Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is somewhat influenced by the recent thread on 'soft A-levels', and I'd like to raise a question about English Language rather than English Lit.

I'm just wondering why English Language generally holds less respect than Literature, and is listed as 'limited suitability' for some (albeit few) universities, as an A-level requirement.

I've heard that at degree level it's also held in less regard than Eng. Lit. I was looking at the course details for my future Eng. Lang degree, and the topics don't look 'soft' at all just in my opinion (I applied to Literature at other unis so I'm aware of some topic lists for this degree too, as a point of comparison). So if someone could explain this to me just to satisfy my curiosity, I'd be grateful. Not really here to have a debate about it, just want opinions really. Thanks in advance. :P

ReputationRep:
    Its probably because of a distinct lack of classic British Literature that every Englishman worth his salt should read.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because it isn't as old or as traditional as English Literature. I personally found English Language harder, so I think it's probably the same old with people generally talking out of their arse.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I used to drive past your school everyday OP, and go to the leisure centre.

ReputationRep:
    I think it'd probably be a point of appeal to tradition, it seems that is what most academic elitism is based around, then again I would be hostile to it for obvious reasons!

ReputationRep:
    yes, compared to eng lit. it is regarded as much easier. my school doesn't even offer it because they think its not worth it and not reputable enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgehunter)
    Oh, I used to drive past your school everyday OP, and go to the leisure centre.
    Haha excellent. Did you notice all the 14 year old chavs smoking along the alleyway near the leisure centre?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just to do with the 'traditional' university subjects - english lit, history, classics etc. whereas english language is not as established yet :-)

ReputationRep:
    When chosing my what to study at sixth form I was torn between English Lit and English Lang but the head of sixth form advised me not to go with English Lang because apparently universities arent too keen on 'new age' courses and prefer more 'traditional' alevels. That may be a reason but I'm not completely sure. I don't understand it myself really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I think it'd probably be a point of appeal to tradition, it seems that is what most academic elitism is based around, then again I would be hostile to it for obvious reasons!
    I like your signature, and can obviously support it as I did Media at A-level. Might just be my biased point of view, of course.

ReputationRep:
    English Language is a traditional A-Level.
    The problem is that the course is just terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    Haha excellent. Did you notice all the 14 year old chavs smoking along the alleyway near the leisure centre?

Oh yeah naturally. I once cycled past to a barrage of water bombs! Too bad they are lousy shots.

I know a guy who went to my school who goes there..not sure how he is doing now as have lost contact...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x. Amy .x)
    I think it's just to do with the 'traditional' university subjects - english lit, history, classics etc. whereas english language is not as established yet :-)
    :ditto: and lit is more demanding (wish someone had told me this before I took it) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    English Language is a traditional A-Level.
    The problem is that the course is just terrible.
    Hmm, do you mean for A-level or university? Looking at the course I'm about to do, it seems quite interesting/engaging, moreso than my A-level English Lit was. I guess it's a matter of preference though.

ReputationRep:
    Compared to lit, yes. Although I really enjoyed English Language, whereas I would have hated Lit. I really don't enjoy dissecting books, I think it ruins them

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, do you mean for A-level or university? Looking at the course I'm about to do, it seems quite interesting/engaging, moreso than my A-level English Lit was. I guess it's a matter of preference though.
    Of course it is, but yeh I mean at A-Level, I imagine that the degree is probably a different story. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    Compared to lit, yes. Although I really enjoyed English Language, whereas I would have hated Lit. I really don't enjoy dissecting books, I think it ruins them
    I enjoyed some parts of Lit, like the group discussions about the different theories on Hamlet, as Shakespeare is something that can be debated on without being ruined. However, yeah I do agree that the dissection of novels does ruin them a bit. I kind of think of The Secret History in disgust as I can only attribute slaving over it trying to get it read in time and analyse it simultaneously, whereas otherwise I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepStar)
    :ditto: and lit is more demanding (wish someone had told me this before I took it) :rolleyes:
    ha yeah same! i duno, my brother does english language at uni and it just doesnt appeal to me at all - i don't want to know the origin of language and the reason an article is funny... :/ lit is just...better :-) (biased opinion as i'm doing it at uni lol)

ReputationRep:
    I think continuing Liguistics to degree level is seriously impressive.

And you need to know all the stuff from Language A-Level to do it..

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed some parts of Lit, like the group discussions about the different theories on Hamlet, as Shakespeare is something that can be debated on without being ruined. However, yeah I do agree that the dissection of novels does ruin them a bit. I kind of think of The Secret History in disgust as I can only attribute slaving over it trying to get it read in time and analyse it simultaneously, whereas otherwise I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
    Yeah, I mean if a combined course was offered I would probably have taken it, but I don't think I could have coped with it as a subject on it's own. I love reading loads, but year 11 English lit totally put me off lol. We wouldn't even read the whole book, just the parts we needed for the coursework. I hate my old school aha.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.