Turn on thread page Beta

The UCAS 'chat' thread for all 2009 hopeful medics... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxpemberton)
    that's what i did. when i arrived for interviewed they had a copy of the letter sitting in front of them, along with my appication form. dr cross was there and said she received it and waved it in front of me. i just smiled and made it clear that i didn't expect it to influence their decision (yeah, right) and that was it.

i've just found the letter i wrote, and i'll type it out...
    Dear Dr Cross,
    i am writing to you concerning my recent application to read medicine at your university. As UCAS no longer operates a system which enables applicants to show a preference for the institutions they are applying to, i felt compelled to write to you.

I have given great thought and consideration to my application and the universities to which i have applied. Although i should be happy to go to any of my choices, i wanted you to know that your medical school seemed the friendliest, liveliest one i have seen and is therefore my first choice by far. I have talked to several people who go to UCL, all of whom recommended it highly. I have also spoken to several friends who study medicine there, one of whom is in his third year, another in her fifth. i felt it was very important to make my decision, not only on external information such as the prospectuses i obtained, but also on how the students themselves talk about their universities. When visiting the UCL open day, i met several students who all seemed so settled and happy. this strengthened my resolve to do my best to obtain a place at your university. i do hope you will look upon my application favorably....

bit cringe worthy reading it now, but hey, it worked. had 6 very happy years there.

but only do what you feel comfortable with.. none of my friend at medical school wrote a letter and they all got in! it was just that i so desperately wanted to g to UCL, i couldn't bear the idea that i might get a offered place somewhere else and then get rejected from UCL because they thought i wouldn't accept a place if they'd offered it to me.
    WOW !

I really want to go to SGUL (would have been UCL but my BMAT is disasterous). But, a letter will probably earn me a rejection. Oh well, i better wait then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilentGirl)
    Sometimes, i feel that medicine will give up on me...
    Hey! Hows revision going?

ReputationRep:
    hello !MEna
    most care homes don't have HCA or nurses - that's nursing homes - 'care homes' tend to refer to residential placements such as wardne controlled flats etc. there's no reason why someone shouldn't take their pet with them to one of these places - of course, you're right that if someone is unable to look after their pet then nurses etc shouldn't be expected to look after them. but if you live in a warden controlled block of flats, for example, why shouldn't you be allowed to take your cat with you? in other countries there is explicit legislation protecting those that live in residential placements so they can keep there pets, but nothing as yet in the UK.
    Oh right, I've been helping out with Age Concern in a residential placement and it is exactly how you've described it - warden controlled flats. I've been helping out in an afternoon club with this lady but I always assumed that the carers there were health care assistants. Anyway, I hope something gets done in the UK about the matter since there are clinical benefits and that should really be #1.

What was it like working in old age psychiatry if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    I like writing too. I want to do something for the poor and needy as well as carrying on as a doctor hopefully...

ReputationRep:
    I like writing too. I want to do something for the poor and needy as well as carrying on as a doctor hopefully...
    Writing was/is my first dream. I remember meeting Phillip Ridley,twas an epic day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm88)
    Max, the other thing i wanted to ask you was that as a junior doctor how did you cope with the death of patients and not getting too emotionally attached to them? Are you taught about coping mechanisms at medical school or is it something that you just get on and deal with?
    hahaha - you don't get any preperation really expect for doing human dissection, nothing prepares you for being the doctor on call and having some group of family members grab you in the corridor, bombarding you with questions about their dying relative that you have no idea how to answer. then you have to go and pronounce their relative dead and all the time you can hear them crying outside and you can't tell anyone that all you really want to do is go for a wee and eat a mars bar. but then someone dies and you were holding their hand and you were the last face they looked at and the monumental responsibilities you have are suddenly made acutely real to you, and you realise that there's no place for being :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: or amatuerish or unprofessional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b9muslove)
    Hey! Hows revision going?
    It was going welll...untill this afternooon lol.

My mind went back to SGUL, and when i read somewhere they only have 180 places (does 600 interview) and Im most likely to be rejected from waiting list for having below 600...:cry: If they had more places, i would have gotten an offer probably as I missed the offer range by 1 point. UCL will reject me anyway because of poor BMAT... I really hope Bristol gets back to me. :rolleyes:

I couldnt sleep last night as mymind switched back to medicine. I dont like having a destiny so uncertain.

I was really motivated for my exams...but an offer would have given me the ultimate motivation...so took a break from revision as nothing is going in my brain. Im basically working towards an imaginary offer...:o:

So, how are you doing? I was almost successful from staying away from TSR:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm88)
    Max, the other thing i wanted to ask you was that as a junior doctor how did you cope with the death of patients and not getting too emotionally attached to them? Are you taught about coping mechanisms at medical school or is it something that you just get on and deal with?
    That's something I've had to deal with quite a few times just as an HCA, it's odd the first time, but it's something you have to get used to. I find you have to have a kind of partial detachment from the patient, as once you've dealt with it, you just have to pluck up and carry on with your normal job. There's no easy way of dealing with it I suppose, but you can kind of come to terms with it on experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)

What was it like working in old age psychiatry if you don't mind me asking?
    it was fantastic - i loved every second of it - you'll have to read my third book (publish date feb 2010!) - it's all about it.

