username5256690
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm taking English Language next year, and because I now have very little to do, I want to introduce myself to the topics before September. I've already read "A Little Book of Language" by David Crystal that I found really interesting, but I was wondering if anyone had any other books to recommend? I'm planning on reading and taking a few notes as I go, so nothing to dense. If it helps I'm going to be studying how language develops from birth to 9 years old, language differences between genders, accents and dialects etc.
Englishteacher24
Badges: 10
Report 1 year ago
There are lots of other books that David Crystal has written that may be relevant:
Some other books:
username5256690
Rep:
?
(Original post by Englishteacher24)
There are lots of other books that David Crystal has written that may be relevant:
Some other books:
Thank you so much
13Charlotte2001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd recommend 'The Myth of Mars and Venus' by Deborah Cameron for the language and gender section. I read it whilst studying for the a level and found it so helpful for extra studies to reference outside of the set course. It made sure my essays were always unique to everyone else's and I think it's a great overview of the varying theories before you start
username5256690
Rep:
?
(Original post by 13Charlotte2001)
I'd recommend 'The Myth of Mars and Venus' by Deborah Cameron for the language and gender section. I read it whilst studying for the a level and found it so helpful for extra studies to reference outside of the set course. It made sure my essays were always unique to everyone else's and I think it's a great overview of the varying theories before you start
Thank you, I'll make sure to check it out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads