Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    dont listen to anyone but yourself. you apply where you want to go. even my choices are slightly ambitious (thinking of cam, imp, edin, bham)...but obviously i'm just trying to get into ONE of them and not all 4.
    If you have 7A* then Birmingham is like the least competitive medical school there is. After interview there's like a 90% offer rate and they interview a good number!

ReputationRep:
    MEna - You ain't alone. I've got five resits aswell as my main three exams so I'll have eight exams in January! Plus the whole UCAS and Medicine stuff. This year's so hectic and just feels like a mad race to the finish line! Can't actually wait for it to be all over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    Hmm, see, that makes me really want to consider B'ham.
    Consider them then, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Sorry if I sound pretty depressing and bleak! I'm really not liking A2 at the moment. I can't wait for this year to be over. Am I the only one that's quite worried that I'm going to mess up all my January exams due to all the UCAS chaos?
    Awwww :hugs:
    I'm thinking this year is going to be a ***** too, to be honest. It's not helpful that I have to spend at least 2 hours a week doing compulsory IT short course GCSE, which I can already do 90% of the stuff for. Literally, last lesson, we spent two hours learning how to log on to the college system (have been able to do this since day one, year one) and formatting text in word to make it look pretty (underlining, changing font, colour etc). It is so soul destroying and frustrating, a chimp could do it! :mad:
    Anyway, I'm pretty worried about January modules too. I think they're going to be difficult. Not much we can do about that though
    Chin up though You'll always have us TSR-ians to moan on at

ReputationRep:
    scaryhair, im interested to know why youre doing this IT short course?

I dont know about the modules this time round: Im loving C3 - that stuff feels natural. Chemistry is my lovechild, so Im happy about it; biology is just a case of memorising some answers, so Im not worried yet.

Yet another wonderful case of why you should do 3A2 levels - it allows you some chill-time.
    It's compulsory :mad:
    French isn't putting on too much pressure, and I'm doing it out of personal interest, no other reason. I just think this year's going to be hard because the actual content will be so much more difficult

ReputationRep:
    Scaryhair why are you doing GCSE IT? seems kinda random

EDIT: it's compulsory in year 13...?

and to eveyone who has January exams, it's not that bad I had 7 last January (ok 6 proper ones because they made me resit a General Studies one) Don't panic about it, besides it's only September!!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    It's compulsory :mad:
    French isn't putting on too much pressure, and I'm doing it out of personal interest, no other reason. I just think this year's going to be hard because the actual content will be so much more difficult
    Oh no I hope German don't start piling the work on soon! Apparently they said it should be easier this year because we've done all the grammar now! Although we did do the imperfect subjunctive today - what a mouthful!!!

ReputationRep:
    It's been made compulsory at my college for everyone who hasn't got an IT qualification to take one.
    I was told at school we were doing one, did all the work, come last day of Year 11 "Oh, sorry, by the way we can't be arsed to send your work off so you won't be getting a qualification"! Let's just say my school was *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    It's been made compulsory at my college for everyone who hasn't got an IT qualification to take one.
    I was told at school we were doing one, did all the work, come last day of Year 11 "Oh, sorry, by the way we can't be arsed to send your work off so you won't be getting a qualification"! Let's just say my school was *****.
    Ouch

I remember doing ICT short course in year 10....then when it came to year 11 it wasn't in our timetable anymore and they said "if you want to do it, please come to the IT room on Wednesdays at lunch". I didn't go, and they seemed to have wasted like a lesson a week for a year lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    If you have 7A* then Birmingham is like the least competitive medical school there is. After interview there's like a 90% offer rate and they interview a good number!
    well it has a chance rate of 33% which is quite low competition (3 people competing for each place).

where u applying to my man?

ReputationRep:
    Personal interest was the only reason I was considering keeping it, but then I realised I could learn a whole lot more by just going there for 6 months or something in the future. My french now is no better than it was at the end of GCSE, which disappointed me. Coursework for french this year really put me off though, so I just thought sod it.
    See, I like the idea of coursework. Takes so much pressure off when it comes to summer exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holsy)
    The physics is awful I agree. My friend who I prepared with today got an A at A2 and struggled with the BMAT physics questions.
    oh holsy, what have we let ourselves in for?!
    on the plus side, the essay questions that i've attempted didn't turn out TOO disastrous. the only drawback was that i was writing it in a free period in the common room, and my friends were gossiping right next to me. hmmm, gossip, or an essay which reads like a communist wrote it?
    that's a toughie

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, but does anyone know when track goes live? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, but does anyone know when track goes live? Cheers.

when you get the letter from ucas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    when you get the letter from ucas
    Yeah the moment I posted that question I realised the answer to it! I was hoping to delete it before anyone read it hehe :/

ReputationRep:
    Oh its not that i dislike coursework...its easy marks, but writing essay after essay in french, that put me off. Currently, I have 7 free periods a week out of 20...and Im just playing table tennis and badly cooking noodles in a microwave for the whole time. I tell you, Im relaxed as hell after dropping french - no horrible long essays that are time consuming and difficult; time to do my work while in school instead of using all my evenings...

Choosing 3 this year was a wise choice. If I dont get AAA this year with all the extra time Ive got to do my work, I will actually die.
    FINALLY! Someone else that plays table tennis! Its soo fun!

ReputationRep:
    We have a damn league in our common room! We gots it goin' on!

Where are you applying? Cause damnit we're having a game. I play so much now...Ive got the spin DOWN.
    haha we started recently (start of September) and are starting a tourney next week, straight knockouts.

Initially realised i loved it after constantly playing it at an open day for a uni

man you are right! Its all about the SPIN!

ReputationRep:
    Well my reference is written!

All that is left for me is to finalise my personal statement and I'm pretty good to go. I've decided on applying to King's even though I will most probably get rejected without interview! At least I will know I tried. I mean I rang up the admissions tutor at King's today and she spent about 10 minutes explaining to me that strong academia would overshadow a low / average UKCAT score and how people have been ringing up asking about a cut-off score and how King's 'rank' applicants based on their score. Apparently this was a load of BS. The ranking matter only applied to those applying for GEP entry at King's, not the undergraduate course. Whether they are actually right about weighing the entire application, well, we'll see. I'm not holding out any hopes for King's. Fingers crossed I guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Well my reference is written!

All that is left for me is to finalise my personal statement and I'm pretty good to go. I've decided on applying to King's even though I will most probably get rejected without interview! At least I will know I tried. I mean I rang up the admissions tutor at King's today and she spent about 10 minutes explaining to me that strong academia would overshadow a low / average UKCAT score and how people have been ringing up asking about a cut-off score and how King's 'rank' applicants based on their score. Apparently this was a load of BS. The ranking matter only applied to those applying for GEP entry at King's, not the undergraduate course. Whether they are actually right about weighing the entire application, well, we'll see. I'm not holding out any hopes for King's. Fingers crossed I guess!

Wow

that sound siiik!!

Have you reached your final Choices i take it?

I need help choosing Between

Bristol
    Leicester
    Kings

Bristol (Dont like the location)
    Leicester (worried that the clinical stuff come in too late and that i would not be able to cope with a semester of straigt lectures)
    Kings (Worried about the UKCAT)

Any ideas?

cant apply anywhere else as they want AAA or my GCSEs dont meet thier criteria!

ReputationRep:
    My Completed Personal Statement is 46 lines and 4000 characters long!

How long is yours? (if its finished or almost finished)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.