ReputationRep:
    that's what i did. when i arrived for interviewed they had a copy of the letter sitting in front of them, along with my appication form. dr cross was there and said she received it and waved it in front of me. i just smiled and made it clear that i didn't expect it to influence their decision (yeah, right) and that was it.

i've just found the letter i wrote, and i'll type it out...
    Dear Dr Cross,
    i am writing to you concerning my recent application to read medicine at your university. As UCAS no longer operates a system which enables applicants to show a preference for the institutions they are applying to, i felt compelled to write to you.

I have given great thought and consideration to my application and the universities to which i have applied. Although i should be happy to go to any of my choices, i wanted you to know that your medical school seemed the friendliest, liveliest one i have seen and is therefore my first choice by far. I have talked to several people who go to UCL, all of whom recommended it highly. I have also spoken to several friends who study medicine there, one of whom is in his third year, another in her fifth. i felt it was very important to make my decision, not only on external information such as the prospectuses i obtained, but also on how the students themselves talk about their universities. When visiting the UCL open day, i met several students who all seemed so settled and happy. this strengthened my resolve to do my best to obtain a place at your university. i do hope you will look upon my application favorably....

bit cringe worthy reading it now, but hey, it worked. had 6 very happy years there.

but only do what you feel comfortable with.. none of my friend at medical school wrote a letter and they all got in! it was just that i so desperately wanted to g to UCL, i couldn't bear the idea that i might get a offered place somewhere else and then get rejected from UCL because they thought i wouldn't accept a place if they'd offered it to me.
    But how would they know you had'nt written a similar letter each medical school you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    well they don't, but god, you'd have balls of steel to do that, wouldn't you! as if admission tutors don't talk to each other!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    Writing was/is my first dream. I remember meeting Phillip Ridley,twas an epic day.
    why are you applying to med?

Cool. I just started my autobiography(draft with fragmented sentences all over).I dont want to publish it. I will keep it as a family thing. I write poetry sometimes, but i never keep a record of them as they bore me later on. I used to paint. I used to be very fluent at it, now im getting rusty(i should get back to it sometime soon).

ReputationRep:
    It was going welll...untill this afternooon lol.

My mind went back to SGUL, and when i read somewhere they only have 180 places (does 600 interview) and Im most likely to be rejected from waiting list for having below 600...:cry: If they had more places, i would have gotten an offer probably as I missed the offer range by 1 point. UCL will reject me anyway because of poor BMAT... I really hope Bristol gets back to me. :rolleyes:

I couldnt sleep last night as mymind switched back to medicine. I dont like having a destiny so uncertain.

I was really motivated for my exams...but an offer would have given me the ultimate motivation...so took a break from revision as nothing is going in my brain. Im basically working towards an imaginary offer...:o:

So, how are you doing? I was almost successful from staying away from TSR:p:
    :hugs: cheer up, as long as you have those grades under you belt than nothing can stop you! I really hope SGUL do get back to you on that waiting list, with some good news i've tried sooooo hard to stay away from TSR, but failed miserably :p: might do what hyeree did and get myself temporarily banned! Revision is just revision i guess! Something in chemistry has been bugging me for a bit though :mad:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: cheer up, as long as you have those grades under you belt than nothing can stop you! I really hope SGUL do get back to you on that waiting list, with some good news i've tried sooooo hard to stay away from TSR, but failed miserably :p: might do what hyeree did and get myself temporarily banned! Revision is just revision i guess! Something in chemistry has been bugging me for a bit though :mad:
    Im doing biology now..then will start on chemistry soon. Luckily, i got days off before each of my physics exams..phew.

Have you revised much?

ReputationRep:
    it was fantastic - i loved every second of it - you'll have to read my third book (publish date feb 2010!) - it's all about it.
    Sold.

ReputationRep:
    Id happily buy max's next book, and the next, and the next, and the next.
    They are awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrVas)
    Id happily buy max's next book, and the next, and the next, and the next.
    They are awesome.
    I want to buy them too. I love medical books.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing biology now..then will start on chemistry soon. Luckily, i got days off before each of my physics exams..phew.

Have you revised much?
    Ermmm i'm not sure what would be classified as 'much', but i'm getting close to learning the biology BYB4 syllabus, for chem pretty much know UC, just got to learn TP and understand TE, some of it i'm finding quite weird oh and maths i'm getting there lol

ReputationRep:
    Ermmm i'm not sure what would be classified as 'much', but i'm getting close to learning the biology BYB4 syllabus, for chem pretty much know UC, just got to learn TP and understand TE, some of it i'm finding quite weird oh and maths i'm getting there lol

Wats TP & TE ? hehe

I never revise maths unless i got mocks. Most of my time is taken up by other subjects. I have 2 days off before C4. Hopefully, i will be fine. Im mostly concerned with bio and chem.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha - you don't get any preperation really expect for doing human dissection, nothing prepares you for being the doctor on call and having some group of family members grab you in the corridor, bombarding you with questions about their dying relative that you have no idea how to answer. then you have to go and pronounce their relative dead and all the time you can hear them crying outside and you can't tell anyone that all you really want to do is go for a wee and eat a mars bar. but then someone dies and you were holding their hand and you were the last face they looked at and the monumental responsibilities you have are suddenly made acutely real to you, and you realise that there's no place for being :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: or amatuerish or unprofessional.
    some of my friends have described me as having a personality a bit like supriya but i really do hope i harden up before becoming a junior doctor if i get into med school. out of interest, when you did your finals in your last year did you have to know everything that you were taught or the 6 years or were they just for clinical medicine?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.