The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

x. Amy .x
ha yeah same! i duno, my brother does english language at uni and it just doesnt appeal to me at all - i don't want to know the origin of language and the reason an article is funny... :/ lit is just...better :-) (biased opinion as i'm doing it at uni lol)

Ahh, learning about the origin of language is one of the main things I'm looking forward to learning :biggrin: However the module that focusses on that at Cardiff goes back to primatology/biology and so on from what I've read, which looks interesting.

I'm not saying English Lit is worse, I really enjoyed it but another three years of it might have killed me :P
Fjarskafinn
I think continuing Liguistics to degree level is seriously impressive. :smile:

And you need to know all the stuff from Language A-Level to do it..

Luckily my uni assumes that you haven't done advanced Eng. Lang before joining the course, so I think they start at the basics (thank goodness).
Reply 22
Lit is far more enjoyable. Arguing context and interpretation over style and language is far more nicer and dare I say easier.
Reply 23
JocastaJackal
Ahh, learning about the origin of language is one of the main things I'm looking forward to learning :biggrin: However the module that focusses on that at Cardiff goes back to primatology/biology and so on from what I've read, which looks interesting.

I'm not saying English Lit is worse, I really enjoyed it but another three years of it might have killed me :P

haha yeah some of it looks interesting, as someone said, i think maybe a combined course would be quite good so you get both aspects of how the language is used in literature and also where it comes from kinda thing :-)
Reply 24
x. Amy .x
ha yeah same! i duno, my brother does english language at uni and it just doesnt appeal to me at all - i don't want to know the origin of language and the reason an article is funny... :/ lit is just...better :-) (biased opinion as i'm doing it at uni lol)

Some of my friends done both and said English Language was straight forward whereas English Literature was more demanding :rolleyes: The only reason I took it was because I like reading, didnt know what I was getting myself into :biggrin: but the grade didnt come out too bad for a subject I didnt give 100% lol
Reply 25
Lit is annoying everything is over analysed. I like lang :smile:
Reply 26
Electric_Dreams
English Language is a traditional A-Level.
The problem is that the course is just terrible.

every single English Language course? Pfft.
Reply 27
It's been offered for a lot less time,both at A level and at Universities, so 'tradition' comes into it, people assuming literature is better just because it's been established for longer. Language is so much more interesting in my opinion, and I found it more challenging than literature a level too.
gLace
every single English Language course? Pfft.

Well they can't differ that much (I'm only talking about A-Level here mind) and I doubt hardly anyone can judge more than one course with experience.
Besides, everyone to their own.
Reply 29
I've done both and I can safely say that I found English Lit a lot easier. I agree that Eng Lang is quite a rubbish syllabus, but it's quite interesting in parts.
thanette
It's been offered for a lot less time,both at A level and at Universities, so 'tradition' comes into it, people assuming literature is better just because it's been established for longer. Language is so much more interesting in my opinion, and I found it more challenging than literature a level too.

I agree that image is a lot to do with the reputation of English Lit, to be honest. In my opinion neither is lesser than the other, really.
Mijdge
I've done both and I can safely say that I found English Lit a lot easier. I agree that Eng Lang is quite a rubbish syllabus, but it's quite interesting in parts.

Did you enjoy Lang more then? I'm just curious as you're applying for it looking at your sig.
Reply 32
Fjarskafinn
I think continuing Liguistics to degree level is seriously impressive. :smile:

And you need to know all the stuff from Language A-Level to do it..

:biggrin: Thanks, that's what I'm applying for. And you don't really, it isn't always a requirement to have done Eng Lang. They generally start with the basics.
Reply 33
JocastaJackal
Did you enjoy Lang more then? I'm just curious as you're applying for it looking at your sig.

I did enjoy Lang more, and found it more interesting, even though English Lit was easier and better taught at my school.
Reply 34
Electric_Dreams
Well they can't differ that much (I'm only talking about A-Level here mind) and I doubt hardly anyone can judge more than one course with experience.
Besides, everyone to their own.

Oh right sorry, I thought you were talking about degree level.
Mijdge
I did enjoy Lang more, and found it more interesting, even though English Lit was easier and better taught at my school.

Ah okay. English Lang wasn't offered in my school simply due to lack of resources, but English Lit was taught quite well in mine. I picked Lang out of curiosity because it looked worthwhile, it sounds like a lot of people enjoy it which is looking promising.
Reply 36
I personally (at A Level this is) found Language to be much harder than Lit...
Reply 37
To me it is a respected subject especially whenever I look n uni websites for top curses like Medicine they require a good grade at GCSE eng lang if not available at A level. For al the top courses eng lang seems to be up there IMO. I think i'd rather like to do lang more than lt simply because I cba with all the Lit and books involved tbh/.
shahrukh24
yes, compared to eng lit. it is regarded as much easier. my school doesn't even offer it because they think its not worth it and not reputable enough.

That's funny heh
Reply 39
N.B. The 'search' tool at the top of the page.

This has been asked a hundred times. :rolleyes:

Latest