thm100
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted at LSE and also at University of California, Berkeley for economics. Which one do you think I should join and why?
Advertisement
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thm100)
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted at LSE and also at University of California, Berkeley for economics. Which one do you think I should join and why?
I think a lot depends on what you want to get out of your degree- studying for a degree in the UK and the US will be very different.

In the UK, your degree program will be very focused on your subject from the start, with no "gen ed" type requirements etc. In the US, in general, most degrees will give you a broader education, but you'll spend less time focused on your education.

It also depends on where you'd prefer to live for the next 3/4 years- careerwise, being in London is likely to be very helpful in terms of networking.

Where do you hope to live and work once you've finished your degree?
thm100
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I think a lot depends on what you want to get out of your degree- studying for a degree in the UK and the US will be very different.

In the UK, your degree program will be very focused on your subject from the start, with no "gen ed" type requirements etc. In the US, in general, most degrees will give you a broader education, but you'll spend less time focused on your education.

It also depends on where you'd prefer to live for the next 3/4 years- careerwise, being in London is likely to be very helpful in terms of networking.

Where do you hope to live and work once you've finished your degree?
Thank you so much. I want to work in public policy, so I am not sure which area would be better for this specific profession. What do you think?
Advertisement
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much. I want to work in public policy, so I am not sure which area would be better for this specific profession. What do you think?
Public policy isn't an area I know a lot about, but I imagine it would be quite country specific- so I'd choose the country I wanted to work in. If you want to work in another country again, I'd probably choose the one that's closer to yours politically?
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

Wow, what a position to be in. Well, if you are UK citizen then the UCB route will cost you $59k tuition fees a year plus living expenses whilst the LSE route will cost £9k tuition fees plus living expenses. If you are a US citizen then the cost of studying at UCB is the same but the cost of studying at LSE jumps to £20k a year tuition fees.

Overall, LSE will be the cheaper route but if money was no object then I would go to UCB - a great campus in California and a highly rated uni.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.67%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.02%
Look for a job (19)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.05%
Take a year out (96)
17.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise