jazzyc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I know there is nothing I can do until I get my grades in August, but what happens if I see my firm in clearing - is that a good sign that they have not filled the course? Also in clearing is it the same grades required for example I have applied for Business Management and they required AAB at UOB is it likely to be lower in clearing?
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jazzyc)
I know there is nothing I can do until I get my grades in August, but what happens if I see my firm in clearing - is that a good sign that they have not filled the course? Also in clearing is it the same grades required for example I have applied for Business Management and they required AAB at UOB is it likely to be lower in clearing?
If UOB is your firm choice and you don't get the grades and they reject you, its no use applying to them via clearing for the same programme. Don't give up hope, with international applications down this year, you may still get in if you are one or even two grades adrift.
zizaabmissan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
might be a dumb question, but how do you apply through clearing?
jazzyc
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
If UOB is your firm choice and you don't get the grades and they reject you, its no use applying to them via clearing for the same programme. Don't give up hope, with international applications down this year, you may still get in if you are one or even two grades adrift.
Sorry maybe Is not clear in my question, if the course goes into clearing will it be the same grade requirements or do they offer lower, am really hoping I get accepted it's my dream uni
jazzyc
Rep:
?
(Original post by zizaabmissan)
might be a dumb question, but how do you apply through clearing?
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/r.../what-clearing
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's usually a good sign they haven't filled the course, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have lots of spaces, and they might have a history of picking up good applicants via clearing.

UoB could be one of a couple of unis, so you'll have to specify which one you mean!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If a university is advertising a course in clearing it clearly expects not to fill all its places. How many we dont know and universities dont know until results day. Whether they drop grades in clearing will depend on the numbers however they are likely to accept someone who has firmed and got the grades they require in clearing before opening up. that way they have guaranteed applicants rather than taking the risky route. What does UOB mean as it could be many things Bristol, Bradford, Birmingham etc.
Bckbnkvbjgg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you think you will get?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They may accept lower grades in Clearing and this lower grade acceptance will automatically be applied to their current applicants first. So if you get ABB for example, and they are offering ABB spaces in Clearing they will automatically accept you with ABB without you having to go into Clearing
jazzyc
Rep:
?
Sorry, University of Birmingham

(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It's usually a good sign they haven't filled the course, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have lots of spaces, and they might have a history of picking up good applicants via clearing.

UoB could be one of a couple of unis, so you'll have to specify which one you mean!
jazzyc
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
If a university is advertising a course in clearing it clearly expects not to fill all its places. How many we dont know and universities dont know until results day. Whether they drop grades in clearing will depend on the numbers however they are likely to accept someone who has firmed and got the grades they require in clearing before opening up. that way they have guaranteed applicants rather than taking the risky route. What does UOB mean as it could be many things Bristol, Bradford, Birmingham etc.
sorry, university of Birmingham
jazzyc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bckbnkvbjgg)
What do you think you will get?
i have no idea could be ABB, BBB or worst case BBC
jazzyc
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
They may accept lower grades in Clearing and this lower grade acceptance will automatically be applied to their current applicants first. So if you get ABB for example, and they are offering ABB spaces in Clearing they will automatically accept you with ABB without you having to go into Clearing
Thank you, that is kind of what i was asking of they did lower in clearing then the same grade would be applied to those already firmed
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i have no idea could be ABB, BBB or worst case BBC
I dont think anyone can really know what universities will accept this year and that is even more so with Birmingham who have previously been using unconditional offers. Aa a pretty general rule a 2 grade drop is accepted but some universities will accept more and others less.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry, University of Birmingham
No worries.

It's really hard to say this year for lots of reasons- it could be the same grades required, or they may drop a grade or two lower. You can try asking on university of birmingham to see what's happened in previous years- if they haven't dropped in the last 2/3 clearing cycles, it's very unlikely they will go lower this year.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry maybe Is not clear in my question, if the course goes into clearing will it be the same grade requirements or do they offer lower, am really hoping I get accepted it's my dream uni
Typically the recruitment team will try to fill any spaces with people who have chosen to come to the uni. Thus, if they made you an offer and you are out by one or two points - say ABB - they will look at your application very favourably. However, if they decide they do not want to compromise on their AAB standard then they will go into clearing and look for students with the requisite grades. But think about this - how many students will be floating around clearing with AAB or better and not already have a place at uni?
OptiWeight
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
No worries. It's really hard to say this year for lots of reasons- it could be the same grades required, or they may drop a grade or two lower. You can try asking on university of birmingham to see what's happened in previous years- if they haven't dropped in the last 2/3 clearing cycles, it's very unlikely they will go lower this year.
Can you please give me the email of the admission team at University of Birmingham i can't find it . Also would i be able to get an contexular offer or the A2B sheme at this point? because i went to a school/college which was in a deprived area, so is where i live. Thank you
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OptiWeight)
Can you please give me the email of the admission team at University of Birmingham i can't find it . Also would i be able to get an contexular offer or the A2B sheme at this point? because i went to a school/college which was in a deprived area, so is where i live. Thank you
Hi

Unfortunately I don't have any specific information about the Univerisity of Birmingham, but University of Birmingham might be able to help.
University of Birmingham
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
(Original post by OptiWeight)
Hello, you can find information about our A2B scheme and find out whether you are eligible using our website here: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/teacher...a2b/index.aspx. If you have any further questions you can email the team here: [email protected]. Hope this helps! Mary
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (63)
41.45%
Take autumn exams (53)
34.87%
Look for a job (3)
1.97%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.63%
Take a year out (20)
13.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise