Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *...smiling away....*)
    lol, i scraped an A in chem last year as well 240/300 bt my scary chem teacher has faith in me so i'm pushing myself this year too. i don't think i'd ever forgive myself if i didnt get into medicine after having an offer because i screwed up my chem.

i'm sure you've done well though you seem to have been revising a lot from your previous posts.
    Yeah, Chemistry really is the main one. I'd be gutted if I had to reapply for entry next year with a B in Chemistry, since that would limit my choices quite substantially, even with A's in the rest of my subjects.

Oh and congrats on the SOTON offer!

(Original post by mittal1989)
    how was the unit 2 chem paper my unit 1 was not that great it was SOOO WEIRDDD ive got byb5 and unit 4 chem too so were in the same boat d u alredy have an offer for med
    I don't want to breach the Edexcel discussions rules since it hasn't been 24 hours yet so I won't go into anything specific. It felt very different to the past papers I had done, though I personally felt it was slightly better than the paper we got in June, which was quite hard. This one was more wordy though whereas past papers were a lot more direct. Other than that, a pretty standard paper.

Good luck with Unit 4 and BYB5. You ready for them?

Oh and no offers or interview or news just yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I can't really talk about it just yet but I had my Unit 2 (Nuffield) Chemistry resit today. I really hope I did myself justice with it. I've always felt a bit anxious about getting an A in A-Level Chemistry because I scraped it at AS with 241/300 so I'm hoping I've banked more marks.

My next exam is on Tuesday with Unit 4 (Nuffield) Chemistry, which I feel prepared for. After that it's going to be a disaster! The next day I have an S1 resit, then on Thursday I have BYB4 and BYB5...AND then on Friday I'm sitting CPT4. It's slightly worrying that I still yet haven't started proper revision for BYB5 and CPT4.
    hopefully you did well in your unit 2 retake? What teacher do you have for chemistry and biology? Used to go to WBGS so I may know

So I had my biology moc today and it went pretty well. This 1 essay question for 10 marks (they cut out essay Qs nowadays) asked to describe how a nerve impulse was created in the post-syanptic AFTER neurotransmitters were secreted. I started by saying the neurotransmitters diffuse across the synaptic cleft and bind to specific receptors but didn't really know what to say after apart from the whole depolarisation thing after as the question seemed a bit limited for 10 marks.. I should have talked about saltatory conduction maybe..

Oh well, was only a moc And won't have any 10 markers in my test!

ReputationRep:
    kelly is one screwed up kid. and that max girl is stupid! isnt she the one who got pregnant last year? i love how they've gt rid of brett and mikah with no explaination! i don't watch hustle but i've been meaning to.

yh u have an offer too right? nah im nt going to the offer day, i've had two tours of the uni already and i cant really afford another ticket to london atm. r u going? if you get a look at inside of the accomadation could you let me know what ist like? its the only thing im curious about really.

o and have u started you hep b immunisation? had my first one today and i don't think the nurse like me very much it was pretty much;
    -so you're gonna be a medical student?
    -ye..(she stabs me with the needle)..s

its still bleeding... :hmmm:

sorry for the monster post lol
    umm im starting mine this wed- that certainyl doesn't help! lol

and yea so im not the only one not going to it! i am on holidays then so cnt make it- hatman, could you also lemme know what you thought of the uni itself, the staff etc.

the only thing that i dnt like about barts is pbl!!! i hate the sound of it but let's c i guess... so hope that i get into st geo!

btw smiling face, congrats on ur southampton- i think it was- offer! n ve u and hatman for that matter had ur medical checkup yet (blood tests etc)- im doing that next week and am very nervous as that is the only thing potentially stopping me now from getting into med!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    For Chemistry, I have Collins and Slater. Last year I had Sykesud and Purcell.
    For Biology, I have Cochrane and Bocancier. Last year I had Cochrane and Parry.

I'm pretty sure you're familiar with Collins, Sykesud, Cochrane and Parry, no? :p:
    hmm not sure who Sykesud is.. lmao - Collins is just hilarious and Slater is just hawt haha. Collins always used to give us detentions and go like 'grrreeeen cyaaarrd' (green card) saturday detention if we messed around - was so funny and we always did the impression behind his back and he flipped xD

Shame about cochrane. He really isn't a very good teacher and I cannot imagine having him Unless he's changed of course.. Is he still the head of biology? Parry was OK but quite strict and always used to come up with the most random stories about his diving experiences and stuff.. quite fun but never learnt much.

Good luck with your exams Off to revise some chemistry.

EDIT: lmao, has cochrane ever told you about the story where someone sent him a letter and it said 'Dear Mr. Cockram' ? Lmao, I laughed so hard at that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Here is Collins at his best:

:toofunny:

Oh, did you ever see that thing he did with his arms and feet? He's just a bit weird. :p:

Yeah, really, don't make me start with Cochrane. He is indeed still the Head of Department and what a joke of a position it must be if he's running the show. He is awful. A disgusting, inappropriate and bad-mannered man. Not much else to say about him other than he can't teach, hence why the entire year will end up failing BYB5 since it was his fantastic idea to enter us all for BYB4 and BYB5 this January.
    Benzene rings !!!

