose not to date trans people but the least you could do is respect them and their identity.

But one can accept they want to present as opposite sex and acknowledge that in terms of using preferred name and pronouns but still consider that they were born the other sex and that sex does not change.

Most trans women do not have any surgery so they have all their male parts so they are still men.
I am asexual, I don't like sex, I don't want sex. If I was to have a romantic relationship with someone, it wouldn't matter to me if their genatiles function 'normally' or not.

However, putting it bluntly, I could imagine for someone who is sexual, reconstructed genatiles might not make cut.
Reply 28
Original post by ANM775
the vid has 6k likes and 129k dislikes

/nuff said

Gotta love one of the comments on that video; 'By this logic, being gay is sexist'.. what an odd video :lol:
Reply 29
Original post by babyshark
I’ve seen this debate on TikTok and I’m just really confused.

If I met someone who I connected with who was trans then yes I would date them.

I respect trans people and will always accept them as whatever they identify as but I disagree that not dating a trans person makes you transphobic.

I have a friend who is trans and she says that it’s not transphobic.

What do you think? :smile:

no. i'm gay so i'm simply not sexually attracted to people with female body parts. that doesn't make me transphobic.
Reply 30
Original post by Ciel.
no. i'm gay so i'm simply not sexually attracted to people with female body parts. that doesn't make me transphobic.

Totally agree :smile:

I respect trans people and will always accept them as whatever they identify as but I disagree that not dating a trans person makes you transphobic.

It isnt end of.
No, it's not transphobic.
Reply 33
Original post by Napp
Gotta love one of the comments on that video; 'By this logic, being gay is sexist'.. what an odd video :lol:

I think the transperson in the video was angry at how people kept rejecting them over gender [i've seen a few more of that persons vids] so decided to try and guilt people into dating trans people by calling them transphobic
Of course not don't be ridiculous.

If you are trans, you have to accept that your potential dating pool becomes extremely limited. They may not like it, but its a fact.
Reply 35
Original post by tacobeth

I do respect them and use their correct pronouns. I’m totally supportive of them. The only thing I’m saying is that choosing not to date a trans person isn’t transphobic :smile:
Original post by LovelyMrFox
I wouldnt consider it transphobic, no.

the real question is? can a fox have a sex change?

It is not.
Reply 38
Original post by HazelPoHOPE
the real question is? can a fox have a sex change?

Ignorant, off topic question.

I don’t think it’s transphobic lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending