How many hours of driving does it take to pass the practical test?

Watch
Raven Firefly
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
How many hours of driving does it take to pass the practical test? I understand that it would be different for each person. Could each person tell me how long it took for them in terms of hours of actual time done driving.
Lshort17
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It took me exactly 4 months from when i first had a lesson to my test. I did lots of driving with my parents which helped massively. I did around 10-16 lessons each at 2 hrs. I did a lesson an 1hr before my test and that was the best advice i could give you! It helped massively as the route i practised i did for the real one. I passed first time with only 4 faults. As you stated it definitely does vary person to person. Im a twin and my sister took 2 months longer than i did and passed 3rd time lucky. I have no idea how many she did. My friend however took 4 weeks to pass!
Last edited by Lshort17; 3 months ago
Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It took me 15 hours to pass, from no experience to passing my test. I started in July and passed in November, So it took me 4 months as well. It varies from person to person, as to how quickly they learn and take on things
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Somewhere in the 60hr range I would guess. I had no private practice at all and had a few more lessons after I failed on the first attempt.
ydacademy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How many lessons you may need can vary considerably between you, your siblings and friends.

There are many factors that contribute to this. DVSA suggest 45 hours of driving lessons and 20 hours private practice. That's a staggering 65 hours!!

Some learners will take fewer lessons, others may need more. As long as you're making progress in your driving lessons, get clear about the topics you've already covered, what's still to cover and other areas that may need developing to better prepare you for the driving test.

Many times not knowing and fully understanding the learner to drive syllabus leaves people in the dark and it's difficult to self evaluate if you're ready for the driving test or not.

hope this helps
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by username02)
How many hours of driving does it take to pass the practical test? I understand that it would be different for each person. Could each person tell me how long it took for them in terms of hours of actual time done driving.
It took me around 26 hours, my instructor said the average was 24. It can vary a lot though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.59%
I'm not sure (46)
4.28%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.74%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.79%
I'm not a current university student (523)
48.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise