Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At least in Chemistry, there's only one correct answer and all it involves is method of working out or mechanism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gangsta Boogie)
    Hey,

For those of you who are aiming for A's and B's in biology, when doing practise papers how do you know to say the right thing to get a mark!? E.g I know the knowledge, and I put it in there, it's just that I haven't included one small word or they said that something else gets a mark instead. It's so annoying, because you can't really speak to the examiner and say to him " but what I said was correct also". So how do you get the high grades and know what to say to get the marks. I'm doing the AQA Human Biology A syllabus if that helps.

This is only the case for some questions though.

TY.
    Hey,
    I'm doing the same specification as you but the Biology option, so I know exactly how you feel. I think the only answer is to do lots of past papers, mark them, and where you lose marks write in red pen what you should have written. Eventually, you should be able to learn the sort of phrasing that they're looking for as similar questions come up and you recall what was on previous mark schemes.
    Also, I don't think you have to get the answer word for word the same as the mark scheme - as long as you get the same key words and the general gist then I wouldn't worry too much - they should give you a mark as long as you use the words they're looking for and get the idea over.
    Hope that helps somewhat

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, most of it is recall, though every so often you do get some weird questions showing a graph you think has no relation to your module, and then asked questions on it. But we're allowed to lose a 1/3 of the marks ( approx.) and still get an A, why do I go wrong then!?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. With regards to the six mark questions, I think over everything I know about that topic, and write about them in a simple manner with lots of scientific terminology - that way I tend to get most of those marks.
    I think the key is to leave no question unanswered and to check and recheck your paper. A blank answer will definitely get no marks, but a shot in the dark or educated guess has a chance of getting marks, and it is little marks like these that all add up. I also find that I make a lot of silly mistakes that I pick up on after going through the paper when I've finished, which can pick up the odd mark here or there.
    For the seemingly random questions, you just have to think they must in some way be related to what you've learnt, you just sometimes need to apply your knowledge to an unfamiliar situation. Read and reread the question, and rack your brain for anything and everything that might be related, and have a shot at it! You've got nothing to lose, after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    I don't know. With regards to the six mark questions, I think over everything I know about that topic, and write about them in a simple manner with lots of scientific terminology - that way I tend to get most of those marks.
    I think the key is to leave no question unanswered and to check and recheck your paper. A blank answer will definitely get no marks, but a shot in the dark or educated guess has a chance of getting marks, and it is little marks like these that all add up. I also find that I make a lot of silly mistakes that I pick up on after going through the paper when I've finished, which can pick up the odd mark here or there.
    For the seemingly random questions, you just have to think they must in some way be related to what you've learnt, you just sometimes need to apply your knowledge to an unfamiliar situation. Read and reread the question, and rack your brain for anything and everything that might be related, and have a shot at it! You've got nothing to lose, after all.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll act upon it and see how it turns out. Have you fully revised for Module 5 or are you still in the process? I need to remember everything which goes on in photosynthesis and respiration.

ReputationRep:
    Guess who finally started revision today!
    Meeeeee

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

For those of you who are aiming for A's and B's in biology, when doing practise papers how do you know to say the right thing to get a mark!? E.g I know the knowledge, and I put it in there, it's just that I haven't included one small word or they said that something else gets a mark instead. It's so annoying, because you can't really speak to the examiner and say to him " but what I said was correct also". So how do you get the high grades and know what to say to get the marks. I'm doing the AQA Human Biology A syllabus if that helps.

This is only the case for some questions though.

TY.
    This is the main thing about exams. Usually the best thing to do is literally memorise mark schemes after you've done the paper. With AQA B, there are usually questions that always have the same structure. Like with speciation questions, the points are literally exactly the same from year to year. You also get a general feel of the sort of stuff they want you to say.

And Happy New Year everyone! You guys have been really supportive and it's been really great fun Let's hope for the best next year for all of us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    decided to take a break from work and watch gossip girl - my gf always goes on about how good it is so i'm gonna go downstairs, grab some cake and watch a few episodes - how feminine of me! :p:
    bless! did you enjoy it? i envy all of them.
    and to echo Sanjetti, Happy New Year to all of you! Hopefully 2009 will be a good year

ReputationRep:
    Happy New Year guys!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, I'll act upon it and see how it turns out. Have you fully revised for Module 5 or are you still in the process? I need to remember everything which goes on in photosynthesis and respiration.
    Still in the process-it's my last exam so I'm focussing on the others first.

Happy New Year everyone Hope you all have a great time!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, an offer for me this year...

ReputationRep:
    happy new year!

i wish everyone the best for 2009!

ReputationRep:
    happy new year guys.

i hope 2009 is our year and brings luck to us all

ReputationRep:
    Happiest of new years my fellow potential medics! :woo:

On a slightly more sombre note, how many modules of exams are people doing this coming January? (I'm doing three, one being a resit)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serbinator)
    Happiest of new years my fellow potential medics! :woo:

On a slightly more sombre note, how many modules of exams are people doing this coming January? (I'm doing three, one being a resit)
    10:yep:

happy new year everyone:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Got 4 exams in Jan.

Happy new year everyone! Good luck with your applications

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know,if it is adream posing as a tearful tsrian ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusx)
    bless! did you enjoy it? i envy all of them.
    and to echo Sanjetti, Happy New Year to all of you! Hopefully 2009 will be a good year
    it was pretty good (started from s1 ep1, got up to ep5 before i went to bed) - the main blond girl is well fit too so that kept me entertained.:p:
    but, damn their lives are so dramatic for 17/18 year olds!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Happy New Year guys!

All the best for 2009 - it's going to be a pretty eventful year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    it was pretty good (started from s1 ep1, got up to ep5 before i went to bed) - the main blond girl is well fit too so that kept me entertained.:p:
    but, damn their lives are so dramatic for 17/18 year olds!:eek:
    Blair and Vanessa is hotter. :p:

:love:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.