Turn on thread page Beta

The UCAS 'chat' thread for all 2009 hopeful medics... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    Okay so I did better than expect on UKCAT and got 720 810 750 880. I was planning on applying to Oxford UCL Cardiff and Manchester but is it worth maybe applying to three UKCAT ones and one BMAT? Or do they not use it much...

Apply 2 Three UKCAT unis seeing as you've done sooooo well init!!

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I did better than expect on UKCAT and got 720 810 750 880. I was planning on applying to Oxford UCL Cardiff and Manchester but is it worth maybe applying to three UKCAT ones and one BMAT? Or do they not use it much...
    First of all, congratulations on your score!

To be honest, my advice would be to apply wherever you want, irrespective of your UKCAT. Doing well shouldn't be a barrier to stop you applying for where you really want to go!! (Especially as, I suspect, UCL would be your second choice?)

Personally, I'm only applying to one UKCAT uni.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff barely use the UKCAT :p:

Anywho, just apply where you want irrespective of test results.

I'm having second thoughts on any London University... to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    First of all, congratulations on your score!

To be honest, my advice would be to apply wherever you want, irrespective of your UKCAT. Doing well shouldn't be a barrier to stop you applying for where you really want to go!! (Especially as, I suspect, UCL would be your second choice?)

Personally, I'm only applying to one UKCAT uni.
    Oddly enough, Cardiff is my second choice, and it's quite close to Oxford in terms of how much I want to go there. I don't really wanna stay in London so unfortunately UCL doesn't appeal to me that much. Thanks for advice
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    eeek, UCAS have now processed my application....so i just need to wait for the welcome letter and then it will be track-checking time soon...Hope you're all getting on well with your apps...good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenifaar)
    eeek, UCAS have now processed my application....so i just need to wait for the welcome letter and then it will be track-checking time soon...Hope you're all getting on well with your apps...good luck to everyone!
    Good luck! Where did you apply to?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Good luck! Where did you apply to?
    thanks edinburgh, glasgow, durham and newcastle, with neuroscience at ed as a backup, tho i'd probably reapply if that was the only offer i got...what about you, where you applying?

ReputationRep:
    thanks edinburgh, glasgow, durham and newcastle, with neuroscience at ed as a backup, tho i'd probably reapply if that was the only offer i got...what about you, where you applying?
    Oooh right all up north! I thought you had to apply to Durham and Newcastle together? I dunno...
    Ermm I'm applying probably to Cardiff Oxford UCL and Manchester... but haven't completely decided
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    How long did the letter take to come through?
    I haven't got it yet, so I imagine it will take a few days. You can log onto Track as soon as your app goes through, though - there's just not much to see at the minute!

Oooh right all up north! I thought you had to apply to Durham and Newcastle together? I dunno...
    Ermm I'm applying probably to Cardiff Oxford UCL and Manchester... but haven't completely decided
    Ah, sounds good. No, applications for each are dealt with by different admissions teams...you just qualify with a Newcastle degree, which is why they both go under Newcastle on UCAS...it's weird! And yeah, i'm a northern girl...i wondered about venturing all the way down south to Leeds but...mm. I like these med schools better. Hope your application goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, sounds good. No, applications for each are dealt with by different admissions teams...you just qualify with a Newcastle degree, which is why they both go under Newcastle on UCAS...it's weird! And yeah, i'm a northern girl...i wondered about venturing all the way down south to Leeds but...mm. I like these med schools better. Hope your application goes well!
    Ooh right okay! I was thinking about them but I think they were a bit too north for me! Weird to think the Leeds is 'all the way down south', it's sooo far away from London! I hope yours goes well too, I'm amazed you got everything sorted out so early!

ReputationRep:
    i'm a northern girl...i wondered about venturing all the way down south to Leeds
    "All the way down south"! how far is leeds from you? i'm a northern girl too but from halifax, so not as north as you, presumably!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lotusx)
    "All the way down south"! how far is leeds from you? i'm a northern girl too but from halifax, so not as north as you, presumably!
    Yeeah, I know Leeds isn't that far down at all, but it feels it...I live in Newcastle (tho I'm from Glasgow originally so I'm a Scot at heart...) and it takes about...2 hours to Leeds or so? Is it north or south of Hallifax?? (Sorry, my geography is actually appalling :p: )

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the verge of sending off my UCAS application!

Nevertheless, I'm starting to get nervous about King's...I'm also considering putting up a fifth choice for Biomedical Sciences at uh I dunno - Durham lol? Seriously, I don't really know much about the fifth one? They don't interview for Biomedical Sciences right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I'm on the verge of sending off my UCAS application!

Nevertheless, I'm starting to get nervous about King's...I'm also considering putting up a fifth choice for Biomedical Sciences at uh I dunno - Durham lol? Seriously, I don't really know much about the fifth one? They don't interview for Biomedical Sciences right?
    I think the question is whether you'd actually go if you got rejected from all your medical schools and you were left with just biomedical sciences... or whether you'd take a year out anyway :p:

I mean, otherwise you're just taking someone else's place... potentially :yep:

I don't think they interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    I think the question is whether you'd actually go if you got rejected from all your medical schools and you were left with just biomedical sciences... or whether you'd take a year out anyway :p:

I mean, otherwise you're just taking someone else's place... potentially :yep:

I don't think they interview.
    I would take a year out and reapply to be honest. I just feel like I'm the odd one out, well not here, but at school. A few of my friends have put down Biomedical Science at St. George's which offer BBC. I just think it feels a bit arrogant for me to not use the space as what it is - a back up. I don't really know if putting down a fifth will show that I'm not as committed to Medicine to my four choices but then again, it is understandable to put one down just in case things go pear shaped in a year's time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I would take a year out and reapply to be honest. I just feel like I'm the odd one out, well not here, but at school. A few of my friends have put down Biomedical Science at St. George's which offer BBC. I just think it feels a bit arrogant for me to not use the space as what it is - a back up. I don't really know if putting down a fifth will show that I'm not as committed to Medicine to my four choices but then again, it is understandable to put one down just in case things go pear shaped in a year's time.
    Putting down biomedical sciences is fine if you're willing to go if you don't get any medicine offers! Otherwise I think it's just a bit harsh on those people who apply to do biomedical sciences, because they have medics competing with them for offers and some of those medics don't even want to go, if you get what I mean lol :p:

If you can interview well, you should be fine anyway. Be optimistic

ReputationRep:
    Putting down biomedical sciences is fine if you're willing to go if you don't get any medicine offers! Otherwise I think it's just a bit harsh on those people who apply to do biomedical sciences, because they have medics competing with them for offers and some of those medics don't even want to go, if you get what I mean lol :p:

If you can interview well, you should be fine anyway. Be optimistic

Oh Please

There were loads of spaces for biomedical science in clearing this year!

So your not depriving anyone thats just bull********!

(at Stoton,Kings and Bham anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    Oh Please

There were loads of spaces for biomedical science in clearing this year!

So your not depriving anyone thats just bull********!

(at Stoton,Kings and Bham anyway)
    It really depends on where you apply to be honest... If it's Edinburgh or Imperial then it's likely that you will.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on where you apply to be honest... If it's Edinburgh or Imperial then it's likely that you will.

agreed

Im going for b ham which i know had spaces at clearing this year so its a safe bet, ill get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    agreed

Im going for b ham which i know had spaces at clearing this year so its a safe bet, ill get an offer.
    True, I'm just not applying for biomed to be honest. I'm going to take a year out IF I don't get in, though I'm confident I will, hopefully :p:

If I happen to, for some unforeseen reason, change my mind... my grades shouldn't be a problem in clearing

Good luck with your application anyway!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.