Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    I've also no room to talk about my part time job, but would quite like to get that in there to show time management etc, but I can't think of anything to sacrifice for it!
    Ugh, this is so diffiuclt, if only the limit was 5000 characters...
    i managed to get in about half a line on my job, and it's only because i managed to link it to something else, ie. i said that something had taught me the skills of 'da da da' which was helpful in my job at 'da da da'.
    i wish it was 5000, mine's 5000 at the minute although i STILL haven't managed to include the job i had over the summer!
    god, this is ridiculous. :woo: i think im meant to have redone my PS entirely before i go back to school, but i only get back from my holiday the day before. ARGH!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry a lot of mine is talking about work experience and voluntary work too, because I think I've learnt the most from that that will make me a good doctor
    Remember it's personal to you, so put what you think is important in it. All those other personal statements aren't about you are they?
    Another thing I'm concerned about is that I haven't included the length of time I've been volunteering, so I'm worried it will just look like I've done it for a week or two when I've really done nine months! Do you think I should include that?
    I've also no room to talk about my part time job, but would quite like to get that in there to show time management etc, but I can't think of anything to sacrifice for it!
    Ugh, this is so diffiuclt, if only the limit was 5000 characters...
    Yeah you hit the nail on the head there - it's about me at the end of the day.

I personally haven't mentioned the duration for what I've done since I'd rather save space and use "time" than say "over the past couple of months". That's just my two cents on that - it's your decision at the end of the day.

I totally feel the way you are with regards to having to cut down loads. I've just finished my first draft but have had to leave out a whole week of work experience I did in Year 11. I'll have to talk about that if I get invited for an interview somewhere because I really can't fit it anywhere.

Oh and I haven't used up no more than 94 characters on sport lol! :p:

ReputationRep:
    i feel so behind!
    have started on PS but not really alot.
    im going to conjure up my non-existent writing skills to help me finish it soon ......

and corny is alright imo. everyone else is going to be writing something else,... so why not stick to the cliches? :P
    except im not going to do this.......... too risky :P

ReputationRep:
    hehehe thought it was only me finding difficulties with my personal statement but alas tis not the case!

Personally, i would mention the duration for specific events which show long term dedication but as !Mena stated, you risk having to use more characters which potentially could be used for something else. Also, remember you have your other reference too! So make good use of that.

Still why couldn't it be 5000...i need to put this one thing in...BUT I CANNNNNNNNNNT

ReputationRep:
    Can you already start filling in your UCAS form online? Our college never told us that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    I'm on my 4th draft, and i have not used the word fascination and passion only once!!

which draft are you on?

mine was once 4500 and i killed the useless stuff.
    I'm on my sixth at the moment, and now feeling quite **** about it to be honest. Spoke to a few people in college today, one of them being someone who sits on the medical admissions board for Southampton and they confirmed my fears - it's too cheesy, and too impersonal. I'm still waiting for the PS helpers to acknowledge I've posted another draft, let alone look at it
    I want to get my application in before October in the best care scenario, I feel like I'm running out of time....

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my sixth at the moment, and now feeling quite **** about it to be honest. Spoke to a few people in college today, one of them being someone who sits on the medical admissions board for Southampton and they confirmed my fears - it's too cheesy, and too impersonal. I'm still waiting for the PS helpers to acknowledge I've posted another draft, let alone look at it
    I want to get my application in before October in the best care scenario, I feel like I'm running out of time....

would the soton admissions person help you out or are they not allowed??

post it in a second thread and they are more likely to merge it with your original and say its been updated than by posting in the old one which says Answered!

if that made sense.

how did you manage to get it impersonal, were you trying to avoid using i and my??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    would the soton admissions person help you out or are they not allowed??

post it in a second thread and they are more likely to merge it with your original and say its been updated than by posting in the old one which says Answered!

if that made sense.

how did you manage to get it impersonal, were you trying to avoid using i and my??
    Yeah, they can help me out - I'm not applying to Southampton, and they basically say they can't look at anyone's application from my college.
    It says 'updated' but I usually get an answer confirming that someone will have a look at it, and then they post again with their thoughts, but no such luck
    Of course I used 'I' and 'my' lol! I feel that it's too generic at the moment, it just says all the other stuff that everyone puts it - nothing about it stands out, and I reckon a person reading it who hasn't met me before would get the wrong idea of the person I am. 'Tis not good, not good at all

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they can help me out - I'm not applying to Southampton, and they basically say they can't look at anyone's application from my college.
    It says 'updated' but I usually get an answer confirming that someone will have a look at it, and then they post again with their thoughts, but no such luck
    Of course I used 'I' and 'my' lol! I feel that it's too generic at the moment, it just says all the other stuff that everyone puts it - nothing about it stands out, and I reckon a person reading it who hasn't met me before would get the wrong idea of the person I am. 'Tis not good, not good at all

but then again every ones PS wont stand out unless they have done something extra ordinary like climbed mount Everest or did open heart surgery in a lift with just their keys and a pen!!

