why does my driving test keep getting cancelled even though im a key worker?

Watch
catfanny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
TLDR: My practical test has been moved from May to July to now God knows when, because DVSA doesnt want to give me a test and wants to prioritise those who have had their driving tests suspended, even though I'm a key worker (supermarket). Are they right for doing so and should I bother calling them up to ask about it?
---------------------
I booked my test for May in February. It was obviously suspended due to lockdown but I heard key workers could carry on.

So I emailed dvsa for an emergency driving test for key workers, showing them my pay slip as my proof of work at a supermarket. They responded weeks later saying I don't qualify, and I'm guessing its because nhs staff and others were made a priority, which makes sense. But its still confusing as I've seen in a lot of places, supermarket workers were still having driving lessons and tests during lockdown, but I thought nothing of it, and accepted it.

I was then notified in late April that my test would be in July. I've been preparing since June, but I just got an email last week saying my July test would be cancelled because they are "prioritising candidates whose tests had been suspended in recent months". This makes no sense since my test had been suspended, so I should be prioritised instead of having my test suspended. I'm also a key worker, and I literally just saw news about how supermarket workers are still taking lessons and tests so I really have no idea what they're doing.

It's really frustrating me because I was ready for my test in November but my inconsiderate driving instructor took a 2 month holiday and I had to start practising again in late January, and then I was ready to do my test in March, but due to my instructor telling me to wait and then there being no availability, I had to book it for May. Then my driving insturctor said that even though I'm a keyworker, she doesn't want to take me on lessons any more and cancelled me which is fair. And now dvsa keep pushing my test forwards.

I'm almost 21, I'm sick of taking the train to and fro uni. I'm tired of waiting half an hour for my dad to finish work so he can pick me up from my work after I finish my 10 hour shifts at 11pm 3 times a week.

I really need a car for work and it's just annoying me now that first my driving instructor was messing me around and now dvsa are constantly postponing my test.

Btw I don't mean to sound bratty or entitled or anything, but I'm just tired. Having to work 40+ hours a week and being surrounded daily by so many idiots that don't bother social distancing, are thoughtless and dont care about spreading their germs everywhere, and having to wait months on end for a driving test because I apparently don't count as a keyworker just doesnt make sense to me.

Are they right for cancelling my test again? I'm emailing customer services now, but they took over 2 weeks to respond to my emergency test request in March, and so who knows how long they'll take to respond now. I'm thinking about calling them. But would it even make a difference?
Last edited by catfanny; 3 months ago
catfanny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
bump
Arkansas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by catfanny)
TLDR: My practical test has been moved from May to July to now God knows when, because DVSA doesnt want to give me a test and wants to prioritise those who have had their driving tests suspended, even though I'm a key worker (supermarket). Are they right for doing so and should I bother calling them up to ask about it?
---------------------
I booked my test for May in February. It was obviously suspended due to lockdown but I heard key workers could carry on.

So I emailed dvsa for an emergency driving test for key workers, showing them my pay slip as my proof of work at a supermarket. They responded weeks later saying I don't qualify, and I'm guessing its because nhs staff and others were made a priority, which makes sense. But its still confusing as I've seen in a lot of places, supermarket workers were still having driving lessons and tests during lockdown, but I thought nothing of it, and accepted it.

I was then notified in late April that my test would be in July. I've been preparing since June, but I just got an email last week saying my July test would be cancelled because they are "prioritising candidates whose tests had been suspended in recent months". This makes no sense since my test had been suspended, so I should be prioritised instead of having my test suspended. I'm also a key worker, and I literally just saw news about how supermarket workers are still taking lessons and tests so I really have no idea what they're doing.

It's really frustrating me because I was ready for my test in November but my inconsiderate driving instructor took a 2 month holiday and I had to start practising again in late January, and then I was ready to do my test in March, but due to my instructor telling me to wait and then there being no availability, I had to book it for May. Then my driving insturctor said that even though I'm a keyworker, she doesn't want to take me on lessons any more and cancelled me which is fair. And now dvsa keep pushing my test forwards.

I'm almost 21, I'm sick of taking the train to and fro uni. I'm tired of waiting half an hour for my dad to finish work so he can pick me up from my work after I finish my 10 hour shifts at 11pm 3 times a week.

I really need a car for work and it's just annoying me now that first my driving instructor was messing me around and now dvsa are constantly postponing my test.

Btw I don't mean to sound bratty or entitled or anything, but I'm just tired. Having to work 40+ hours a week and being surrounded daily by so many idiots that don't bother social distancing, are thoughtless and dont care about spreading their germs everywhere, and having to wait months on end for a driving test because I apparently don't count as a keyworker just doesnt make sense to me.

Are they right for cancelling my test again? I'm emailing customer services now, but they took over 2 weeks to respond to my emergency test request in March, and so who knows how long they'll take to respond now. I'm thinking about calling them. But would it even make a difference?
Critical workers who had a test booked before the March lockdown, and subsequently applied for a critical test, will be given priority. DVSA will contact you if they offer you one (this will occur before 22nd July). Emergency testing will cease from this date and routine bookings will resume.

Do not contact DVSA. The Customer service email is closed due to the agency undertaking priority work. Information will be released from the 22nd July.

Hope this helps
Aidan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads