Should I retake my GCSEs to get all A*s, if I currently have a mix of As and A*s?

Watch
_shehryar_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I wanted advice on whether I should retake my GCSE exams to get straight A*s if my current result consists of a mixture of A*s & As.
I'm aiming to apply for top-tier unis, maybe Oxbridge, (but obviously that's a best-case scenario), but even just regular good unis and wondered, since I don't have straight A*s and only have a mixture of As & A*s, perhaps that dims my chances of getting in.
Retaking would mean diverting slightly from A-Levels, but if it's worth it, I'll do it. Just need to know, would unis prefer me to have all A*s even if it means retaking 2-3 subjects, or should I accept the current result and focus now on A-Levels.
Last edited by _shehryar_; 1 month ago
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _shehryar_)
Hi.I wanted advice on whether I should retake my GCSE exams to get straight A*s if my current result consists of a mixture of A*s
No, it's unlikely to be worth it, as anything in the future where you would need more A*s would probably not been keen on resits.
__B__
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What course are you thinking of doing?
cloud_9_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what makes you want to retake it
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Absolutely not. Concentrate on what comes next.
_shehryar_
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
No, it's unlikely to be worth it, as anything in the future where you would need more A*s would probably not been keen on resits.
Thanks for the reply. Was only concerned if I were to apply for Oxbridge or some similar tier uni, perhaps it would be better to retake and get all A*s than the current result.
_shehryar_
Rep:
?
(Original post by cloud_9_)
what makes you want to retake it
Just a feeling that a mixture of As & A*S would be less preferable to top-tier unis than all A*s. The downside of that of course is that it would mean diverting some attention from A-Levels, but if the benefits of retaking outweigh the negatives, I'd consider it. Thus the need for all the advice
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. I wanted advice on whether I should retake my GCSE exams to get straight A*s if my current result consists of a mixture of A*s & As.
I'm aiming to apply for top-tier unis, maybe Oxbridge, (but obviously that's a best-case scenario), but even just regular good unis and wondered, since I don't have straight A*s and only have a mixture of As & A*s, perhaps that dims my chances of getting in.
Retaking would mean diverting slightly from A-Levels, but if it's worth it, I'll do it. Just need to know, would unis prefer me to have all A*s even if it means retaking 2-3 subjects, or should I accept the current result and focus now on A-Levels.
No, it's a complete waste of time. I can't possibly understand what would make you think that such an idea even could be sensible.

You don't need 'straight 9s' to be able to get into a decent university - even Oxbridge. Where did you get the idea that you did?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply. Was only concerned if I were to apply for Oxbridge or some similar tier uni, perhaps it would be better to retake and get all A*s than the current result.
Oxbridge don't like resits anyway
sam3439
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Note that if you are currently in year 11 and will get calculated grades and you get a mixture of As and A*s, and then want to take the autumn exams, Universities WILL accept the autumn improved grade and will not consider it as a resit. The admissions officer for I think Birmingham uni said that, but do make sure**
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
No, it's a complete waste of time. I can't possibly understand what would make you think that such an idea even could be sensible.

You don't need 'straight 9s' to be able to get into a decent university - even Oxbridge. Where did you get the idea that you did?
Probably TSR or School. I see plenty of students here thinking that they need all 7-9's (all A-A**) in order to succeed in in life or people moan about the fact that they didn't get all A*'s for their A-levels/GCSEs. I've seen Y11s on here say things like "damn you other Y11s are so smart all of you have grades 7-9's and I am sitting here with grades 4-6/7's lol". It's so annoying. I know different people have different expectations but still I find it ridiculous that people are worrying over such things.
flamingolover
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
its unlikely that it will help. When did you take your GCSE’s? Just asking cause I’m england they are the numbers now 🤣
_shehryar_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)

Thanks for the insight. The idea, like 1st Superstar stated, comes mostly from both school & online research. Did a bit of searching on Quora, some here on TSR & a lot of asking about, and it just seemed to me that straight A*s would be much more preferable to a mixture of A*s and As. But from the response to this thread, seems not.