My chem T didnt even draw like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly^2)
    Cool, how you finding revision?
    I don't find the content hard to understand it's just the sheer volume of it. That and the fact that the mark schemes have some weird answers and sometimes don't give you the marks for a perfectly valid answer because they've decided it should be answered in such and such a way!
    its allright i guess, but there is too much to learn....mostly the stuff on loop of henle and all that nerve impulse crap how are you finding yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)

Oh, did you ever see that thing he did with his arms and feet? He's just a bit weird. :p:

Yeah, really, don't make me start with Cochrane. He is indeed still the Head of Department and what a joke of a position it must be if he's running the show. He is awful. A disgusting, inappropriate and bad-mannered man. Not much else to say about him other than he can't teach, hence why the entire year will end up failing BYB5 since it was his fantastic idea to enter us all for BYB4 and BYB5 this January.
    was he teaching delocalisation energy of benzene?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)

lmao! That picture is hilarious. I actually once got a picture of him on my phone in front of this random experiment he did - was like fireworks

I can't believe Mr Cochrane entered you for BYB5!!! I mean, what the hell!? That man really is such a bad teacher too - he doesn't even teach as far as I know. I would seriously fail my biology with him - best of luck lol. Can't believe he is still the head of biology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shriya)
    was he teaching delocalisation energy of benzene?
    I assumed it was the difference of enthalpy between kekules benzene and the real benzene?
    Still got lots of work to do obviously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahrukh24)
    I assumed it was the difference of enthalpy between kekules benzene and the real benzene?
    i just learned about that yesterday.
    fun times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahrukh24)
    yes, we are talking about the same thing.Delocalisation energy is the enthalpy difference between the kekule benzene and the real benzene, unless i have got this wrong

ReputationRep:
    kelly is one screwed up kid. and that max girl is stupid! isnt she the one who got pregnant last year? i love how they've gt rid of brett and mikah with no explaination! i don't watch hustle but i've been meaning to.

yh u have an offer too right? nah im nt going to the offer day, i've had two tours of the uni already and i cant really afford another ticket to london atm. r u going? if you get a look at inside of the accomadation could you let me know what ist like? its the only thing im curious about really.

o and have u started you hep b immunisation? had my first one today and i don't think the nurse like me very much it was pretty much;
    -so you're gonna be a medical student?
    -ye..(she stabs me with the needle)..s

its still bleeding... :hmmm:

sorry for the monster post lol
    its okay yh init tho, i hate it when shows do that, ah well, i want to get that denzel boy out of jail, i feel so bad even if its just a tv show lol
    yh i do, will be going there unless i get an offer from kings or ucl, the latter is unlikely but im hoping for kings, but would love to go barts. yh im going, i live in london so its ok for me and tbh i never went on the tour after the interview coz it was quite late, and i wasnt in the mood, and i knew that if i do get an offer i could always come to the post offer open day. the main reason im going is to miss college might aswell. yh ill let you know what the accomodations like. ive heard its quite nice, and relatively cheap. well im just hoping its nothing like ucl's, which was awful!

no i havent, i better hurry up and get a move on and sort that out. but i was waiting for the offer letter to come through, coz my nurse said i needed that to show them otherwise they wouldnt immunise me . but now ive got the letter, ill pop down next week after my exam and book an appointment with the nurse. ahhh long, im glad the letter just said that immunisation was strongly reccomended and not a condition for getting in would hate to miss out on an offer over something stupid like not being immunised against hep b!
    lol check my monster reply! what exams you got left?
    ive got AQA CHM4 on tuesday (anyone else got that?) and edexcel bio unit 4 on thurs (again anyone else?). the ive got a whole week off to chill, because study leaves ends for me on 2nd of feb, its 2 sikkk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :::mEdIcAl_GuNnEr:::)
    n ve u and hatman for that matter had ur medical checkup yet (blood tests etc)- im doing that next week and am very nervous as that is the only thing potentially stopping me now from getting into med!!!!
    is that the non infectivity test for hep b? i am so confused bout what we need to do! the offer letter didnt explain anything, and we have to wait till the end of may to get all the paperwork we need to fill in!
    the letter said it reccomends we get immunised, it wasnt put down as a condition in other words
    ucas says we need a certificate of non infectivity for hep b
    now whats the difference, are they the same?

ReputationRep:
    So many soton offers around us. I feel silly getting rejected haha. I wouldnt mind if ti was my ukcat which put them off. I hope my PS isnt that bad...If both of my Bio teachers were Ok with it then i dont see any problem with it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatman09MedPlz)
    ive got AQA CHM4 on tuesday (anyone else got that?) and edexcel bio unit 4 on thurs (again anyone else?). the ive got a whole week off to chill, because study leaves ends for me on 2nd of feb, its 2 sikkk
    Yeah me lol.

How is your prep? You only have 3 dont you !!! Mine was going ok at the beginning of the holiday but day by day its slowing down when the exams are nearing. Its not disasterous but should move faster...Ah medicine :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)

LOL

My old maths teacher from GCSE is a good competitor with him though, it's just my maths teacher was a **** and that guy looks quite cool.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lTgfNkNfrAE

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=amA8fRyHzjs

He seemed to do that dance a fair few times...

Needless to say, his teaching was poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Yeah, Chemistry really is the main one. I'd be gutted if I had to reapply for entry next year with a B in Chemistry, since that would limit my choices quite substantially, even with A's in the rest of my subjects.

Oh and congrats on the SOTON offer!
    Thankyou! and keep working for that A, i'm going to go revise for mine as well now...

ReputationRep:
    This thread is turning into 'lets insult our teachers' thread ... oh boy.

Its all good as far as no rejections...

ReputationRep:
    To MEna : Collins seems like having a detention against the wall..hehe

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I'm not looking forward to this weekend. I have no idea how I'm going to get through this upcoming week. I've got five exams stretched over a duration of four consecutive days. No study leave yet still expected to turn up to normal lessons between these exams. One day at a time I guess. I can't wait till this time next week.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.