Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Hehehe

Looks like someone who doesn't know who they're dealing with...
    Pffftttt.
    You don't scare me.

[Shall we toast our new found rivalry? And perhaps do the macarena?]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd91)
    my rival did that to me to try to intimidate me. i told her about the comment from our chem teahcer and that soon wiped the smirk off her face.
    ahh when i found out that this girl had been saying it about me, i started bad-mouthing her very loudly on the street. a few little old grannies looked shocked, but i didn't get a toss.
    everyone else was just like :lolwut: at her; and at the end of the day, we both got offers.
    ha, good on you!

ReputationRep:

Good idea, but then I'd have to nurture the rivalry by keeping in touch.
    Decided I'm going to go rival hunting tomorrow, I already have Make_it but now I have the hunger, I want more!
    interesting...where's the place that you go to seek out rivals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make_It)
    Pffftttt.
    You don't scare me.

[Shall we toast our new found rivalry? And perhaps do the macarena?]

Good idea: :cheers:

I'm actually genuinely excited to have a rival.

(I'm not sure that we're doing it right though at the minute, if I'm honest. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusx)
    interesting...where's the place that you go to seek out rivals?
    Who knows?

Up until 20 minutes ago I didn't know I could even get any, so it's a bit of a steep learning curve for me.

ReputationRep:
    very true!
    question: are you wanting to rival people who are applying for similar unis to you? or is it just medicine rivals in general?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure she's aware that you are bitter rivals? :p:
    Oh she's very aware that we're bitter rivals. she's just 2 faced and probably only acts nice in front of me as a formality.

there are 4 of us at my school applying for med including me and i don't feel that any of the other 3 really have any idea about applying to med. 2 of them decided to give it a shot 3 weeks before the dealine. do you think that this sort of environment is better compared to places where every other person is applying to med?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd91)
    there are 4 of us at my school applying for med including me and i don't feel that any of the other 3 really have any idea about applying to med. 2 of them decided to give it a shot 3 weeks before the dealine. do you think that this sort of environment is better compared to places where every other person is applying to med?
    there's 4 of us applying from mine as well. it's not super-competitive, and i like it that way; when i hear about people where there's 40 odd applying from one school, it makes me kinda :eek:. yours doesn't sound too bad to me; i'd rather be in your situation than in the other one!

ReputationRep:
    Good idea: :cheers:

I'm actually genuinely excited to have a rival.

(I'm not sure that we're doing it right though at the minute, if I'm honest. )
    Oh

Well, you're going to fail at life.
    And break your big toe.
    At the same time.
    So HA.

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to leave you two to your bitter, undying rivalry.
    night night

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I don't think I could pull Carla off
    Might try it though

And yes please :yep:
    I suggest you don't. I think it would seriously jeopardise your chance of an offer... :p:

Message sent

ReputationRep:
    there's 4 of us applying from mine as well. it's not super-competitive, and i like it that way; when i hear about people where there's 40 odd applying from one school, it makes me kinda :eek:. yours doesn't sound too bad to me; i'd rather be in your situation than in the other one!
    we're all quite relaxed and i suppose it stops me from freaking out about every little detail. sometimes it gets annoying because i just want to have an intellectual chat with someone who actually knows what they're doing but i suppose that's what tsr is for. i don't know what i'd do without this site. in general i do prefer this way because i'm hidden from the other applicants so i don't really see the true competition whereas at other places you know who your up against and how good they all are and it would probably destroy my mental health. i really do worry far too much

ReputationRep:
    Hai guyz, I'm applying to medicine. Please take care of me (Onegaishimush!)

ReputationRep:
    we are also 4. 3 EU and 1 international.
    the international girl doesnt socialize so i dont really know about her status...
    but yeah.
    me and my friend got interviews to nottingham on the same day!!
    whohooo =]] so now all EU applicants have an interview somewhere :]]
    and im pretty much close with both of them so it's more we want all of us to get in somewhere.. not really any competition.
    love this situation more than *****ing and whining and jealousy.
    support > jealousy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd91)
    Oh she's very aware that we're bitter rivals. she's just 2 faced and probably only acts nice in front of me as a formality.

They've both got good points and bad points. There's a feeling of uniqueness when so few are applying for Medicine which works both ways, as you are treated as special by some people but others don't realise just how many hoops you have to jump through.

On the other hand, having loads of people applying generally means you have better resources, experiences to draw on etc. but may mean you all turn crazily competitive and neurotic.

I'm happy with my situation, as me and my friend can help each other without feeling so clique-y (plenty of time for that at Uni :p:), meaning I still have a wide circle of friends with varied interests.

Oh

Well, you're going to fail at life.
    And break your big toe.
    At the same time.
    So HA.
    Hmmph. Not so sure I enjoy this whole rivalry thing. Can we try being friends instead?

ReputationRep:
    Revision!?
    Are you kidding me, it's the last thing on my mind right now
    I've promised myself to start after both of my upcoming interviews.
    I need a stress free day
    I feel so exhausted.
    Jan 25th shall have to be a day of sleep :rolleyes:
    Yeah, I understand. That's why I'm glad I don't have any interviews between now and Christmas, I'm trying to focus on collegework for a bit now!
    Good luck in the interviews, and try not to neglect your revision totally

ReputationRep:
    I actually quite like Jan exams - I always get too hot in the Summer.
    Yup me too - I like them because it means that there's less pressure in the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Not very well...

Can't concentrate on revision, or build up any motivation.

Is it me or is revision completely soul-destroying?
    Nope, you're right. It's completely soul destroying. Especially when there's Christmassy things to do, like ice skating and present shopping and drinking hot chocolate with friends and snuggling up by the fire to watch a nice film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Nope, you're right. It's completely soul destroying. Especially when there's Christmassy things to do, like ice skating and present shopping and drinking hot chocolate with friends and snuggling up by the fire to watch a nice film

You cant say things like that, it will make me want to do them. AHHHHHHHHHHH

Xmas was the best time EVER when i was 5-15 It was all downhill since then.

ReputationRep:
    Christmas is a bit meh these days. The magic is gone. There's never snow on christmas eve/day either.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.