Note Taking at University

Watch this thread
pppopcorn
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am about to start a very maths focused degree in September and I already have a fairly powerful laptop but it's quite heavy and lasts about 2 hours with no charger in. Because I will be doing mainly maths notes I wont be able to type my notes on my laptop but I also hate having to sort through loads of paper notes because I have to write loads. I like the look of the Samsung tab s6 lite because I can get it for under 300 with student discount/ipad 10.2 inch but do people advise having all digital notes? and are tablets popular or will I be a bit of an odd one out
Thanks
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pppopcorn)
I am about to start a very maths focused degree in September and I already have a fairly powerful laptop but it's quite heavy and lasts about 2 hours with no charger in. Because I will be doing mainly maths notes I wont be able to type my notes on my laptop but I also hate having to sort through loads of paper notes because I have to write loads. I like the look of the Samsung tab s6 lite because I can get it for under 300 with student discount/ipad 10.2 inch but do people advise having all digital notes? and are tablets popular or will I be a bit of an odd one out
Thanks
Hi pppopcorn

At uni, it really becomes your own preference. Personally I like to keep digital notes because I am able to copy and paste diagrams etc from the lecture slides. Lots of people nowadays are using tablets as well because they're great to hand-draw your notes. You definitely won't be the odd one out! One of my friends is a maths student and they use an iPad and find it helps. Ultimately it's completely up to you! 😊

Hope this helps!
From,

Amina - Student Ambassador
Galdiowolf
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I prefer paper copies because you can annotate on the paper and I learn more than digital ones - it's easier to miss a detail out on Digital. Also you can highlight on paper.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks
You'll be at home for most of all lectures in first semester anyways. I would wait till lectures normalise and then see what you need. No seminar (all that's gonna happen)... Tend to ever go more than an hour and a half.
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 1 year ago
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
If you’re going for a Samsung tab s6 they have an app that you take notes on with the pen/stylus so you take handwritten notes but they’re saved as files, cuts out the paperwork.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks
Hey pppopcorn!

I studied a humanities subject and would vary between typing up notes and using my iPad to take them digitally. I think digital notes are great, especially for your course from what you are describing. It's so handy to have everything in one place, instead of, as you mention, trying to search around for something. Tablets are definitely becoming more popular and I don't think you will be the odd one out at all. Plus if anything people will just be intrigued. I know before I got my iPad and pencil I was also super curious and would have a look at others using them in pure curiosity.

I would recommend always having some pens and a notebook or something on you just in case. I've been in situations where I have only had my iPad and needed to borrow paper and a pen when doing some things.

Courtney -- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads