Turn on thread page Beta

The UCAS 'chat' thread for all 2009 hopeful medics... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    To be fair, it isn't that helpful. Not only is it a few years old, but every application cycle is different. Even if the data was for the 2008 cycle, it wouldn't be relevant because the comptetition is going to be different every year.
    I can see why you did it though, good effort trying to help people, but I think statistics like this can often be more harm than good.
    But you're posting links to threads with the scores that people got LAST YEAR to receive an offer from Edinburgh? Where only two people have chosen an option, both with relatively low scores?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, all you need is that one offer. I'm so focused on getting a place at any medical school that seeing league tables and such statistics are irrelevant to me.

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day, there is no bad medical degree if you get me.

If your dream is to be a doctor then you will do it at any uni you can (lol like me) even though you may have preferences for the best and the one that you think will suit you.

I would be happy getting into any place if it was doing medicine! I know im going to be a doctor at the end of the course and I know there is always a place that will employ me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    i did it for the 2008 stats and i found out that i have 9% chance of getting 1 offer let alone more than one offer.
    You must have calculated that wrong! You might have an average of 9% chance at getting into one medical school. Multiply that by four and I think you'll get your actual answer - 36% chance.

But it's not really about chance. If they like you're application, anything could happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    You must have calculated that wrong! You might have an average of 9% chance at getting into one medical school. Multiply that by four and I think you'll get your actual answer - 36% chance.

But it's not really about chance. If they like you're application, anything could happen.
    Exactly. For me there's no point fiddling about with statistics because they either like your application and give you an offer or they don't like you and reject you. This % chance business doesn't make any sense to me. I just know it's going to be hard but different places are looking for different things so you can't really predict your chances anywhere. It only takes one offer though so I just pray I get into somewhere...

ReputationRep:
    All this medical school application business is making me feel ill

I submitted my form last wednesday and I kind of wish I hadn't - although I know that I checked everything a thousand times I;m getting paranid that I entered one of my music grades for the wrong date, and then I'll be called a liar, and stoned to death by UCAS, or something

btw, how do you guys make these spoilers? I want to make one despite the fact that I have nothing to shout about grade-wise.

I am reeeally tempted to make one of those HERE IS MY LIFE STORY DO I HAVE A CHANCE? posts, but I know it will be of little use

&& jjkkll, you're applying to BSMS too? yay, I hope we get in

eek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee_Kid)
    All this medical school application business is making me feel ill

I submitted my form last wednesday and I kind of wish I hadn't - although I know that I checked everything a thousand times I;m getting paranid that I entered one of my music grades for the wrong date, and then I'll be called a liar, and stoned to death by UCAS, or something

btw, how do you guys make these spoilers? I want to make one despite the fact that I have nothing to shout about grade-wise.

I am reeeally tempted to make one of those HERE IS MY LIFE STORY DO I HAVE A CHANCE? posts, but I know it will be of little use

&& jjkkll, you're applying to BSMS too? yay, I hope we get in

eek!
    [spoiler ][/spoiler]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks toiletpaper8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee_Kid)
    jjkkll, you're applying to BSMS too? yay, I hope we get in
    AHEM!

ReputationRep:
    AHEM!
    lol I'm sure she hopes you do aswell

In your sig where it says

1) Leeds
    2) Nottingham
    3) Leicester
    4) BSMS

Is that the order you prefer? I would apply to Nottingham had if I thought I'd have a chance lol

ReputationRep:
    Well no, that's not the order. But Leeds is my first choice!

Apply to places you want to go to! I don't feel I have a great chance there, infact I think it's abysmal. But I want to go there, and I'd regret it if I didn't apply.

ReputationRep:
    Aah sorry Kinkerz - didn't see that you'd chose it too :shy2:

Good luck dearie

Eck, good luck to all actually - I think we all feel like we need a bit!

ReputationRep:
    Well no, that's not the order. But Leeds is my first choice!

Apply to places you want to go to! I don't feel I have a great chance there, infact I think it's abysmal. But I want to go there, and I'd regret it if I didn't apply.
    lol fair enough I am applying to the places I want to go to with some thought to my chances of getting in lol

I'm not applying to Notts because I got a B at GCSE chemistry (although an A a A Level..) but they never replied to my email so I figured if they're gonna ignore my email...then no point in applying there! I do like Notts though

ReputationRep:
    Toffee Kid - No worries lol, good luck to thee.

Crusader - That's my method of application too, well "ish".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_stretch)
    But you're posting links to threads with the scores that people got LAST YEAR to receive an offer from Edinburgh? Where only two people have chosen an option, both with relatively low scores?
    Someone else actually spoke about it, I posted a link to it so people could find it more easily if you wanted to have a look.
    And yes, "LAST YEAR"s application cycle. It's likely to be more relevant than 2006's application cycle. And if you had looked carefully, the poll was only recently started so of course there is few scores.

The statistics posted earlier were just 'chances' of getting in. That poll is asking for specific information. So sorry I posted a link to help people getting lost in cyberspace looking for something, I won't bother next time :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What does it mean when they say you can change your choices after submitting your application as long as it is before the deadline? Surely the application is locked, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.beth.x)
    Exactly. For me there's no point fiddling about with statistics because they either like your application and give you an offer or they don't like you and reject you. This % chance business doesn't make any sense to me. I just know it's going to be hard but different places are looking for different things so you can't really predict your chances anywhere. It only takes one offer though so I just pray I get into somewhere...
    Exactly. No one can really tell what their 'chance' is anywhere, because you don't know what your competition is like, and you don't know whether the person looking at your Personal Statement will like you or not.
    You've just got to do the best you can, and hope luck is with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    What does it mean when they say you can change your choices after submitting your application as long as it is before the deadline? Surely the application is locked, no?
    Well, if your college is like mine, you click pay/send and then the application goes to the college, where they check everything and add a reference, and then send it off. It obviously can take a while for them to add the reference, so as long as your college hasn't sent it off yet they should allow you to access it you realise you've got something majorly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Well, if your college is like mine, you click pay/send and then the application goes to the college, where they check everything and add a reference, and then send it off. It obviously can take a while for them to add the reference, so as long as your college hasn't sent it off yet they should allow you to access it you realise you've got something majorly wrong.
    Ah thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah I think that's what happens at my school too.

I wonder when all the business about Track will arise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Ah thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah I think that's what happens at my school too.

I wonder when all the business about Track will arise.
    I think UCAS send you a form or something once they've received your application. That'll be the next obsession for all of us, I bet we'll have a Track update megathread knowing us lot :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.