(Original post by flamingolover)
its unlikely that it will help. When did you take your GCSE’s? Just asking cause I’m england they are the numbers now 🤣
This summer actually. I stated A*s & As bcs obviously, they're predicted grades & I'm just working on a rough idea, so didn't wanna be too specific.

(Original post by sam3439)
Note that if you are currently in year 11 and will get calculated grades and you get a mixture of As and A*s, and then want to take the autumn exams, Universities WILL accept the autumn improved grade and will not consider it as a resit. The admissions officer for I think Birmingham uni said that, but do make sure**
Thanks for the info. Yep, I'm gonna be getting predicted grades so this info is really useful. I'll search it up, didn't know this. Can anyone back this up for all unis?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the insight. The idea, like 1st Superstar stated, comes mostly from both school & online research. Did a bit of searching on Quora, some here on TSR & a lot of asking about, and it just seemed to me that straight A*s would be much more preferable to a mixture of A*s and As. But from the response to this thread, seems not.
It's good then that this thread has put it into some perspective. GCSEs aren't really even particularly important for university admission! There is certainly no requirement for A*/9 grades, and it would be a complete waste of time 'retaking' them. I also doubt that the school would be willing to waste the money in making examination entries in order for you to do so, so you'd probably have to do it privately anyway.

(Original post by 1st superstar)
Probably TSR or School. I see plenty of students here thinking that they need all 7-9's (all A-A**) in order to succeed in in life or people moan about the fact that they didn't get all A*'s for their A-levels/GCSEs. I've seen Y11s on here say things like "damn you other Y11s are so smart all of you have grades 7-9's and I am sitting here with grades 4-6/7's lol". It's so annoying. I know different people have different expectations but still I find it ridiculous that people are worrying over such things.
Yes, I think you're right. Completely bizarre!
sam3439
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

This summer actually. I stated A*s & As bcs obviously, they're predicted grades & I'm just working on a rough idea, so didn't wanna be too specific.

Thanks for the info. Yep, I'm gonna be getting predicted grades so this info is really useful. I'll search it up, didn't know this. Can anyone back this up for all unis?
Can i ask what subjects you're doing for GCSE? And are you aiming for medicine?
Lastly, I'm going to return to volunteering at my local red cross tomorrow. Do you think most shop staff are wearing masks?
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry I really couldn't help but just laugh at your title alone LOL.
Serious answer, no it's a massive waste of time and money too (I doubt your school would want to pay for your exams when you already smashed them)
_shehryar_
Rep:
?
(Original post by The RAR)
Sorry I really couldn't help but just laugh at your title alone LOL.
Serious answer, no it's a massive waste of time and money too (I doubt your school would want to pay for your exams when you already smashed them)
Yep, a retake would have to be arranged by myself privately. Thanks for the advice though.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just a feeling that a mixture of As & A*S would be less preferable to top-tier unis than all A*s. The downside of that of course is that it would mean diverting some attention from A-Levels, but if the benefits of retaking outweigh the negatives, I'd consider it. Thus the need for all the advice
Please don't - universities don't like retakes. You'll have to put your initial results AND your new grades on UCAS so it is pointless. Focus on your A levels
female_L
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSEs don't mean ****. Do A-levels, take a gap year if needed.
female_L
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For Oxbridge, even those with 14 x 9s get rejected. A levels mean a lot more. They take A-level grades way more seriously than predicted ones. Do extracurriculars too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors are most important to you when considering a university in Clearing?

How well the uni/course ranks (6)
17.65%
Location (6)
17.65%
How effective their covid-19 policies are (1)
2.94%
What courses they offer (7)
20.59%
Course content (6)
17.65%
Social life options (4)
11.76%
Accommodation options (3)
8.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.94%

Watched Threads