so that another thing that worries me cos ill just blend in to the crowd and then they'll just chose people according to merit and ill end up being rejected cos every one else will have a similar personal statement and better academics

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Try not to worry dear, you've got plenty of time to get it up to scratch. It's not as if you're going to send off your application on September 1st. I say pick an absolute deadline and do as much as you can before you go back to school to improve it. I've sent my PS to a few current medics on this board and am awaiting to here feedback from the two I've asked. I've asked a few of my sister's friends who are medics at Imperial to check it out and give me some feedback so try and do the same and use as many connections as you can.

I've got some very unique (well I think they're good lol) lines but the overall quality of my PS feels a bit too 'mature' if you understand where I'm coming from. Like I don't feel I've managed to transport the bubbly character that I am with what I've wrote so far but then again I feel that it's important to not lose focus and remember that it's a serious piece of writing at the end of the day.

I'm a bit bummed that I've only included my experience at the nursing home, plus two weeks of work experience, plus my year volunteering at Oxfam, and my extra cirriculars such as sport, reading, mentoring...etc. I've actually done three weeks worth of work experience in hospitals though I really can't fit it all in so I feel like I'm being forced to leave it out.

ReputationRep:
    Eurrrrrrgh PS.

Mine is currently at 4027 characters (grrr) and seems perfect whenever I finish tweaking it, only for me to look at it again a few days later and consider it psychotic unstructured word vomit. :mad:

I've also written predominantly about my work experience, hopefully the right thing to do. Thing is, I reckon we've all got very similar academic records, and very similar extracurriculars. The only area we'll all differ from one another is in WEX, so I think that must be key to choosing candidates.

Sad to say, there's only a cramped, ickle paragraph near the end about my sports and dance history, but it looks just that - rushed and an afterthought. There's a slightly less compact paragraph to do with any Science achievements and interest, some of which I've had to leave out (grrr some more), but it's mostly my work and WEX in there.

God, I hate these things!!! /rant.

ReputationRep:
    Just posted my PS in the PS helpers section; looking forward to getting some feedback about it there.

I just got feedback from one of the medics I sent a message to and I feel reassured that what I wrote wasn't a complete shamble haha! I was so nervous about sending it too. I need to tweak so much of it still but I'm just glad I've got a solid foundation to build up from. Looking forward to hearing from some of the other medics I've asked and read their take on what I need to improve.

They're so nice and helpful! :o:

ReputationRep:
    I will hopefully be using the PS Helpers Section, but I seriously think my PS is way too long at the moment to send in. Probably will wait to send it in when I get to my 3rd or 4th draft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Just posted my PS in the PS helpers section; looking forward to getting some feedback about it there.

I just got feedback from one of the medics I sent a message to and I feel reassured that what I wrote wasn't a complete shamble haha! I was so nervous about sending it too. I need to tweak so much of it still but I'm just glad I've got a solid foundation to build up from. Looking forward to hearing from some of the other medics I've asked and read their take on what I need to improve.

They're so nice and helpful! :o:
    Just out of interest, what medics are you sending them to? I may have to send mine to them and beg for their help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magichearts)
    I will hopefully be using the PS Helpers Section, but I seriously think my PS is way too long at the moment to send in. Probably will wait to send it in when I get to my 3rd or 4th draft.
    My advice would be to send the whole thing in now, and the PS helpers can point out which bits to definitely cut and keep. I'm sure they've seen other Personal Statements way over the limit

ReputationRep:
    out of interest, how many people here are taking 4 A Levels next year? (not including GS or CT). i just saw a thread that someone's posted asking whether they should do 4 & it got me wondering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusx)
    out of interest, how many people here are taking 4 A Levels next year? (not including GS or CT). i just saw a thread that someone's posted asking whether they should do 4 & it got me wondering.
    I'm not, well I really hope I won't have to. I still have to discuss dropping Computing with my head of year when I go back next week but if it all goes as planned, I'll just be carrying on to A2 doing Biology, Chemistry, and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I am, but only because my fourth is French and I want to become more fluent in it, I'm not taking it for any reasons related to applications and things. And I have to take IT GCSE this year, as my college is making everyone who hasn't got an IT qualification do one

ReputationRep:
    i'll be doing 4 as there's not really a reason for me to drop anything. you can do 3 for all universities...but if you're looking at oxbridge, nearly all applicants have 4 or more A2s...

ReputationRep:
    i was going to do carry on and do all four next year. but i had to put in too much effort for maths this year & i don't want to do that next year, esp. with bio & chem being so much harder.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.